How to clock an external sequencer with the Pro 2

How to clock an external sequencer with the Pro 2
« on: February 08, 2016, 03:19:37 AM »
Just wondering how I can drive a modular step sequencer with the Pro2 CV outs. Its a standard 16 step style thing, requiring a 16th trigger pulse. I couldn't work out how to drive them from a sequencer track as the CV outs just send constant voltages. I suppose you could send one step full 127 and the next off, but that would mean the clock is at half speed (and I'm not even sure if this would work). I want to use Note sequencer to sequence the Pro 2's VCA so that rules out the gate out.

Thanks

chysn

Re: How to clock an external sequencer with the Pro 2
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 04:40:04 AM »
I don't have a Pro 2 (yet), but have you tried a square LFO routed to a CV out, and setting the LFO's Sync setting to 32nd?
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 01:20:43 PM »
Yes, I tried the square LFO - it works to drive a sequencer but the LFO is difficult to sync with the sequencer as it runs "freely" as standard. You can make it trigger 'in phase' when you press a key (and trigger the sequencer' but I have to explore further as to whether this will hold up once you start changing notes on the sequencer. It seems like a very unstable way to be clocking a modular setup.

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 08:58:55 AM »
Why wouldn't you just use the gate out?

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 05:28:04 PM »
As I understand it, the gate out is a gate generated by the internal note track - so if you have a sequence running on the pro2, your external gate out 'clock' will only trigger on the steps you have 'on'. This means you're not really sending a clock, but a series of gates - So your external sequencer will be either identical in rhythm to your internal sequence or completely out (unless you work out the timing). Basically, two parallel, in sync, sequences will be a very hard thing to do.

If DSI can make the CV outs fire triggers or vary the pulse wish of the CV outs (seems theoretically possible to me as they can produce 0-10 Volts) then you could have a clock generated from one of the internal sequencers routed to a CV out.

Currently, you can make a makeshift clock using CV steps alternating with high & low voltage, but this only clocks at half speed of the internal sequencer. Again, if DSI could incorporate  different divisions of the internal clock speed into the Pro-2, this problem could be gotten around easily. Unfortunately, none of these options are available yet.

ARNK

• Audio wishes from planet Mars / MEME DespiZer
    • Returning to Zero
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 09:30:17 PM »
Just wondering how I can drive a modular step sequencer

Did you ever get this sorted? Just curious as to which "modular step sequencer" you were referring to.
The greater the humiliation, the greater the rate of evaporation of that feeling and all subsequent dispositions. Make a comfortable world not a hot one.

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2017, 06:54:45 AM »
I utilize one of the Midi outs and Intellijel uMidi for this. Not exactly what you’re looking for, but a easy and flexible way to to integrate the Pro2 clock and keys into modular. Also leaves the 4 outs free for other duties.