I hate the internet
« on: October 07, 2018, 02:48:40 AM »
But I love my synthesizers.

Good bye, evil internet.
Hello, life.

Sacred Synthesis

Re: I hate the internet
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2018, 09:02:40 AM »
That's an intriguing start, but what exactly do you mean?

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2018, 10:03:53 AM »
Well, without a clue quite what cbx means, I can tell yer that Sunday is my day of semi-Internet rest. I don't go on FB/Twitter/Instagram and I avoid reading the news on any of the too-many sites I spend pointless hours on. The Sequential forum here is thus first port of call for my Internet-addicted brain! The daily pull of the Opinion Screen is strong, but come Sunday, it's toast and tea and rough mixes and frisbee for me. Not as dramatic as a sudden total withdraw, but it's been good for my soft head, I can tell you.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2018, 11:42:04 AM »
I stay off the Internet on Fridays.  It's to break the obsession and get away from the world.  It always feels fabulous to disconnect and give more time to my wife, the outdoors, and general activity. 

jg666

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2018, 01:49:59 PM »
I sometimes wonder if I’m the only person in the World who doesn’t have a facebook account and has never indulged in twitter either :)
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2018, 03:16:16 PM »
Certainly not.  I don't do any of the social media either, and I know lots of people who likewise choose to avoid it all.

jg666

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2018, 11:38:10 PM »
That's good to know that I'm not the only one :)
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2018, 01:36:28 AM »

Mate, sometimes I don't think cbx knows what he means, heheh.  Only joking, but cbx, you do tend to make some cryptic posts at times.

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2018, 02:54:22 AM »
I call it a Digital Sabbath - A day of rest from Internet based Information Overload.

Its a great idea, but not always easy to achieve.

Suzanne.

Gomjab

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2018, 04:57:19 AM »

Mate, sometimes I don't think cbx knows what he means, heheh.  Only joking, but cbx, you do tend to make some cryptic posts at times.

If he was serious  he is not going to hear your questions or comments!   ;)

I gave up Facebook many years ago and have had zero regrets!  Many things posted online can make me relate to cbx’s post.   :(

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2018, 10:26:21 AM »
I call it a Digital Sabbath - A day of rest from Internet based Information Overload.

I like that expression.  And you're right, it's not easy to stick to our intention.  That shows we have something like an addiction that needs to be broken.  It's one reason I stay off the Internet weekly - to regularly cut off the supply of digital booze.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 10:29:46 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

dsetto

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2018, 09:31:09 AM »
I'm gonna give it a go. I'll check back in.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2018, 10:11:30 AM »
Try it once a week for a full twenty-four hours.  Try it with your cell phone.  And meanwhile, observe yourself and note the many other important things you suddenly have time for.  This dependence is not pretty.

I am so looking forward to tomorrow!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 10:14:11 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2018, 06:14:50 AM »
I passionately and desperately HATE Facebook and would love to leave the sick mess alone, but I think you cannot log into Instagram without a facebook account, is that right?

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2018, 02:25:32 PM »
There are countless things you can't do on the Internet without having one of the social media accounts. - such as leaving comments under all sorts of articles and news reports.  That's the price you must pay to get a hold on the fixation, and I'm more than willing to pay it. 

No pain, no gain.  The sports maxim is applicable to all areas of life.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 02:27:23 PM by Sacred Synthesis »