Bad luck with my new OB6 :(

Bad luck with my new OB6 :(
« on: September 26, 2018, 07:01:35 PM »
So i was so happy with my new OB6 but unfortunately tonight i discovered a malfunction on my unit : the button TENS / Increment does not work. Nothing happens when i press it, like i show in the video below :

https://youtu.be/5tEsQP9KZTQ

Too bad because i'm from Brazil and just bought the unit in New York city last week, but only noticed the problem when i was back in home :(

Apart of this issue, the unit seems to work well.

I'm already contacting the Sequential support, but in the meantime to make the unit functional for me, i need to change its Midi channel, currently set to ALL, to 9. When i press Globals , then press 8, the word 'ALL' shows in the LCD. If i press BANK / Decrement not happens, i suppose because this is the first option. Because my TENS / Increment button not work, i can't go to next option, that i suppose to be 1, then 2 and so on.

Is there a way to do it without using the TENS button ? Maybe via Sysex or another way ?

If i could do it, at least i can use the unit while i figure out with the Sequential support what to do...

Thanks in advance !
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 07:03:18 PM by discorules »

Re: Bad luck with my new OB6 :(
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 10:28:11 PM »
Sorry about your problem. Was it working when you got the unit and it stopped working, or has it never worked ?

Have you tried pressing it repeatedly several times quickly and firmly ?

Have you tried a Globals reset (holding Globals + Write) ?
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2018, 05:18:04 AM »
Sorry about your problem. Was it working when you got the unit and it stopped working, or has it never worked ?

Have you tried pressing it repeatedly several times quickly and firmly ?

Have you tried a Globals reset (holding Globals + Write) ?

Yes, i tried the Globals reset, no luck. It seems to be a physical problem in the button itself or the board behind the front panel.

Any way to change the Midi Channel without using this button ?

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2018, 11:09:58 AM »
Good news ! After i did the procedure below recommended by the Sequential support, the button started to work ! :D

"The next thing to try would be to try a button cleaning routine on the button. To do so, simply press the button 50-100 times with a good deal of force. This usually clears up any intermittent/non operation of a button."

So this is useful information, if anyone also has a similar problem.

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2018, 04:52:48 PM »
That’s what I suggested in my earlier reply.

Glad that it worked. I had a similar thing happen on my OB6 with the Globals button after I hadn’t used it for a long period. Cheap switches that oxidize easily when not used on a regular basis...
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

Sleep of Reason

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2018, 05:56:34 PM »
I've experienced this exact issue with other DSI synths before that had indeed sat around unused. Very worrisome to hear that it's due to cheapness of parts oxidizing. I wonder what this says about the life expectancy of said gear...

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2018, 06:22:24 PM »
I don't see any merit in the claim that we use cheap switches that oxidize easily.
SEQUENTIAL

Sleep of Reason

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2018, 06:57:05 PM »
I truly hope so, but that reply doesn't exactly set my mind at ease... I would appreciate some kind of elaboration including why this is happening.

Thanks.

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2018, 10:18:21 PM »
I don't see any merit in the claim that we use cheap switches that oxidize easily.

What else could it be if simply "working them out" vigorously clears the oxidized contacts temporarily ?
Don't get me wrong, the OB6 is a superb instrument. Just not very sturdy if some switches already fail to work properly when not used regularly IMHO.
That's coming from a guy with over 30 years experience as an electronics hobbyist/repair man who has seen his share of poor performance out of cheap parts, or bad batches of components. I don't know how many failing Tact switches I've had to replace in all those years ? Probably hundreds.

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2018, 07:33:00 AM »
That’s what I suggested in my earlier reply.

Glad that it worked. I had a similar thing happen on my OB6 with the Globals button after I hadn’t used it for a long period. Cheap switches that oxidize easily when not used on a regular basis...

Thank you, actually i tried when you suggest, but i did not press it 'firmly', because fear of somehow break it. But after the support tell me to 'firmly press' , i pressed it about 20 times, fast and strong, and it worked finally.

Although i'm happy it is working now, i'm worried the same problem can occur again. Actually i feel kind disappointed such an expensive instrument had this kind of primary fail...

Anyway, let's move on :)

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2018, 10:12:04 AM »

Anyway, let's move on :)

Agreed. Let's enjoy our beloved OB6 !

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2018, 10:19:22 AM »
Switches do fail, of course, just like any other component. Tactile switches are pretty simple in their mechanical operation. Like anything that makes a physical electrical connection, the more routinely it's exercised, the better it will perform. Simply by the way they are constructed, these switches are self-cleaning. We use quality parts from trusted manufacturers that are no more prone to failure than any other switches of their type.

In any case, if a switch failure (or any other failure) occurs within the warranty period on a new instrument, we fix it at no cost to the owner. If a failure occurs outside of the warranty period, we fix it for $25, whether you're the original owner or not. This goes for any instrument in our catalog, whether it's still in production or has been discontinued. Yes, we still fix 15 year old Evolvers for $25.

I hope this gives you some confidence in our commitment to keeping our instruments alive and well for the long term.
SEQUENTIAL

Sleep of Reason

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2018, 10:25:48 AM »
Good to know you guys stand by your instruments and thanks for the clarification. It's a truly phenomenal sounding instrument.

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2018, 10:39:59 AM »
Yes, very reassuring to know that. Thanks !

And a testament to the dedication of Sequential's team members towards customers satisfaction.

Cheers.

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2018, 02:50:54 PM »
Good news ! After i did the procedure below recommended by the Sequential support, the button started to work ! :D
"The next thing to try would be to try a button cleaning routine on the button. To do so, simply press the button 50-100 times with a good deal of force. This usually clears up any intermittent/non operation of a button."
So this is useful information, if anyone also has a similar problem.

Right! I'm going off to press all the buttons on my Prophet-6 but maybe not TOO hard!
Prophet-6 nut. Formerly, just a Prophet-5 nut.