Rev2 vs Prophet X bass response

Rev2 vs Prophet X bass response
« on: October 23, 2018, 07:27:57 PM »
I'm hoping the new SSM filter in the X has a more present low end than the Curtis filter.  I have a Rev2 that I'm considering upgrading to a PX instead.

For those of you who have both to compare side by side (and hopefully with a sub in the room): 

On an init patch on each synth, how much stronger is the low end on the X?  I'd like to play left hand octaves, power chords, and low midrange chords, and hoping that that sweet SSM stays juicy and beefy as you sweep the cutoff. 

My worry is that on the one video that I got to glimpse a filter sweep on the PX, the volume of the sound just cut out rather soon before the filter was closed all the way.

Another way to ask this:

On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being Curtis and 10 being the Moog ladder, where does the PX filter rate as far as low end (polyphonic) presence?  Thanks.
Moog One <> Prophet Rev2 16V <>  Andromeda <> Kronos 61 <> Nord Stage 2 HA76 <> Integra 7 <> Minilogue XD module <> Blofeld desktop <> Behringer Model D <> Minitaur <> Slim Phatty <> Matrix 1000 <> Micron <> Privia PX-5S <>  MODX7 <> TG77 <> ASM Hydrasynth <> Perform VE <> FCB1010

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
Re: Rev2 vs Prophet X bass response
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 07:13:02 AM »
Not that I can answer your question, but it make me think a bit because would one really want as present a filter as the Moog Ladder filter in a polyphonic synth, if you can choose only one analog filter?

Personally I'm not so sure I'd want the MOOG filter sound in a poly because when the low end is so present as it is with the Ladder filter, not taking much volume out when the filter close would quickly make the low-end muddy when several voices are going at the same time especially in the lower frequency spectrum.

Thus I would not want a ladder filter on the X either, since this is a polysynth... also it's mostly meant to filter samples.

I'd say that the ladder sound (in my opinion) lend itself best to monophonic basses and lead sounds, and I'd rather go for one of MOOGs monophonic synths for that when it comes to the ladder filter.

I also heard Amos talk about why they put in a State Variable Filter in the MOOG ONE, which was exactly because the ladder filter has too much presence... in the ONE we have the luxury of two analog filters to take care of both, which is cool, but if it boil down to having only one, I'd certainly hope that the X does NOT have that same presence unless there are some other means to ease out on the low-end somehow...

In fact I often have problems with the REV2 bank I'm doing right now in the low end, where some sounds simply get way too loud and boomy in the low end .. .I'd actually have liked to have an analog hipass filter in the REV2 as well to remedy this problem from time to time... it's a nightmare with huge pads and atmospheric sounds in some cases, especially the more open the filter is.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 07:19:33 AM by Razmo »
If you need me, follow the shadows...

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2018, 12:05:50 PM »

Hi,

here is some init patch filtered.

https://soundcloud.com/martin2-2/prophet-x-init-patch-filter

Hope this helps,

Martin3

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2018, 07:28:31 PM »
Thanks for that audio clip, it really helps get a sense of how the filter works.  I give it a 5 on my own Curtis to Moog scale.

It sounds like a nice filter, although it's not really bottom heavy, more neutral sounding.  That's probably an important characteristic when using filters on samples in order not to color them too much.  The Alesis Fusion filter in its rompler engine was very neutral also.

Regarding using a Moog filter for polyphonic purposes, I think it's great.  Recall that as you raise the resonance on the ladder filter, the bass end drops out.  So you can dial in that balance between low and high however you like between the filter envelope amount, cutoff, and resonance amount.

Moog One <> Prophet Rev2 16V <>  Andromeda <> Kronos 61 <> Nord Stage 2 HA76 <> Integra 7 <> Minilogue XD module <> Blofeld desktop <> Behringer Model D <> Minitaur <> Slim Phatty <> Matrix 1000 <> Micron <> Privia PX-5S <>  MODX7 <> TG77 <> ASM Hydrasynth <> Perform VE <> FCB1010