George Duke synth lead sound design and Glide question!

George Duke synth lead sound design and Glide question!
« on: October 11, 2018, 06:42:35 AM »
Hello!

I've been learning some Great George Duke's song, and I have few questions.

I know that he used Arp synths, and minimoog most for his solo (also prophet 5 and oberheim I think but for soloing I'm hearing more arp and minimoog.)

here is the link where his solo start from the album(Follow the rainbow). How can I archive that his sounds?

It sounds like a guitar, and seems like sometime if he hits a note harder, it sounds more punchy.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3e_4QIH5baA?start=1753" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

please give me some ideas!

I've been noodling with pulse and sawtooth wave with pretty much pluck like low pass filter ADSR and amp ADSR settings but wasn't able to cope the sound.

oh, and I wanted to say thanks to DSI for their wonderful customer service.

my keyboard (few notes had a problem), and I had to buy it then the one came also had a similar problem, so I asked them to exchange and they sent new one right away all the way from US to South Korea. (as well as some screws)

I'm attaching few pics from few gigs that I've done with P12.

Re: George Duke synth lead sound design and Glide question!
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 06:57:27 AM »
This link worked better for me in the US:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e_4QIH5baA&start=1753

To me it sounds like maybe an FM patch? Though on the P12 I'd try one of the more bell-like waveforms first. If that doesn't work, I'd try setting up a couple of sine waves with FM, and experiment with the modulating oscillator's frequency until it sounds like that.

As to the "touch" part--I suspect that's just either random phasing or an effect of the pitch bend. In 1979 he's not likely to be using anything with a velocity-sensitive keyboard. Though he could have had something affected by the mod wheel.

Those are some great pictures!
Prophet 12, Modal 002, MFB Dominion 1, Behringer DeepMind 12D, Korg Polysix & EX-8000, Roland JX-8P, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K3m and now an OB-6!

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 02:58:44 PM »
OK, tried tonight on my P12, and I think the secret sauce is this:

Put both oscillator 1 and 2 on a sine wave with full output. Tune oscillator 1 to C5 and turn sync on. It beefed out a bit once I put the high pass resonance to 10 and set the Key Follow to around 60. I think there's some envelope stuff you might want to do to get the percussive effect, but I think that will work.
Prophet 12, Modal 002, MFB Dominion 1, Behringer DeepMind 12D, Korg Polysix & EX-8000, Roland JX-8P, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K3m and now an OB-6!

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 05:39:19 AM »
OK, tried tonight on my P12, and I think the secret sauce is this:

Put both oscillator 1 and 2 on a sine wave with full output. Tune oscillator 1 to C5 and turn sync on. It beefed out a bit once I put the high pass resonance to 10 and set the Key Follow to around 60. I think there's some envelope stuff you might want to do to get the percussive effect, but I think that will work.

Thanks, that was great. I was able to get closer sound than I was making before, but when I turn the sync on, I hear digital(?) noise whenever I hit high note(such as C5 and above. by turning off the sync, it's gone, have no idea why sync cause that kind of noise like sound. (Def it makes sound punchier to my ear but the noise is problem now.) I think without sync it sounds pretty good, so I guess I can live without sync for this patch but it bothers me.
anyway, Thank you so much for your effort and great advice! I didn't know where to start since that lead sounds like almost organ with percussion 3rd on, but same wave put 2 oct higher was the key I think!

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2018, 06:40:04 AM »
This is one of the times when a true analog instrument might be better. I'll have to try it on my Boog and see if I can recreate it with triangle waves.

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2018, 09:00:07 AM »
This is one of the times when a true analog instrument might be better. I'll have to try it on my Boog and see if I can recreate it with triangle waves.

I tried to recreate with little phatty (triangle waves). Still I could hear similar thing. Perhaps it needs to be cutting off low pass filter frequency.

I’m still trying to do imitate but getting closer:) later on i might upload the patch with some playing.. anyway thanks for your time and advices.

Ps. I’m going to ask same question to syntorial forum. I think that forum is great, Joe who made a syntorial seems really knows his thang!