Very basic MIDI setup question

Very basic MIDI setup question
« on: November 17, 2018, 08:06:34 AM »
As I probably announce every time I post anything here, I'm not much a tech-headed fellow. MIDI still falls under the category of "magik," far as I'm concerned. I don't think what I'm looking to do is impossible, but neither am I yet getting what I'm not getting, if that makes sense. Thus, I turn to you folks!

Here's what I've got, gear-wise, in the equation:

Prophet 6 as master keyboard.
Pro Tools 8 running with MBox 2, which has MIDI IN/OUT.
DSI Evolver
Korg MS20mini
Juno 6 (freshly MIDI-retrofitted - yay!)
Dark Energy
Kenton Thru-5 MIDI Thru box.

The P6 runs MIDI OUT into the Kenton MIDI IN. The MBox takes MIDI input from one of the Kenton's THRUs. The other THRUs run to the other synths listed (though the addition of the Juno means that it's back to unplugging and replugging, depending on which mono synth I need to run. The MBox MIDI OUT runs to the P6.

With things set up like this, I can play all synths from the P6. And any MIDI track recorded in Pro Tools plays back on the Prophet.

My question(s, turns out...) is how do I also have PT control the synths via MIDI tracks? Is there a different/better way to run my cables via the MBox and Kenton, or is there anything involving changing MIDI channels (pretty sure everything is set to Channel 1, or ALL, maybe...)

I'm hoping my mess of ??? has a simple-enough solution.

Thanks!

jok3r

Re: Very basic MIDI setup question
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2018, 02:39:44 PM »
I don't have a clue how flexible Pro Tools' MIDI Routing capabilities are, but I would guess since it's one of the Big DAWs it should do it in a similar way like Cubase/Ableton Live/... so if you already work with a PC and a DAW, I would connect it as follows:

1. Set all synth to different MIDI-Channels, if not done already

2. Connect MIDI Out from P6 with MIDI In of your MBox.

3. Connect the Input of the Through-Box with the MIDI Out of your MBox.

4. Connect all other synth's Inputs with the Throughs of the Through-Box

Now you should be able to do a routing of say Channel 1 for the P6 to Channel 3 in your DAW. This way you can play every synth directly, if you configure a proper routing, but you can play back pre-recorded MIDI tracks from the P6 also.

Did I miss something? That's basically the setup I'm running here. S90ES as Masterkeyboard goes into my PC and gets routed every other synth I want to play. The only difference is: I'm doing everything per USB MIDI, but that should not make a difference...
Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES

Re: Very basic MIDI setup question
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2018, 05:27:08 AM »
I don't have a clue how flexible Pro Tools' MIDI Routing capabilities are, but I would guess since it's one of the Big DAWs it should do it in a similar way like Cubase/Ableton Live/... so if you already work with a PC and a DAW, I would connect it as follows:

1. Set all synth to different MIDI-Channels, if not done already

2. Connect MIDI Out from P6 with MIDI In of your MBox.

3. Connect the Input of the Through-Box with the MIDI Out of your MBox.

4. Connect all other synth's Inputs with the Throughs of the Through-Box

Now you should be able to do a routing of say Channel 1 for the P6 to Channel 3 in your DAW. This way you can play every synth directly, if you configure a proper routing, but you can play back pre-recorded MIDI tracks from the P6 also.

Did I miss something? That's basically the setup I'm running here. S90ES as Masterkeyboard goes into my PC and gets routed every other synth I want to play. The only difference is: I'm doing everything per USB MIDI, but that should not make a difference...

Thank you for this. I'll look forward to trying it out soon as I can!