Future of X

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
Re: Future of X
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2018, 02:50:50 AM »
people keep talking about having mixed analog and digital oscillators, but why not try to create a hybrid oscillator instead that will allow any of them to be switched between analog and digital?

There are definitely an interesting design space of hybrid oscillators. If you ask me I would say that that is the future of analog synthesis. Moog One heads a bit in that direction too though with different and simpler waveforms. But as simple as the idea sounds its likely to take a lot of time and experimentation to get it to sound great.

It certainly needs experimentation, and probably a very precise calibration of the ramp waveform so that it always goes from zero to maximum in any case when it has been converted to digital, otherwise the lookup of the digital waveform will be distorted (or rather waveshaped)... but if that can be done, the rest is actually rather simple to implement as soon as it has been converted into digital ... then the converted value is simply an index used to lookup the desired waveform in a stored digtal waveform, and you would not even need complex digital DSP doing any oscillator accumulation or anything... the pitch will always follow the analog ramp waveform, and thus I THINK that it will also inherit the analog waveforms nonexisting aliasing since there is no rounding errors and the like, like there are in a digitally created oscillator... if it's more complicated than i think i cannot say... but I sure as heck would love to try this out :) ... it is basically just simple waveshaping, but I do not recall having seen any company try this sort of oscillator approach, unless I'm unaware of it.
If you need me, follow the shadows...

« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2018, 02:02:07 PM »
Moderator edit: please stay on topic.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 04:18:57 PM by Robot Heart »

LoboLives

« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2018, 03:12:37 PM »
I think a lot of this is getting off topic which is what the future of the Prophet-X holds on what features we would like to see.

« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2018, 04:31:48 PM »
Personally?  I'd like to see a few things:

Properly Crossfading Modulated Loops so I can sweep the loop location with continuous input without the current horrific habit of bypassing the crossfade and producing a rather non-musical series of loud clicks.  The problem is much more noticeable when moving the loop toward the start of the sample (opposite the direction of playback), and it makes one of the more intriguing features of the Prophet X completely useless IMHO.  Most of the solutions I can imagine for this would result in briefly delaying the change in loop position and I'd be thrilled to make that tradeoff.

Dynamic Voice Allocation between layers.  Instead of having a fixed 4/4 or 8/8 voice allocation between layers, let me use a single voice for a lead or bass part, while using all of the remaining voices for chords.  If true dynamic allocation isn't realistic, consider noticing when a layer is in mono mode and automatically balance the voice count as appropriate.  True dynamic allocation would have more benefits still, as in stacked situations where one of the two layers is a short percussive attack.

A One-Time Random Mod Source each time a voice is triggered, a unique random value that can be used to ensure that multiple voices aren't identically configured (eg: to allow LFO speeds to vary from voice to voice.)  Unlike Noise or Slop, this value would stay the same for the duration of the voice.

MPE Support would be great to see in just about any new synth.  Hopefully it becomes standard on future Sequential offerings, and it would be nice to see it make an appearance in the Prophet X as well.

drxcm

« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2018, 09:40:14 PM »
Personally?  I'd like to see a few things:

Properly Crossfading Modulated Loops so I can sweep the loop location with continuous input without the current horrific habit of bypassing the crossfade and producing a rather non-musical series of loud clicks.  The problem is much more noticeable when moving the loop toward the start of the sample (opposite the direction of playback), and it makes one of the more intriguing features of the Prophet X completely useless IMHO.  Most of the solutions I can imagine for this would result in briefly delaying the change in loop position and I'd be thrilled to make that tradeoff.

Dynamic Voice Allocation between layers.  Instead of having a fixed 4/4 or 8/8 voice allocation between layers, let me use a single voice for a lead or bass part, while using all of the remaining voices for chords.  If true dynamic allocation isn't realistic, consider noticing when a layer is in mono mode and automatically balance the voice count as appropriate.  True dynamic allocation would have more benefits still, as in stacked situations where one of the two layers is a short percussive attack.

A One-Time Random Mod Source each time a voice is triggered, a unique random value that can be used to ensure that multiple voices aren't identically configured (eg: to allow LFO speeds to vary from voice to voice.)  Unlike Noise or Slop, this value would stay the same for the duration of the voice.

MPE Support would be great to see in just about any new synth.  Hopefully it becomes standard on future Sequential offerings, and it would be nice to see it make an appearance in the Prophet X as well.

All great suggestions.

The first one I've reported to Sequential, and the response was that this has been noted.  A suggestion they had might be to add a mode to switch the playback direction to follow the direction of the centerpoint modulation.  Not necessarily going to be possible or implemented though.

It does frustrate me a lot, and as you say, it negates the usefulness of centrepoint modulation, which was one of the key features that attracted me to the PX.

The last one could be achieved (I think) with a very slow random LFO with keytrig switched on (and perhaps a very high slew rate so if it does cycle during the note on it drifts slowly?)

« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2018, 01:44:27 PM »
Moderator edit: Stop spamming this topic.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 04:19:27 PM by Robot Heart »

drxcm

« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2018, 06:09:58 PM »
Does anyone know how to load the new alternate tunings in?  What is the procedure?  I have the .syx file, can I do it with a USB drive?

cbmd

• Sequential
« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2018, 06:28:03 PM »
Can't load the tunings via the thumb drive. They can be loaded via the USB or MIDI port in the same manner as factory sound bank files.  Instructions for doing so can be found here:

https://www.sequential.com/prophet-x-factory-sounds/

Hope this helps!
Product Designer
Sequential | Oberheim

« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2018, 05:44:12 AM »
C6 and a USB cable - worked perfectly

thank you so much for all the scales. -TERRY RILEY !! YEAH !! 

fantastic ***

« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2018, 02:22:17 AM »

laurentluigi

« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2018, 04:19:23 AM »
Not yet in France !!!!!!!!!

« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2018, 08:03:53 AM »
Not yet anywhere.  The latest date I've been given is "late October or early November."  Of course that follows a long series of prior dates: May 2018, at Prophet X launch, June 2018, August 2018, and currently on their site as Late 2018.  Their Facebook page announced Oct 18th, and the video mentioned Oct 25th.

So it's anyone's guess, but to me it's looking likely to happen around the same time the Prophet XL starts shipping and the current beta firmware is finalized.

« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2018, 12:01:49 PM »
Not yet anywhere.  The latest date I've been given is "late October or early November."  Of course that follows a long series of prior dates: May 2018, at Prophet X launch, June 2018, August 2018, and currently on their site as Late 2018.  Their Facebook page announced Oct 18th, and the video mentioned Oct 25th.

So it's anyone's guess, but to me it's looking likely to happen around the same time the Prophet XL starts shipping and the current beta firmware is finalized.

Just been on a chat session with them, supposed to be released today, believe it when I see it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=8&v=cqVngb6IWnY

« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2018, 12:26:22 PM »

Just been on a chat session with them, supposed to be released today, believe it when I see it:

I did a chat too and they just said not yet and coming soon. Maybe they like you better :-)

« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2018, 03:03:13 PM »

I did a chat too and they just said not yet and coming soon. Maybe they like you better :-)

Just make them an offer they can't refuse....

laurentluigi

« Reply #55 on: November 10, 2018, 07:12:48 AM »
Done!!!!!
Fantastic!!!!!!
It Sounds Mamma miaaaa!!!!

« Reply #56 on: November 30, 2018, 08:49:37 AM »
Samples are best edited on your computer, then transfer to the X when that feature becomes available. I would much rather do it that way.

« Reply #57 on: December 19, 2018, 10:50:42 AM »

« Reply #58 on: November 28, 2019, 11:44:45 AM »