How do you use the tunable feedback feature?

How do you use the tunable feedback feature?
« on: November 20, 2018, 11:33:21 PM »
I haven't been able to use the feedback circuit successfully myself. I will only sometimes apply a slight amount to color the timbre a bit just because it's there. but I have wondered how other owners have been able to utilize the tool in more creative ways and if you'd like to share the best ways you like to apply it in sound design.

Re: How do you use the tunable feedback feature?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 06:17:28 AM »
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karplus%E2%80%93Strong_string_synthesis

Great for synthesizing hard attack, biting sounds. I've created patches just using the feedback circuit and delay lines, no oscillator required!

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 01:36:56 PM »
Newish P12 owner here, but I was getting some interesting sounds from the feedback section, by modulating the feedback amount, with an aux 3/4 envelope, the feedback amount decays quicker than the note, or is just there for some spice on the attack.

Karplus strong works by feeding a short click into a short, resonant delay, to make it ring. The VCA is after the feedback section, but you can make a click before the feedback section by using an Aux Envelope (3 or 4) to modulate the Osc. level. You set the Osc. level knob to zero, and then the amount of the aux envelope modulating the Osc. level to however loud you want the click to be.

You get different sounds by using a burst of noise, or a high tone, into the feedback section.

Modulating the individual Oscillator levels with the Aux envelopes is a nice feature of the P12, in general.

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2019, 05:04:23 AM »
I just got my P12, so useless to say that I'm not a master of this little beast.
I'm trying to make a Karplus Strong patch that is in tune with the keyboard.
Is it even possible ? 

EDIT :
My previous comment was actually applying to the 4 delay lines. The feedback amount in the "Feedback" section seems to be far from enough.
So, any tips to tune the delay lines ?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 05:11:18 AM by chapelier fou »

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2019, 09:52:51 AM »

Hi all,

Note Number to Delay Time should do this.
eventually hold the oscs rather low, under 100, to avoid distortion.
sometimes the tuned feedback helps to tame FM or crazy modulations.
play it polyphonic even in sound design mode.

Hope this helps,

Martin

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2019, 12:14:30 PM »
In case I wasn't clear above, I want to use one of the 4 delay lines.
The Feedback circuit does indeed track the keyboard, but the sonic qualities of the result are far from interesting to my ears.
The feedback is far from enough and there is no filter in the feedback loop.

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2019, 11:00:36 AM »
Well, me and the P12 don't match. I sent it back, but still curious to know if there was a way.

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2019, 02:03:04 AM »

Note Number to Delay Time 1-4 should do this.