How to reduce LFO amount?

How to reduce LFO amount?
« on: September 30, 2018, 03:25:48 PM »
I'm having trouble figuring out how to decrease the amount of LFO affecting pitch. 

I want a subtle vibrato present, but even at the minimum of 1 the strength of the vibrato is too strong.  I tried using a negative DC source to decrease the destination of LFO1amt, but it seems to do nothing.

Any suggestions?

Moog One <> Prophet Rev2 16V <>  Andromeda <> Kronos 61 <> Nord Stage 2 HA76 <> Integra 7 <> Minilogue XD module <> Blofeld desktop <> Behringer Model D <> Minitaur <> Slim Phatty <> Matrix 1000 <> Micron <> Privia PX-5S <>  MODX7 <> TG77 <> ASM Hydrasynth <> Perform VE <> FCB1010

Re: How to reduce LFO amount?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 05:58:17 PM »
I've recalled the basic patch, assigned LFO1 with triangle wave shape to OscAllFreq and set Amount to 1 in the LFO section, and can barely hear the pitch modulation...

EDIT: I've just noticed that doing the same LFO1 routing to pitch in the Mod Matrix section with a value of 1 as modulation amount results in a much more evident pitch modulation.

So, perhaps using the LFO section modulation instead of the Mod Matrix would achieve what you're looking for... Try it out.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 06:04:45 PM by AlainHubert »
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 07:32:30 PM »
Excellent, I'm getting better results by using the LFO modulation section!  Thanks
Moog One <> Prophet Rev2 16V <>  Andromeda <> Kronos 61 <> Nord Stage 2 HA76 <> Integra 7 <> Minilogue XD module <> Blofeld desktop <> Behringer Model D <> Minitaur <> Slim Phatty <> Matrix 1000 <> Micron <> Privia PX-5S <>  MODX7 <> TG77 <> ASM Hydrasynth <> Perform VE <> FCB1010

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2018, 05:33:52 AM »
Is there a logic why the LFO modulation assigned in the designated LFO section behaves differently from LFO assignments made in modulation matrix? In fact, for me, it is completely unclear why these assignments in the LFO section are not automatically part of the modulation matrix.

Talking about the modulation matrix, why are there three dedicated slots for mod wheel, pressure and vel sens (or which are these again, I am not at the instrument right now)? They behave precisely as the other slots, but you cannot freely assign the source.

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 06:32:33 PM »
Is there a logic why the LFO modulation assigned in the designated LFO section behaves differently from LFO assignments made in modulation matrix? .

Matrix modulation works at half the resolution (with positive values) than the direct LFO amount.
+1 in the matrix would be twice the amount of “1” on LFO amount.

Matrix allows you to apply sources to destinations in the negative - making it fundamentally different than the other parameter.

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2018, 12:44:32 AM »
Thank you for clarification, pretty crucial to know that resolution in modmatrix is half from the one in lfo section. There is probably a hardware-limitation because of which both are not full resolution, bi-directional, right?

By the way, i would still be very interested to know why there are dedicated mod slots.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2018, 05:50:49 AM »
I bet this is a leftover from the Prophet 08... perhaps even a bug that never got fixed on the Prophet 08, and that DSI decided not to fix (or talk about) since fixing it would no doubt create chaos with any and all programs made prior to it's discovery...

I tested this a bit, and if you set up a program with LFO1 set to square wave, and route this to pitch and set the amount to maximum, then if you were to get the same modulation from the Mod Matrix, then the amount knob would have to be set to only 32... this hints that Mod Matrix modulation amount set to the same as in the LFO secions are actually four times as "strong".

Since the Prophet 08 also had Mod Matrix slots, and the REV2 is backward compatible with it, the Prophet 08 must also have had this peculiarity ... if it's an inherited bug or intended, only DSI knows.

But all in all, I think it's nice because you then have a way to make more subtle modulations via the LFO section which is especially suitable for vibrato as you were talking about here.

I actually did not know this... so thanks for bringing it up :)

What I'm now wondering though is, if the LFO Amount is at 25% of the actual modulation, and the ModMatrix at 100%... or if it's 100% for the LFO section, and 400% for the ModMatrix.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 05:56:39 AM by Razmo »
If you need me, follow the shadows...

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2018, 10:55:34 AM »
Interesting.... I did not know this either... gotta write myself a post it note so I don't forget this.   Wouldn't be a bad idea to add a note about this in any future revisions of the user manual (pg 31-33, add * explaining differences)

FEATURE REQUEST:  It would be very helpful if a small portion of the UI screen could display the final value of parameters that are destinations in the Mod Matrix.   So, when we have mod matrix open and set destination of an LFO or Mod Wheel or Whatever to Filter Cutoff for instance, a numeric value in the bottom of the screen shows what the current value is for that destination parameter.   If cutoff knob is set to 20, and an LFO is swinging from 0-50,  then the numeric value would go from 20-70... so you could see the SUM EFFECT of all modulations on a given destination...  then you can quickly and easily "debug and fine tune modulations" and figure out if you're hitting thresholds.   (Even if its very small text value, would be very helpful, like in Globals where the current voice is shown A0... A15)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 11:04:32 AM by creativespiral »

OB-X8, Pro 3, P6, Rev2, Take 5, 3rd Wave, Deepmind, PolyBrute, Sub 37
Sound Sets:
https://sounddesign.sellfy.store/
Free Patches:
https://www.PresetPatch.com/user/CreativeSpiral