Overdrive when changing factory presets. Is this normal?

Overdrive when changing factory presets. Is this normal?
« on: September 23, 2018, 11:22:47 AM »
Hi all,

First post, happy to be here.  I recently picked up a brand new OB-6.  It's an amazing sounding synth but I'm having an issue when I change from one factory preset sound bank to another:  First, I'm getting an extreme volume increase that is accompanied with the signal overdriving.  It goes away once I turn the prgm vol knob.
Second, the envelope settings change regardless of where the ADSR knobs are set. And third, the fliter frequency also changes.  Again, when I turn the knobs for the envelopes and the filter they act as they normally should.  Also, I've recalibrated the oscillators each day. 
Has anyone else experienced these issues or is this normal for the OB-6?

Thanks in advance

Re: Overdrive when changing factory presets. Is this normal?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2018, 05:55:17 PM »
Hi all,

First post, happy to be here.  I recently picked up a brand new OB-6.  It's an amazing sounding synth but I'm having an issue when I change from one factory preset sound bank to another:  First, I'm getting an extreme volume increase that is accompanied with the signal overdriving.  It goes away once I turn the prgm vol knob.
Second, the envelope settings change regardless of where the ADSR knobs are set. And third, the fliter frequency also changes.  Again, when I turn the knobs for the envelopes and the filter they act as they normally should.  Also, I've recalibrated the oscillators each day. 
Has anyone else experienced these issues or is this normal for the OB-6?

Thanks in advance

Not sure I understand what you're asking or not, but I'll try. Is this your first DSI synth? If so, the default setting for knobs is usually set to "jump" which means the knob will jump to the current position you see on the panel. But, you can change it to "relative," which starts it moving toward the actual value of the presets you're on based on the current knob position and the direction you're turning. And lastly there is "passthrough" where the knob has to pass through the actual presets value before changing the setting on the preset. Again not sure if this helps, but maybe what you're experiencing. These are in global settings.

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2018, 10:15:41 PM »
Yes, this is my first DSI synth.  I think I understand what you're referring to and that would make a lot of sense as far as the issue I'm having. I'll take a look at the global settings.  Thanks.

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2018, 12:09:02 AM »
Just a quick update:  I switched out my old junk monitors for a pair of JBL 306p's and that made all the difference.   The volume changes are still there between presets but the nasty distortion is gone. 

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2018, 01:21:12 PM »
Just a quick update:  I switched out my old junk monitors for a pair of JBL 306p's and that made all the difference.   The volume changes are still there between presets but the nasty distortion is gone.

Great, enjoy! It is an incredible synth.