The biggest bottleneck

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
Re: The biggest bottleneck
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2018, 07:38:39 PM »
people just have to realise that if they do use these new NRPNs, that when the tweaks are stored into memory, it will be truncated to the 8bit versions.... that means that if a program is edited when in this special mode, then parameters that is very sensitive to miniscule adjustment will probably not sound exactly the same when recalled from memory again since they were truncated to 8bit when stored.

Totally fine! It's the hands-on use of the synth that is the matter here, not the exact state of a saved patch.

I think this feature would be more one of the more marketable ones. More than most of the minor feature requests. Perhaps the smartest move would be MPE support. I'm fairly certain that at some point this is coming (at least to new DSI instruments). LinnStrument plus MPE Sequential/DSI gear makes so much sense. But I think if the move is towards playability and performance, then getting rid of this unfortunate bottle neck would also make a lot of sense. Showing off a "high resolution control mode" in a YouTube video would impress a lot of people who'd never through about that before, and would evolve the instrument to the next level.

With new instruments, yes... I could see that... because the problem is that if you want a 14bit structure, you really should have both the internal memory structure AND the control part to support it... it's easy for the MOOG synths because their SysEx structure is actually stored as 14bit values... not 8bits... but changing such a structure after a device has been released with an OS having an 8bit structuring of memory will certainly require a lot to be changed, and bakward compatibility would be compromised unless a lot of background conversion is taking place behind the scenes when it recieve old dumps with the 8bit structure.

We an just hope that SCI will start creating 16bit wide memory structures in the future... we'll see :)
If you need me, follow the shadows...

maxter

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2018, 11:12:32 AM »
It's funny, even my old M Audio Venom has 14-bit midi cc-control of some parameters, take a wild guess which... Of course the pitch bend is 14-bit, but then also filter cutoff, voice detune and osc 1 2 & 3 detune. Mostly tuning parameters basically (filter arguably, but even more important anyway because of potential stepping, imo). Makes sense. The rest (afaik) are 7- or 8-bit. I'm still quite surprised SCI hasn't implemented this in their more modern synths (yet). Though I have a Rev2, I really wouldn't have got it if pitch bend was limited to 8-bit, and I was kind of on the fence on it because of filter cutoff being limited to 8.

I would think there are others like me, some perhaps still on the other side of the fence because of said issues. Having such a great filter BUT with such limited midi control over it, in 2018, blows my mind. In reasoning terms at least, I just can't understand WHY NOT?!
The Way the Truth and the Life

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2018, 11:43:40 AM »
It's funny, even my old M Audio Venom has 14-bit midi cc-control of some parameters, take a wild guess which... Of course the pitch bend is 14-bit, but then also filter cutoff, voice detune and osc 1 2 & 3 detune. Mostly tuning parameters basically (filter arguably, but even more important anyway because of potential stepping, imo). Makes sense. The rest (afaik) are 7- or 8-bit. I'm still quite surprised SCI hasn't implemented this in their more modern synths (yet). Though I have a Rev2, I really wouldn't have got it if pitch bend was limited to 8-bit, and I was kind of on the fence on it because of filter cutoff being limited to 8.

I would think there are others like me, some perhaps still on the other side of the fence because of said issues. Having such a great filter BUT with such limited midi control over it, in 2018, blows my mind. In reasoning terms at least, I just can't understand WHY NOT?!

The point is, that the filter is NOT 8 bit in REV2... neither is the modwheel or any of the controls... if you route the MODWHEEL to CUTOFF, and use it with LOCAL ON (no MIDI involved), then you will have more than 8bit control... the bottleneck is the way the MIDI is being handled... it's because SCI is not utilizing more than the standard controller #01 for sending and receiving the modwheel data... and that is simply for compatibility reasons i guess.

You could make a switch that change this globally... but for some reason, they still have not done that.
If you need me, follow the shadows...