MIDI hung notes

MIDI hung notes
« on: September 15, 2018, 05:44:01 AM »
Ever since I added the Rev2 to my rig, I'm getting stuck notes a lot. 

My Rev2 is a master keyboard.  While auditioning sounds, either my Kronos or Minitaur will sometimes keep playing a note.  I ignored the first few times, but this is happening too often to just write off.

Is this a known issue?
Moog One <> Prophet Rev2 16V <>  Andromeda <> Kronos 61 <> Nord Stage 2 HA76 <> Integra 7 <> Minilogue XD module <> Blofeld desktop <> Behringer Model D <> Minitaur <> Slim Phatty <> Matrix 1000 <> Micron <> Privia PX-5S <>  MODX7 <> TG77 <> ASM Hydrasynth <> Perform VE <> FCB1010

kris

Re: MIDI hung notes
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2018, 06:16:03 AM »
I use my Rev2 as a master all the time, and haven't encountered any issues. What's your MIDI setup? I route everything through a MOTU midi express XT with real DIN cables, no USB for me.
Check out the free Sysex Librarian for Sequential and more https://github.com/christofmuc/KnobKraft-orm

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2018, 06:38:29 AM »
I do use USB from the Rev2 to play the Kronos on channels 2 and 3.  The DIN MIDI out plays the Minitaur.  There also is a PX-5S coming to the IN of the Rev2.

My final set up will have my Digital Music MX8 MIDI patch bay routing everything.  I'll disconnect the MIDI USB and try all DIN with that set up.  Thanks
Moog One <> Prophet Rev2 16V <>  Andromeda <> Kronos 61 <> Nord Stage 2 HA76 <> Integra 7 <> Minilogue XD module <> Blofeld desktop <> Behringer Model D <> Minitaur <> Slim Phatty <> Matrix 1000 <> Micron <> Privia PX-5S <>  MODX7 <> TG77 <> ASM Hydrasynth <> Perform VE <> FCB1010

S Y Z Y G Y X

• WWW.SYZYGYXMUSIC.COM
    • S Y Z Y G Y X
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2018, 05:11:45 PM »
When I first got my Rev2 and hooked it up to my iMac I would get hung/stuck notes every 2 minutes usually when turning any of the Rev2’s knobs...thus was so bad I almost returned it.  At last effort I took out the dumb usb cable and just hooked it up with midi cables to midi interface and that solved the problem.
SEQUENTIAL Pro 3, DSI Prophet 12, DSI Prophet Rev2-8, Moog Subsequent 37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Novation Bass Station 2, BOSS VE500, MOTU Micro Lite, AKAI APC240 MKII, SSL Fusion, UAD Apollo X6, MacBook Pro 2017, ADAM A7X Monitors, Logic X
www.syzygyxmusic.com
https://syzygy-x.bandcamp.com

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 03:22:17 AM »
I had the Rev2 on USB MIDI into my PC and had the same issue as those above.

The same fix too, move it to the 5 PIN DIN MIDI input on my interface.

Wondering if this issue has been raised with DSI?

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 10:39:26 AM »
Since USB is bi-directional (both in/out on the same cable), some people will end up with unexpected MIDI feedback loops when using USB MIDI, whereas if they only intend to send MIDI one way, using DIN MIDI "resolves" this for them since they only have the MIDI In or MIDI Out connected. This is one possible explanation. We have no evidence of or documented bugs pertaining specifically to USB MIDI issues with the Prophet Rev2.
SEQUENTIAL

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2018, 04:56:03 AM »
I have both MIDI IN and MIDI out DIN connected, I don't think it is a feedback loop issue.

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2018, 08:50:38 AM »
As a side note, the USB host on the Kronos only has one-way MIDI in.... no USB MIDI out, no USB MIDI thru.

Odd that it affects the Minitaur, which is only attached via a MIDI THRU.  Rev 2 has MIDI USB + DIN for the output option.

My Rev2 is in multi-mode, and often it's the B layer that gets stuck notes while srolling presets while sequencer is playing that stuck notes happen.  I'll try to recreate it predictably then report it as a bug to Sequential.

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2018, 10:29:11 AM »
I have both MIDI IN and MIDI out DIN connected, I don't think it is a feedback loop issue.

If you have both DIN MIDI In and Out connected, then you can absolutely still have a feedback loop. It's if you only had one of them connected that you could be certain that this is not the case.
SEQUENTIAL

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2018, 11:27:44 AM »
I have never had stuck notes with the Rev2. I use the 5 pin midi in/thru and the USB port. The usb port is only used to communicate with the CodeKnobs editor. I have the usb midi ports that show up in Nuendo set to inactive
Original Model D <> Sub 37 <> Minitaur <> Slim Phatty <> OB-6 <> Prophet Rev2 8Voice <> Integra 7 <> SE-02 <> Prologue16 <> Triton Le <> Boss Dr. Rhythm DR-55 <> Sound Gizmo

"They're not aliens...they're Americans!"
(The Mouse That Roared, 1959)

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2018, 06:43:59 AM »

If you have both DIN MIDI In and Out connected, then you can absolutely still have a feedback loop. It's if you only had one of them connected that you could be certain that this is not the case.

I'll reconnect the USB MIDI and have a good look at the routing in my DAW.

S Y Z Y G Y X

• WWW.SYZYGYXMUSIC.COM
    • S Y Z Y G Y X
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2018, 07:35:59 AM »
What DAW do you use?  My usb midi hung notes were happening in Logic X
SEQUENTIAL Pro 3, DSI Prophet 12, DSI Prophet Rev2-8, Moog Subsequent 37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Novation Bass Station 2, BOSS VE500, MOTU Micro Lite, AKAI APC240 MKII, SSL Fusion, UAD Apollo X6, MacBook Pro 2017, ADAM A7X Monitors, Logic X
www.syzygyxmusic.com
https://syzygy-x.bandcamp.com

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2018, 03:52:25 AM »
SONAR, the only MIDI feedback loops I've ever experienced are when I've forgotten to turn off 'local' on the synth.