Voice question (Rev2 8)

maxter

Re: Voice question (Rev2 8)
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2018, 10:52:48 AM »
That's an interesting thought... My experience is that 80's/early 90's synthesizers often have this issue, probably because of the processors not being "up to speed", so not being able to handle all the information quickly enough, and thereby lag, freezing and stuff. In the mid- late- 90's computer processing really accelerated a lot, so synths from that time could probably take more advantage of midi's capabilities with less problems. But it does seem strange that newer synths from today would again suffer from similar problems related to midi information. I haven't got a clue as to how and why, but I'm curious, if anyone has an answer I'd be all ears.

I find it equally strange that one of the "pioneers of midi"'s company is having so many midi-related issues on their synths. And also that midi isn't implemented to a fuller extent, as seemed to have been the "vision" from "back then". Midi opened so many doors, and was apparently designed with what the future could/would bring in mind, which is/was really amazing! Take the OB Matrix-1000: THEN, a preset synth, as there were not many midi editors around... But with full midi implementation, which means that: NOW, you can control every parameter (making it equal to a Matrix-6) with an iPad for instance... Now, it seems as though that kind of "ahead" way of thinking of midi has changed...

Yesterday midi was "the future", today midi is "the past", in a sense, even though it is still FAR from reaching it's full potential. What gives? Why do some developers deem midi "not that important" anymore? -This is how it seems to me, at least, but I may have got the wrong impression...?
The Way the Truth and the Life

maxter

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2018, 11:06:24 AM »
I just realized that this issue goes for PC's as well... I often have problems with midi on new computers, I couldn't even update my Rev2 with my main computer so I had to use an old computer for that. I don't know if it's the computers or the OS's that are to blame, on older computers I rarely ever had a problem with midi using Win XP, but as new computers are not backwards-compatible with XP and other old OS's, we're left with little choice. Win 7 was the absolute worst for midi tasks, but the newer ones aren't great either.
The Way the Truth and the Life

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2018, 04:49:50 AM »
I too have experienced various midi problems with the rev2 and Logic x on my macbook pro. Every new project or arrangement i open i get no sound from the rev2 and have to turn it off and back on before it works. I connect via usb and have the latest official OS on my rev2.
Another recurring problem is when i change sounds/banks on the rev2 it sends a midi program change to logic and one of my soft synth settings load. It's quite annoying. I have tried turning midi program to off in the rev2 globals and it still happens.