CV into expression pedal input

CV into expression pedal input
« on: September 20, 2018, 02:01:38 AM »
Is there anyone here doing this? Let me know how I can safely do it without getting a euro utility module (do not have rack as of now)
 I see this guy doing it https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wCgFJ8VMlPc# , but not much detail is shared about voltages or polarity.

Re: CV into expression pedal input
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 03:10:57 AM »
Would a Moog CP-251 achieve this?

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 01:56:22 PM »
That is what this guy is using, but does the moog unit simply pass signal with attenuation, or does it limit current? I want to do this, but I also don't want to blow up my synth!

I appreciate the reply,
 Cheers.

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2018, 02:15:29 AM »
I’m not sure whether it has limiters. I’d suggest reading the manual which is available on the Moog website. It does have knobs for attenuation. The inputs on the unit and the synth may have protection from over-voltage; again, I’d suggest consulting the respective manuals.

Have you contacted the poster of the above video via YouTube by leaving a comment s/he may get back to you with a helpful response.

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2018, 02:20:53 AM »
Im sending CV from my pro 2 into the pedal input of the p12. It works fine, but can anyone confirm if this is harmful? (Im doing the same to my ob6 btw)

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2018, 09:19:05 AM »
I've read through the P12 manual and couldn't find anything about protection in the pedal input. The moog utility only attentuater the signal and prevents negative polarity. To be safe I'd need a voltmeter and need to know the allowable voltage into the p12. Not the most elegant solution.
 Is anybody else here experimenting with CV into the pedal input?
 Cheers.

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2018, 09:24:52 AM »
Im experimenting with it, but i dont know anything more than that the P12 works great with CV from my Pro 2. But wether it is a healthy solution in the long term i couldnt tell you......

*i have been sending both positive and negative CV from my pro 2, and nothing is out of the ordinary. I have been doing this for roughly 3 weeks now.

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2018, 02:19:28 PM »
Good to know that it works for you!
 I'm too much of a wuss to just go for it without knowing the particulars, $4k CAD synth.

I don't think the pedal input will take negative polarity. There must be some protection in the circuit. That being said, you're taking a chance in my opinion.
  From my limited understanding, the pedal input sends voltage on the tip of the trs cable and receives voltage on the ring; the pedal simply accentuates the voltage. Maybe the only way to be sure is voltmeter before any patch...

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2018, 10:22:42 AM »
This video might be helpful.  Check out tip # 1 at 1:00
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLuAXkBnIxo