Prophet X Desktop

Prophet X Desktop
« on: September 19, 2018, 05:14:40 AM »
So, I know Dave has said no desktop version but I am hoping he walks that back. I see people saying the same thing on various forums, basically: “Very cool but I don’t need another synth with keys” or “I don’t have room for a synth with keys”. There is also a subset of people that are into synths that don’t t really use black and white keys, they use sequencers, alternative controllers, etc.

I am kind of a mix of all of the above. I would love to see a desktop version with MIDI MPE supported. Instant buy for me. Anyone else have a similar sentiment?

Re: Prophet X Desktop
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 07:10:10 AM »
I’m with you on the MPE support, at least, and sent that request to Sequential shortly after getting my Prophet X.

Gomjab

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 07:45:48 AM »
I’m with you on the MPE support, at least, and sent that request to Sequential shortly after getting my Prophet X.

I own a Roli and a LinnStrument so any company that adds MPE to their synth is going to get extra consideration from me.  I have passed on the Waldorf Quantum and Prophet X for now.  But MPE may have pushed me over the edge for the Prophet X and a Prophet X module with MPE would be an instant buy.

Sleep of Reason

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 01:28:22 PM »
Either a desktop or start making synths with better keys than Fatar TP/9S. For a four grand instrument I'd want something better like TP/8S.

Gomjab

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2018, 04:41:56 PM »
Either a desktop or start making synths with better keys than Fatar TP/9S. For a four grand instrument I'd want something better like TP/8S.

I wish Fatar would make a bold move and create a statement keybed with poly aftertouch.  Maybe MPE will raise awareness for PolyAT.  I know MPE is more than polyAT but being a piano player first I still like piano keys.  A flagship synth with a good polyAT would make quite a stir.

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2018, 06:20:35 AM »
As a Roli Seaboard owner I am thinking about getting the prophet x, too, but am also put off by the lack of mpe support. I am continually astounded by the lack of implementation of such a great feature by all the major synth producers. The prophet x with mpe would be an instant buy for me, it'd be such a powerful instrument. Anyone have any idea if this might be possible as a software update somewhere down the line?

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2018, 07:45:56 AM »
You aren't the only one who has asked, as it was among my first requests after getting my Prophet X.  It's almost certainly possible, but I don't think it's wise to count on it.  I'm planning to be pleasantly surprised if it ever does get added.  In the meantime you should be able to use the Seaboard in poly aftertouch mode, which the Prophet X does support.

LoboLives

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2018, 08:18:48 AM »
I actually think it would have been cool to add a ribbon controller across the synth above the keyboard and have it be a single MPE supported strip of the Linnstrument. Would have been a huge game changer.

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2018, 10:38:47 PM »
Guess the problem to fit it in a desktop is that the X uses a standard Mini-ITX PC motherboard which  is not under DSI design +  the SSI 2144 analog board, with the Xilinx Artic 7 FPGA, which connects to the host board isn't small either. Then they need to find space for all the LCD displays, the controller boards and the harddisk. All in all it would be a pretty big undertaking + it would likely become more the size of a Benchtop than a Desktop, perhaps like the form factor of an MPC5000/MPC-X. Very simplified the X is equivalent to an USB based external controller with displays (Push like), a PC running headless Linux and a PCI-e (Thunderbolt) soundcard. Very impressive nevertheless.
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/J3455-ITX/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QDCocnt0M

« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 10:52:43 PM by musicmaker »

DMS

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2018, 01:59:23 PM »
Guess the problem to fit it in a desktop is that the X uses a standard Mini-ITX PC motherboard which  is not under DSI design +  the SSI 2144 analog board, with the Xilinx Artic 7 FPGA, which connects to the host board isn't small either. Then they need to find space for all the LCD displays, the controller boards and the harddisk. All in all it would be a pretty big undertaking + it would likely become more the size of a Benchtop than a Desktop, perhaps like the form factor of an MPC5000/MPC-X. Very simplified the X is equivalent to an USB based external controller with displays (Push like), a PC running headless Linux and a PCI-e (Thunderbolt) soundcard. Very impressive nevertheless.
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/J3455-ITX/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QDCocnt0M

Thanks for the inside look and tutorial. I’m going to pull mine apart this week. Seems I’ve lost the instrument oled screen, tech support has instructed me to pop the hood and check the ribbon cables

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2018, 02:50:41 AM »
Well... I'd consider getting a module version if available... even if it's bigger than an ordinary desktop module... but the price difference to one with a keybed would definitely be a factor in deciding on it. I liked the fact that the P12 module was considerably cheaper than the keys version... not like with the P6 and OB6 modules where the difference is just the keys... If they do a module version they should do it like the P12 module... reduced controls in the same way of the P12 module... i know that not everyone would want that, but if the price difference is nothing more than what we see with the P6/OB6 modules I'm not interrested... at all...
If you need me, follow the shadows...

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2019, 09:11:13 PM »
I would love to see a desktop version with MIDI MPE supported. Instant buy for me. Anyone else have a similar sentiment?
Since  I got my Roli Seaboard 49  I haven’t wanted to play anything else... A Prophet X Desktop with MPE support would be an instant buy for me as well!   Seems to me that the kind of sounds in the Prophet X would be a perfect match for the expressivity of MPE.. a killer combo!! ... and would attract a large number of buyers, to both Prophet X and to controllers such as Roli and Linnstrument...  expanding the customer base of all of them. The Desktop  form factor is critical because the standard Prophet X keyboard would just get in the way… I want my Seaboard  as close as possible to the Prophet X controls... and I want all (or at least most of) the controls, Not a subset as with the P12 desktop.
One more thing…  for the piano sounds in Prophet X  I would use my weighted 88 key keyboard (which is right under my Seaboard),  so I would have no use ( and no room) for the built-in keyboard on the Prophet X.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 09:49:41 PM by jmcoffin »

Nokki

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2019, 09:01:04 AM »
Why not use the same technology to create a Tempest 2.0 ? - That would be a sort of module version of the Prophet X I guess. - I Would buy it instantly even though have a Prophet X.

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2019, 10:57:32 AM »
Why not use the same technology to create a Tempest 2.0 ? - That would be a sort of module version of the Prophet X I guess. - I Would buy it instantly even though have a Prophet X.

During a SonicState interview at NAMM this year Dave Smith hinted that some kind of drum module with similar technology was interesting from his perspective, but it doesn’t sound like anything along those lines is imminent.

I’d be interested, too, but I’d expect it to be a slightly different beast than the Prophet X.  You’d want each key / pad to have independent programming for filters, panning, and so forth.  It would also be valuable to have more flexibility in output routing with a few independent busses with appropriate insert effects.  So the whole interface is going to need some rethinking and that’s a large part of the magic of Sequential’s instruments.