Using the BCR2000 to edit the gated sequencer

kris

Using the BCR2000 to edit the gated sequencer
« on: September 14, 2018, 04:29:26 PM »
Hi friends,

I have created a new template for the BCR2000 in order to allow me to comfortably edit the gated sequencer. I definitely want to use the sequencer more, but with the menu diving I am always turned off, and I don't like to use software when I could turn a real knob.

I have uploaded the file to github so there is a dedicated place for it in the Internet and you can always find the latest version easily:

https://github.com/christofmuc/bcr2000_for_dsi_prophet_rev2

It is still a bit experimental, and for now only edits layer A, but when it proves useful it is easily expanded.

The layout on the BCR2000 after upload of the file is actually pretty simple:

• The top row of encoders is the first 8 steps of the gated sequence. The encoder group selects which of the 4 tracks of the sequencer you are editing.
  • The 16 buttons at the top determine if the gate is actually sent or if it is a rest. When the light is on, there will be a gate on the step, if the light is off, not. This effectively modifies track 1, so the buttons are logically coupled to the encoders.
  • The second encoder row is step 9 to 16 for track 1
  • The third encoder row is step 9 to 16 for track 2
  • The fourth encoder row is step 9 to 16 for track 3

And yes, the BCR2000 misses 8 encoders to also allow editing the last 8 steps of track 4, but hey, this is already much better than with the Rev2 alone!
Check out the free Sysex Librarian for Sequential and more https://github.com/christofmuc/KnobKraft-orm

Re: Using the BCR2000 to edit the gated sequencer
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 06:28:04 PM »
That's pretty generous of you to share your work like that.  I can relate to how much work and focus it takes to do that.  I have a BCF and a BCR that I programmed to control my Micron's parameters.  Sweeping through its various filters and enjoying the different flavors was really enhanced using the faders.  Especially fun with held chords and bass notes was this trick of setting a fader to scroll quickly back and forth through the various filter types, using 2 other faders on cutoff and resonance. It sounded like classic filter envelope sample and hold, but the flavor changed with each type.  The sweet spot was sweeping it through 2 pole Oberheim, 3 pole tb-303, moog ladder, arp 4 pole..... or through the multiple comb and formant filters.

A suggestion -- you can cover those missing 8 encoders for those last 8 steps easily.  Just use the next preset, sort of like a page 2 of parameters.  It's no big deal paging to the next preset to tweak a few parameters, then page back to the main preset for the bulk of your sequencer work.  If not, it's all good too, because something is better than nothing. 
Moog One <> Prophet Rev2 16V <>  Andromeda <> Kronos 61 <> Nord Stage 2 HA76 <> Integra 7 <> Minilogue XD module <> Blofeld desktop <> Behringer Model D <> Minitaur <> Slim Phatty <> Matrix 1000 <> Micron <> Privia PX-5S <>  MODX7 <> TG77 <> ASM Hydrasynth <> Perform VE <> FCB1010

kris

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2018, 06:14:14 AM »
That's pretty generous of you to share your work like that.  I can relate to how much work and focus it takes to do that.  ...

A suggestion -- you can cover those missing 8 encoders for those last 8 steps easily.  Just use the next preset, sort of like a page 2 of parameters.  It's no big deal paging to the next preset to tweak a few parameters, then page back to the main preset for the bulk of your sequencer work.  If not, it's all good too, because something is better than nothing.

Thank you! Luckily I could build on my experience creating a new Matrix 1000 setup (I see you have one of these as well) which can be found here: https://github.com/christofmuc/bcr2000_for_oberheim_matrix1000. As I use software to generate these BCR2000 presets, it took me no more than two (long) evenings for the Rev2 files.

I took your suggestion and added a second SYX file which will actually use 8 presets of the BCR2000 - one for each of the 8 tracks of the gated sequencer (with layer B being tracks 5-8). This is a bit less packed, but actually for me simple mind much easier to remember. The description of the layout is found at the site together with the files. Just visit https://github.com/christofmuc/bcr2000_for_dsi_prophet_rev2
Check out the free Sysex Librarian for Sequential and more https://github.com/christofmuc/KnobKraft-orm

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2018, 07:04:17 AM »
There ya go, way to think outside the box (or preset, in this case)!  I don't sequence that much, but I just might dust off my BCR (and BCF and Micron) and give your creations a try.   The BCR preset for the Matrix 1000 is right down my alley, thanks for posting that.

Looks like we have a lot of similar gear.  I gigged in the 90s with my cover band using the DW-8000 as my only keyboard.  I installed the chip that made it bi-timbral.  Got great sounds and programmability out of it, fun times live tweaking with that single data slider set to the right parameter.   With its modulating delay and full resonance analog filter, the DW got the drunk crowd at Cheers and George's rocking out to the space intro of 2112...

P.S.  Do you think it would be possible to add a control to independently (or simultaneously) control the volume levels of the 2 layers in the Rev 2?  Come to think of it, I could probably do that just as easily.  Simply need to set up one rotary for CC#7 on MIDI channel 2 (my default bass channel in my rig), and set up another rotary for ch3 CC#7.  The question is, will the Rev2 remember those levels once you write the edits to memory?
Moog One <> Prophet Rev2 16V <>  Andromeda <> Kronos 61 <> Nord Stage 2 HA76 <> Integra 7 <> Minilogue XD module <> Blofeld desktop <> Behringer Model D <> Minitaur <> Slim Phatty <> Matrix 1000 <> Micron <> Privia PX-5S <>  MODX7 <> TG77 <> ASM Hydrasynth <> Perform VE <> FCB1010

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2018, 08:13:23 AM »
Thanks, Kris, I've downloaded the .bcl files for the Rev2 and Matrix1000.  Also thanks for the head's up on BC-convert.

Quick side question.  I noticed on your Matrix1000 pdf, that there are parameters called "tracking generator".  The Micron has these as well.  What do they do and what is good way to implement them?  I'm guessing they're some kind of multipoint envelope?

kris

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2018, 10:23:54 AM »
Quick side question.  I noticed on your Matrix1000 pdf, that there are parameters called "tracking generator".  The Micron has these as well.  What do they do and what is good way to implement them?  I'm guessing they're some kind of multipoint envelope?

Off-topic answer  8): Yes, the Matrix has a 5-point curve that acts like an arbitrary mapping - you can select any source and map that value via the 5-point curve, and then use the result in the mod-matrix. Never used it so far, but now I have knobs for it! If you haven't, make sure to check out the CTRLR panel for the Matrix, I find it to be really good and useful. Sadly it doesn't sync all parameters properly when you use the BCR, but many knobs of the BCR immediately update the CTRLR as well, so it is easy to see the patch on screen. Quite nifty, for that old horse.

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2018, 10:26:34 AM »
Nice. Using the limited knobs for the gated seq isn’t horrible but I do miss the dedicated knobs on the Poly Evolver. Was thinking about doing the same thing with the Knobby I have lying around but there’s not really I spot for it in my setup.

kris

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2018, 10:33:42 AM »
P.S.  Do you think it would be possible to add a control to independently (or simultaneously) control the volume levels of the 2 layers in the Rev 2?  Come to think of it, I could probably do that just as easily.  Simply need to set up one rotary for CC#7 on MIDI channel 2 (my default bass channel in my rig), and set up another rotary for ch3 CC#7.  The question is, will the Rev2 remember those levels once you write the edits to memory?

Sounds you had quite some fun with the Korg! Awesome memories! I like mine, but - currently it's sitting dead in the corner after a failed attempt to install the new Turbo DW Mod II from Musitronics. Still waiting for an idea how to repair it.

What you want to control is not CC#7 - that's master volume and not stored in the preset. But each Layer has its parameter "Voice Volume", which is NRPN 29 for Layer A and NRPN 2077 for Layer B (2048 + 29). Just had the manual open anyway ;-)

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2018, 02:16:26 PM »
Good to know.   I'll hook up the BCR and try these out after work.