usb to midi cable

cbx

usb to midi cable
« on: September 27, 2018, 11:35:41 AM »
If I use a usb converter, and connect it to a usb to midi cable, will it work on a tetra usb port? I ordered a usb adapter so I guess in a few days I will find out if it works.

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
Re: usb to midi cable
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2018, 05:39:49 PM »
All depends on the adapter and if it recognises compliant devices or only certain ones.  They are all pretty good like that now days.

cbx

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2018, 06:10:50 PM »
Well I ordered the converter, from USB B (the port type on tetra) to I think A or C (the normal size that the cable plugs into a computer). I have a bunch of midi converter cables I got in a sale, so when I get the adapter I will see if you can plug it into the tetra. The reason was, my tetra midi din was having problems but I think it may be fixed now.

cbx

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2018, 03:50:54 AM »
Lol, no not what I meant. I realize it's easy to misunderstand. What I wanted was to see if could connect it to my mopho with a USB cable using a converter. It doesn't work because the tetra USB port does not seem to provide the power to the USB midi converter (a USB uno cable).

cbx

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2018, 04:07:54 AM »
I am very confused because my Tetra will work fine with my drum machine and my sequencers but will not talk to my Mopho. ??? :o

cbx

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2018, 04:19:19 AM »
I really don't understand it. It will not work with either of my Mophos or my little phatty. But, when plugged into various sequencers, or on the drum machine bass channel. It works fine. I have reset globals, cleaned it. It makes no sense to me at all.  :(

cbx

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2018, 04:27:36 AM »
The only logical conclusion I can draw is that for some reason it doesn't get note off messages. It's not apparent until I plug a keyboard controller into it. I will either have to see if I can get it repaired from DSI or just use it with the sequencer. I can not understand why it hates keyboards now though.

oops I meant Sequential, they are not DSI anymore.

cbx

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2018, 04:31:41 AM »
Well it gets even weirder now. I have all these old hardware midi sequencers i love because they don't require evil computers to crash and destroy all your sequences to use. I'm not a ludite, I'm just so post modern I survived Windows 95 and 98 and 2000 and XP. Now, if I plug it into the MIDI thru of a sequencer it plays just fine by keyboard.

I have no idea what it could be my knowledge of electronics is enitely theoritical and I am not at all good with a soldering stick.

cbx

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2018, 04:50:30 AM »
I have it working now. I run polychain out into the sequencer. Then connect the tetra to the midi thru. Now it works fine. I have no understanding of electronics, other than NPN and PNP, and some math. This works fine, and is how I usually connect the keyboard to the sequencer, so I can loop it back into the keyboard and the drum machine

As long as it works I am happy.

cbx

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2018, 07:10:19 AM »
If it was a midi loop problem, it should work if I turn it off and back on. It is working with the mopho again, and I have had this for a long time and never had this happen before. My hair is falling out. So, this next time if it suddenly stops working and all the lights spin and lock up. I will turn it off and move to the other keyboard I isolated from everything. It should certainly not be a midi loop if I turn it off, if it works then I guess that was very subtle.

cbx

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2018, 07:37:56 AM »
Wnat made it so confusing is I have two tetras. And I have tried everything possible to determine if it was a midi loop. However, this tetra is was really weird. I could not edit combos from it, because it would not display the voice name. Also, I could not edit the B part. So I upgraded the OS. Then, while it was attached to the mixer, the cable was pulled very hard when someone decided to visit me. So, I was convinced the cable had broke the solder or something. I put OS 1.5 back on but still, acting weird.

I thought I had ruled out for certain that it was not a midi loop. Surely the other tetra would lock up too, but that was just fine. I moved it to other keyboard not connected to any loop. I turn it off and on. Don't know, it can make you go crazy. It is very old and I don't even know if they would repair it now, or if it even needs repairs or I am just doing something wrong see.

cbx

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2018, 07:43:25 AM »
Ok, so it cut out again like it always does. This time, I turned it off. I know there is no midi loop back. I can't use midi ox to look. So, I turned it off and moved it to the other keyboard. Nothing.

So it's not a midi loop problem. But it works fine with the sequencer and drum machine.

Wait. The keys I pressed five minutes ago now just lit up and did not turn off. Lol. It's possessed. Beat's me if it can even be fixed, because the problem is beyond my ability to understand.

cbx

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2018, 07:54:20 AM »
I have tested everything possible. It can be quite tedious and rather frustrating because you have to make sure the parameters are set correctly. You got the right cables connected to the right places. That you turn polychain on or off. Etc.

It's not a midi loop problem. But it works when connected to the sequencer, and I can actually polychain it through the sequencer using midi thru. I don't understand it, but it works and that's all I need.

cbx

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2018, 08:06:40 AM »
You will go kookoo with this kind of problem.

Alright the OS upgrade messed up all my patches. No problem, I have them all backed up. So I uploaded all the original factory. But, still doesn't work right.

Then I thought at last I had fixed it by cleaning whatever that stuff was off the pins. But, I had it hooked to my drum machine sequencer. For whatever reason, it works just fine with that and my sequencers.

I was convinced I had somehow fixed it by cleaning it and sent all my patches back to it. But, the new OS hates my Mopho and all the patches are so messed up. Unison is randomly on and off. It wants to switch between A/B despite, I don't have a key split or stack setup. So, I have to put all the factory back on again to test this.

It just really hates keyboards. All of them. Even just controllers.

cbx

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2018, 08:11:25 AM »
Well I did not want to send it for repair because I don't think it's a Sequential/DSI fault. Unless, somehow that beta OS can make permenant changes that don't go away when you put the 1.5 OS on. In any case, I really didn't want to do that because I have had bad luck changing OS before. It worked fine,  I just couldn't edit combos and also the 2 voices were distorted.

cbx

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2018, 08:18:42 AM »
Well I was just embarassed because I got it used from Guitar Center and they're employees are notoriously rude to anything that is not a piece of wood with strings. But I really wanted my mini Prophet-10 so I took the risk. Might have been a display model but it was fine, just had the weird combo edit problem.

cbx

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2018, 10:17:19 PM »
Whoa, is possessed. I discovered what might possibly be the problem. For whatever reason, the unison/key split seems to be randomly set on some patches. So, when it acted up I unplugged it. When I found out Unison is on, I tried to write the patch to the Tetra. But, strangely it wrote Rainstorm patch. But that isn't even on my Mopho that I can tell.

So once I turned off Unison and Key stack, it started working again. I wonder why in the world it send that patch though.

cbx

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2018, 10:31:37 PM »
Well, now I'm pretty sure I know what is happening. If I switch to a patch that has A/B set, but there is no voice. It goes crazy. It might work, it might not. If I turn it off and back on with that patch, it doesn't work. But, I am able to get it started on a patch without any A/B, it works again.

I don't remember ever having to mess with the A/B settings before, and it has been a very weird problem making me think the connector shorted because it makes no sense why it suddenly won't work, even when turned off and on again. But, it will come back on the same patch I left it, and it doesn't have a B voice setting.

cbx

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2018, 10:44:02 PM »
Beat's me but it works in midi thru through an old sequencer. I don't really want to send it for repair as I just use it for my self it's not very important as long it works.

cbx

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2018, 11:03:31 PM »
I'm positive I broke a solder point, because it was being pulled by the mixer. But, I had just updated the OS, so what I a time for it to happen.