mp3

Prophet XL?
« on: October 18, 2018, 10:26:42 AM »
Details please???

mp3

Re: Prophet XL?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2018, 11:28:48 AM »
So far there's this in the SOS Prophet X review:

So... Assuming the feature set is identical between the two models (and that's an assumption of course), the last remaining detail would be the keybed. I've got a few days left to return my PX, so I'll be awaiting word on that.

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2018, 12:00:55 PM »
I like the idea of a 76 key PX but I plan to stick with my 61 key model. For me, 61 keys is more portable. Plus, I maybe interested in the Moog One+ …

LoboLives

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2018, 12:52:25 PM »
I hope this isn't the "new" synth rumored to be released. I think we should wait until the USER sampling and new sound packs for the PX are implemented before we start worrying about more keys.

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 12:58:48 PM »
I hope this isn't the "new" synth rumored to be released. I think we should wait until the USER sampling and new sound packs for the PX are implemented before we start worrying about more keys.

At least it looks like the features will be in both, I could care less about the keyed myself but if an improved version came out six months later without any path for early adopters I may have lost my mind in anger. In the end DSI always seems to do the right thing though.

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2018, 01:05:25 PM »
Knob and button layout look the same too. That is a good omen for these, hopefully, having feature parity outside of the keybed.

mp3

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2018, 01:17:13 PM »
Well I'm personally disappointed by the TP/9S in my PX, so I'm anxious to see what keybed they chose. If its a good one, I'm trading up immediately...

cbmd

• Sequential
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2018, 01:21:46 PM »

WE have already implemented USER sampling and ADD on pack addition functionality in an internally released OS version.  We are now awaiting finalization of the USER SAMPLE MAPPING/EDITOR application to be complete, though we already have BETA versions of the software which are currently working.  8DIO plans to release the ADD on packs in the very near future.

Also worth noting that the only individual concerned with adding more keys is in charge of industrial/hardware design and does not work on the software for our instruments.
Product Designer
Sequential | Oberheim

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2018, 01:33:45 PM »

WE have already implemented USER sampling and ADD on pack addition functionality in an internally released OS version.  We are now awaiting finalization of the USER SAMPLE MAPPING/EDITOR application to be complete, though we already have BETA versions of the software which are currently working.  8DIO plans to release the ADD on packs in the very near future.

Also worth noting that the only individual concerned with adding more keys is in charge of industrial/hardware design and does not work on the software for our instruments.

Very excited for the improvements CBMD. Now that Sound on Sound has spoiled the punchline can you talk about the new features in the firmware outside of 32 voice? If not, can you at least confirm that there will be feature parity between the two versions (original X and XL) outside of hardware differences in keybed and number of keys? If not, what else will be different and is there an option for users to upgrade their original X for feature parity outside of hardware differences of keybed and number of keys. Thanks in advance for any insight you can share.

Mark

mp3

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2018, 01:37:05 PM »

Can you tell us what keybed is used in the PXL? edit: or can you tell us anything at all about that keybed? I feel like I'm the only one interested in it  :-\
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 01:43:49 PM by mp3 »

dslsynth

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2018, 01:40:48 PM »
I like the idea of supporting digital voices by using two hardware voices.

Question: will the digital oscillators be available in this mode?

Question: will this mode be selectable per layer?

Question: how will mono mode work?
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

cbmd

• Sequential
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2018, 01:43:10 PM »
The key bed is a Fatar TP8/Piano action + aftertouch.
Product Designer
Sequential | Oberheim

cbmd

• Sequential
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2018, 01:43:54 PM »
All XL features will be available on standard PX units.
Product Designer
Sequential | Oberheim

mp3

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2018, 01:44:40 PM »
The key bed is a Fatar TP8/Piano action + aftertouch.

For the win!!!

Thanks my friend!

cbmd

• Sequential
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2018, 01:45:09 PM »
In 32 voice mode, you can use 1 instrument and 1 oscillator per layer.  It is not selectable per layer.  32 voice mode always runs the instruments/oscillators in mono.
Product Designer
Sequential | Oberheim

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2018, 01:50:40 PM »
All XL features will be available on standard PX units.

Thank you CMBD, you made my day  :D

Tell the crew and Dave thanks from all of us OG Prophet X users!

dslsynth

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2018, 01:52:49 PM »
In 32 voice mode, you can use 1 instrument and 1 oscillator per layer.  It is not selectable per layer.  32 voice mode always runs the instruments/oscillators in mono.

Thanks for the answer! Makes very much sense seen from a computer resource point of view. Hope its selectable per program as that will be more expressive and convenient than a global switch. In any case: nice development of the PX. Really like that its a standard update to existing PX owners. Hope people will love it!
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

Sleep of Reason

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2018, 01:53:47 PM »
Blimey, this couldn't have come at a worse time. I passed on the PX mainly due to the keys being TP/9S and not TP/8S. Just today my Sweetwater rep called to tell me the 88 key controller with Fatar TP/40 Wood (that I was on a waiting list for) shipped out to me. Oh well, I suppose the X/XL just wasn't meant for me... 

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2018, 01:59:06 PM »
Blimey, this couldn't have come at a worse time. I passed on the PX mainly due to the keys being TP/9S and not TP/8S. Just today my Sweetwater rep called to tell me the 88 key controller with Fatar TP/40 Wood (that I was on a waiting list for) shipped out to me. Oh well, I suppose the X/XL just wasn't meant for me...
That is the beauty of the 45 day return policy. I think this is for you as it dropped while you can still return this one  ;)

Sleep of Reason

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2018, 02:04:30 PM »
Due to the deal I got I had to pay for shipping, which wasn't cheap. Meaning I'll be losing out on shipping both ways. I'm far too frugal of a b**tard for that.