End of the Prophet 12!

dslsynth

Re: End of the Prophet 12!
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2018, 02:40:47 PM »
Knowing Dave, I'd put my money on a Prophet 24 if that's the strategy.  I'm guessing it's going to be a P12 / PolyEvolver lovechild.

Lots of hope out there but lets see what happens as constrained designs are a Sequential signature. I would suspect a Prophet 16 rather than a Prophet 24 though. What I would be most curious about is how the oscillator waveforms will be and if user waveshapes will be supported. But its so easy to dream about a lot of interesting features that may never pass The Dave Filter (TM) and hence make it into an actual Sequential product.
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2018, 03:06:50 PM »
Robot Heart wrote this on another thread:

"We're not in the habit of making rev 2 synths, so no, there will not be a P12 Rev 2."

That suggests to me there will not be another form of the Prophet 12 either, including one with expanded voices.

LoboLives

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2018, 03:12:16 PM »
Something I've noticed
Prophet 6 is almost a modern incarnation of the Prophet-5
AS1 is a modern incarnation of the Pro 1
Prophet REV 2 is similar to things like the Prophet 600 or Six Trak (as in a more affordable but highly capable synth)
Prophet X is a modern Prophet 2000.

That leaves (among other things) the Prophet VS to get it's own modern representation.

LoboLives

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2018, 03:15:43 PM »
I do hope we will see a bit of variety visually from Sequential tho...I do like the white P12 look but I really still love....

dslsynth

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2018, 03:22:23 PM »

"We're not in the habit of making rev 2 synths, so no, there will not be a P12 Rev 2."

Link?
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2018, 03:25:08 PM »

Link?

https://forum.sequential.com/index.php/topic,2459.0.html

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2018, 03:26:53 PM »
I do hope we will see a bit of variety visually from Sequential tho...I do like the white P12 look but I really still love....

I love the Poly Evolver Keyboard just the way it is.  It's the most gorgeous synthesizer I've ever seen.

I agree - the Prophet VS is increasingly a synthesizer of interest.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 03:36:56 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2018, 03:39:40 PM »
Pardon me, but I just love this picture - a nest of Evolvers.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 03:48:37 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

Sleep of Reason

« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2018, 04:33:55 PM »
It does feel like the right time for the resurgence of vector synthesis... Either way, I'm sure many will be glad to see the PA397 start to be phased out.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2018, 07:29:27 PM »
One thing that's additionally unique about the Limited Edition White: it's a chance to get a Prophet 12 with the new "Sequential" logo on it.

« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2018, 09:45:08 PM »
Electronics have advanced so much since the P-12 was released.  I'm sure its replacement will be a big improvement on an already great synth.
Jim Thorburn .  Toys-  Dave Smith: Prophet 5, Rev 4; Prophet 08; Pro 2; Prophet 12 module; EastWest Orchestral soft synths; Yamaha S-90; Yamaha Montage 8, Yamaha DX-7; KARP Odyssey; Ensoniq ESQ-1.  All run through a Cubase DAW with a Tascam DM-24 board.

Mr Kay

• The Disease
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2018, 12:15:56 AM »
Sad to read this new, but it was predicable since Chris was hitting the limits of the hardware while adding the linear FM, so no possibilities to add exciting new features able to re-boost the sales...

Anyway I'll preciously keep my own P'12 I called "Modulator"  ;D

« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2018, 12:29:55 AM »
After playing the Pro 2 quite a bit this week and comparing it with the P12 (and P6 and OB-6) I’d love to see a kind of poly version of the Pro 2 with all its awesomeness (those filters sound gorgeous) along with the P12’s bi-timbrality and the FX of the VCO synths.

Whatever the folks at Sequential are cooking up, I’m sure it’ll be astounding.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 12:31:45 AM by Quatschmacher »

« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2018, 12:39:04 AM »
Isnt the p12 already kind of a version of the pro 2? (I own both btw), they are different in that the p2 interacts more with other gear with its two midi outs and the cv connectivity. Also the sequencer and filters ++ but other than that, they are fairly similar.

Id like to see something with more than bi-timbrallty. I feel that more layers = exponentially more complexity

« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2018, 02:38:40 AM »
Isnt the p12 already kind of a version of the pro 2? (I own both btw), they are different in that the p2 interacts more with other gear with its two midi outs and the cv connectivity. Also the sequencer and filters ++ but other than that, they are fairly similar.

Id like to see something with more than bi-timbrallty. I feel that more layers = exponentially more complexity

In a way I guess it is, though no reason that it can’t be improved upon.  I much preferred the sound of the Pro 2 though. I’m actually after a poly and was looking at the P12 but much preferred the filters of the Pro 2 so would love those on a P12 successor. Also I much preferred the keybed on the P6/OB-6/Rev2 to that of the P12.

« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2018, 03:34:53 AM »
What a loss. I only have one keyboard (my P12) and I was saving up for another P12 so I could gig without risking it and losing my 250 quadraphonic voices. Still, at 61 I probably shouldn't be lugging my gear around and the added effort of moving 4 PA speakers by myself I could do without.
 It is a shame that we won't be going out to acoustically exciting places any more - ancient churches, castles and swimming pools, but at least I won't have to worry about damaging such an expensive bit of kit. I am glad that Dave is developing new machines, it's just a shame I never got to fund a backup for mine.

« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2018, 06:24:01 AM »
I love the Poly Evolver Keyboard just the way it is.  It's the most gorgeous synthesizer I've ever seen.
It does have a Polysix/OB-8 vibe to it.

That being said, the biggest thing holding me back from purchasing a Poly Evolver is a) just one won't have enough voices for me, and b) the price on the used market for even the rack is pretty high. I'd happily pay more for a new synth with a similar architecture and VS capabilities.
Prophet 12, Modal 002, MFB Dominion 1, Behringer DeepMind 12D, Korg Polysix & EX-8000, Roland JX-8P, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K3m and now an OB-6!

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2018, 08:05:55 AM »
It does have a Polysix/OB-8 vibe to it.

That being said, the biggest thing holding me back from purchasing a Poly Evolver is a) just one won't have enough voices for me, and b) the price on the used market for even the rack is pretty high. I'd happily pay more for a new synth with a similar architecture and VS capabilities.

Yes, indeed; those are the undeniable disadvantages of a Poly Evolver Keyboard.  An eight-voice Evolver configuration will cost you about five thousand dollars these days, and by modern standards, that's unacceptable.  But from the perspective of one who's past all that, the PEK is a irreplaceable synthesizer and - in all its biting, hissing, aliasing hybrid glory - just brimming with personality.  And that's coming from a guy with very conservative traditional musical taste.   

An Evolver is not for the person who wants a standard work horse/work station type synthesizer, or a modern technological achievement with endless features.  And it can't substitute for a Prophet 12, nor vise versa.  An Evolver is for the person who wants an Evolver.  It's a musical world unto itself.  Pardon what sounds like hyperbole, but to me, the PEK is up there with the Minimoog Model D.  And look at all the shortcomings of a Minimoog!  Nevertheless, each instrument is a classic. 

I have no doubt that one day the Poly Evolver Keyboard will be a most coveted instrument.  Despite all the usual arguments against it, the PEK is an instrument Sequential should revisit.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 09:07:49 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

LoboLives

« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2018, 08:12:18 AM »
Perhaps it’s time we start writing in that “The Next New DSI Instrument” thread and start bouncing around some ideas.

« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2018, 10:04:07 AM »
A bit sad about this one, hopefully they have something similar coming up.

Still for me my favourite DSI synth. Hopefully they will replace it with something fully digital.