No Resonance on High Pass Filter?

jmnes

No Resonance on High Pass Filter?
« on: October 30, 2018, 04:07:36 PM »
I use the high pass filter a lot, but rarely use any resonance.

I was playing with the resonance today and couldn’t really find any point where it was audible. I know it’s only 12dB/oct so the resonance is more subtle, but I couldn’t hear anything at any cut off frequency.

I was attempting to do the trick where you add bass by putting the high pass at the first harmonic, boost it and track the keyboard.

Do other people have any audible effect from it? I watched the Marc Doty videos on the P6 filter and he doesn’t ever really sweep the high pass resonance. It seems extremely subtle in his video as well, but then he explicitly mentions the bass boost trick.

I’m using the newest Beta OS 1.5.9.

Re: No Resonance on High Pass Filter?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 04:32:38 PM »
Just like the low-pass filter, the high-pass filter is resonant, but you can't drive it into self-oscillation like the low-pass filter.

jmnes

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 06:09:54 PM »
Just like the low-pass filter, the high-pass filter is resonant, but you can't drive it into self-oscillation like the low-pass filter.

I watched the output on a spectrum analyzer while moving the resonance and there is some visible resonance happening, it is just significantly subtler than I was expecting.  It is just barely audible unless put it in the most extremely positions.

The other two synths I have with a resonant high pass filter have a much more audible effect.

Nothing wrong with that, I don't really use the resonance very much with the filter anyway. 

It just doesn't seem very capable of creating the bass boost trick. Not really something I need, was just trying to expand my understanding.

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2018, 07:31:23 AM »
It just doesn't seem very capable of creating the bass boost trick. Not really something I need, was just trying to expand my understanding.

YMMV but I used that trick on a track where I felt like I couldn’t get enough bass from the Prophet, and when it came time to mix, I had to turn down the bass in the EQ because it was too much. :)