Help understanding the sequencer

S Y Z Y G Y X

• WWW.SYZYGYXMUSIC.COM
    • S Y Z Y G Y X
Help understanding the sequencer
« on: October 17, 2018, 02:24:05 PM »
So I dunno what’s going on, why I can’t for the life of me figure out how to program the sequencer on the Rev2.  What I’m trying to accomplish is a simple sequence of notes.  Something that is super simple to do on my Subsequent 37.  Really I need a video showing how this sequencer works, how to program notes.  I have searched everywhere online and there are no videos anywhere of any tutorials on the Rev2 sequencer.  Anybody able to help?  I’ve read over the manual time and time again I don’t know why this damn sequencer is so difficult for me to wrap my head around. 
SEQUENTIAL Pro 3, DSI Prophet 12, DSI Prophet Rev2-8, Moog Subsequent 37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Novation Bass Station 2, BOSS VE500, MOTU Micro Lite, AKAI APC240 MKII, SSL Fusion, UAD Apollo X6, MacBook Pro 2017, ADAM A7X Monitors, Logic X
www.syzygyxmusic.com
https://syzygy-x.bandcamp.com

Re: Help understanding the sequencer
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 03:30:00 PM »
The owner's manual contains a section dedicated to exactly this topic:

https://www.davesmithinstruments.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Prophet-Rev2-Users-Guide-1.0.pdf?x72411
SEQUENTIAL | OBERHEIM

S Y Z Y G Y X

• WWW.SYZYGYXMUSIC.COM
    • S Y Z Y G Y X
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 04:02:01 PM »
Robot Heart, thank you but I have the hard copy of the manual and as I said I have been reading both the polyphonic and gated sequencer sections over and over again, for some reason the sequencer is not doing what i want it to do. 

On my Subsequent 37, I simply switch the Sequencer to Rec, then I play each note on the keyboard, the sequencer automatically steps to the next note. 

SEQUENTIAL Pro 3, DSI Prophet 12, DSI Prophet Rev2-8, Moog Subsequent 37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Novation Bass Station 2, BOSS VE500, MOTU Micro Lite, AKAI APC240 MKII, SSL Fusion, UAD Apollo X6, MacBook Pro 2017, ADAM A7X Monitors, Logic X
www.syzygyxmusic.com

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 04:15:13 PM »
For the polyphonic sequencer, this is how the Rev2 operates as well, i.e. it automatically moves to the next step after you release a key, and it is used for note sequences. The exception being, if you are still holding a note and you press a new key then the new note gets added to the current step. Each step can hold up to 6 notes.

Think of the gated sequencer as parameter modulation/automation. A gated sequencer track can be assigned to any modulation destination, like filter cutoff for example, and the sequencer will open and close the filter according to the values programmed into each step. Use the Parameter knob to the right of the sequencer section to change the target step and the Value knob underneath to edit the current step's value. The gated sequencer can also be used to play notes if you assign the track destination to oscillator frequency.
SEQUENTIAL | OBERHEIM

S Y Z Y G Y X

• WWW.SYZYGYXMUSIC.COM
    • S Y Z Y G Y X
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2018, 05:22:12 PM »
Ok, yeah I believe this Rev2 has something wrong with it because the polyphonic sequencer is simple enough to understand reading in the manual, but when I press Type, Poly and then Record, nothing happens when I play any keys, the steps do not cycle, and then when I try to turn the program knob to change to another preset, I see the patch numbers change, but the name of the patch does not change. 

Is this normal behavior?!!

This synth is super stressing me out
www.syzygyxmusic.com

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2018, 05:50:13 PM »
Sounds like you have Local Control off, or you have a MIDI feedback loop. Try performing a Global Reset from the Global menu and unplugging MIDI DIN and USB, then recording your sequence again. If that doesn't work, please contact our dedicated support channel: support (at) sequential.com
SEQUENTIAL | OBERHEIM

S Y Z Y G Y X

• WWW.SYZYGYXMUSIC.COM
    • S Y Z Y G Y X
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2018, 06:55:02 PM »
I did in fact have local control set to off, i had some issues when I first got the Rev2 with stuck notes when I was running midi over usb so I had turned off local control hoping that would help.  So yes now the sequencer steps along when I play keys, but it’s still not doing what I was hoping it would do.  After I program in a sequence of notes the sequence only plays in one key and I have to push the play button.  I was hoping to be able to play any key on the keyboard and it would play the sequence in whatever key I play.  Does that make sense?  Just like on the Sub 37. 

The gated sequencer does this, but the gated sequencer does not let me play the notes on the keyboard, only by selecting notes with the value knob. 

www.syzygyxmusic.com

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2018, 02:27:37 AM »
The only way to make the root note change when playing a key, is to hold down a specific button while pressing a key... If i recall right it is the rest button you need to hold down... Others have complained about this way of doing it, but SCI never really did anything about it.

Also be prepared that recording a sequence into the polysequencer will only record it into the current layer you are editing meaning that a stacked program will have to have it's sequence copied via the misc menu to make it play properly. SCI have not done anything about that either.
If you need me, follow the shadows...

S Y Z Y G Y X

• WWW.SYZYGYXMUSIC.COM
    • S Y Z Y G Y X
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2018, 05:58:06 AM »
Ok cool Razmo thank you  :D. You certainly know your way around the Rev2, awesome sounds you’ve been making, I dig!!  Yes I wish the sequencer was more similar to the sub 37, really I just need to learn both sequencers.  If possible maybe someone here can do a little video tutorial on the gated and polyphonic sequencer as there are no tutorials online anywhere of the sequencers.  If anyone can do one I would greatly appreciate it, I know there must be others who would appreciate that as well.  Thanks again !
www.syzygyxmusic.com

S Y Z Y G Y X

• WWW.SYZYGYXMUSIC.COM
    • S Y Z Y G Y X
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2018, 02:40:30 PM »
Anyone down to do a lil’ video tutorial of working the Gated Sequencer since there are no videos on showing how it works out there? 

www.syzygyxmusic.com

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2018, 02:50:24 PM »
SEQUENTIAL

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2018, 05:40:00 AM »
The gated sequencer allows you to enter 'reset' values, so shorten the sequence. I've been trying to figure out how to do the same in poly mode, but have not been successful. Ideas?
For example if you are dialing through the presets, find a nice sound with a nice sequence, but you only want to use part of that sequence. How do I 'reset' after N steps? At the moment it seems like I need to go through and add 'rest' notes on each step of each layer of the sequence. Surely there has to be a better way?

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2019, 11:09:21 AM »
I have a question regarding the programming of the poly sequencer. Suppose I want to record a sequence of 16 steps and accidentally record a note on step 17 - is there a way to trim the recorded sequence after that or do I have to completely re-record the sequence? Thank you in advance.