Is Beat Sync coming to Prophet 12?

Is Beat Sync coming to Prophet 12?
« on: September 10, 2018, 11:01:50 AM »
Just wondering if anyone has heard if an update with Beat Sync is on the way for P12? 

Re: Is Beat Sync coming to Prophet 12?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 03:01:40 AM »
I really really wish it was, but i doubt it saddly.

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2018, 04:56:08 AM »
Didn’t it recently get added to the Pro 2 and most other products in the stable. Seems reasonable that it might get added to the p12 too.

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 11:27:34 AM »
They recently (in the last month) added Beat Sync to the P6, Pro 2, Rev 2. 

I own the P6 as well as the P12, and the update really opened up the P6 for me (THANK YOU SEQUENTIAL/DSI!), so I'm really anticipating a similar update for the P12.

I just wondered if anyone had heard anything about the P12 on social media or anything.  I thought I read a thread about Beat Sync on the Pro 2 that said something like "they said it's coming for the others..." but I may have imagined it, because I can't find it again.

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2018, 12:41:02 PM »
I can't remember where I read it, but I saw a thread about P12 features in which a DSI representative said the code space for the P12 was basically full, and they consider it feature-complete now. So while it would be cool, I wouldn't get my hopes up.
Prophet 12, Modal 002, MFB Dominion 1, Behringer DeepMind 12D, Korg Polysix & EX-8000, Roland JX-8P, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K3m and now an OB-6!

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2018, 08:18:10 PM »
I can't remember where I read it, but I saw a thread about P12 features in which a DSI representative said the code space for the P12 was basically full, and they consider it feature-complete now. So while it would be cool, I wouldn't get my hopes up.

I bet you're thinking of the "Super" waveforms from the Pro 2.  They have said that the P12 doesn't have the CPU power to run them.

I sincerely doubt OS space is any limit to this happening--more like development time!  Years ago when I got the P12 (my first DSI synth after owning the Tempest first,) I was very disappointed to find only key sync for the arp.  I started a thread on the old DSI discussion forum, and I was told that Dave Smith had some sort of philosophical problem with the concept of Beat Sync.

I found that odd since the Tempest has had Beat Sync since day one! On that same thread it was suggested that Pym snuck that feature in under Dave's nose! :o. Anyhow, it seems there has since been a change of heart at Sequential/DSI, and I hope it translates to the P12 (eventually)!

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2018, 09:28:03 PM »
Well I’ll be very very pleased if it does.

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2018, 05:50:53 AM »
I would like to see this as well if its possible.

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2018, 11:55:13 AM »
I bet you're thinking of the "Super" waveforms from the Pro 2.  They have said that the P12 doesn't have the CPU power to run them.

I think you're right. Though I did remember there also being a phrase about it being feature complete.

That being said, it would be cool, as would envelope slop. So +1 from me.
Prophet 12, Modal 002, MFB Dominion 1, Behringer DeepMind 12D, Korg Polysix & EX-8000, Roland JX-8P, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K3m and now an OB-6!

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2018, 11:03:16 AM »
I'm still hopeful about this, but I'm no longer optimistic.    :-[ :(

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2018, 03:07:57 AM »
Hi,

Please forgive my naivety, what is Beat Sync in the context of the P12 ?

Thanks

Suzanne

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2018, 06:58:27 PM »
Hi,

Please forgive my naivety, what is Beat Sync in the context of the P12 ?

Thanks

Suzanne

When changing notes, beat sync essentially restarts the arp on the next beat instead of immediately when the keys are pressed (which is the current behavior).  This allows your arps to be kept tightly in time while improvising note and chord changes.  This is the behavior of classic and current Roland machines, for example.

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2018, 08:44:16 PM »
Ah, neat - I haven't played with the Arp much yet...There is a lot to get through....

Thanks for the reply.

Suzanne

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2018, 10:17:19 PM »
I find that even without beat sync, if you clock to an external source, and are careful with your LFO's, etc. you can get nearly the same result with some creative sequencing.

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2018, 09:32:29 AM »
I find that even without beat sync, if you clock to an external source, and are careful with your LFO's, etc. you can get nearly the same result with some creative sequencing.

Try this at 135 bpm with a 16th note arp and a dotted eighth note delay while changing chords every two beats.  ;D

The idea that a "good enough player" doesn't need Beat Sync isn't accurate.  Certain styles require it, and there is simply nobody who is a good enough player to keep the above scenario in sync for 3-5 minutes on a DSI Prophet 12.

DSI is so exasperating some times.  They add Linear FM to the P12, and the P2 people complain until it's added.  Then they add Beat Sync to the P2, and leave the P12 out?  Why?

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2018, 08:31:33 PM »

Try this at 135 bpm with a 16th note arp and a dotted eighth note delay while changing chords every two beats.  ;D

The idea that a "good enough player" doesn't need Beat Sync isn't accurate.  Certain styles require it, and there is simply nobody who is a good enough player to keep the above scenario in sync for 3-5 minutes on a DSI Prophet 12.

DSI is so exasperating some times.  They add Linear FM to the P12, and the P2 people complain until it's added.  Then they add Beat Sync to the P2, and leave the P12 out?  Why?

This function would be great. I played few gigs last year and remember that had a hard time to sync with the drummer. Thought I was keep losing a beat. So this would be great addition to p12 users.

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2018, 01:27:16 AM »
Everyone who can should email support@sequential.com and request this. I have experienced discovering things on dsi/sequential synths that i would like to be added and emailed support about it, to then see that the fix i wanted to happen be implementet in an update.

Lets not forget that this is a small company, and the users are also of a relatively small size. So there is a real possibillity to make changes happen if we put some energy into it. Im sure it also gives dave and his team positive energy to see a community that really cares, and gives feedback on how things can be better. No one lives in a vacuum, so lets all email support and in a kind and polite way state that we really want arp beat sync. We can make a change <3

Peace and love, and peace and love <3

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2018, 06:16:14 AM »
I believe they've already stated that the current code takes up all the space in the P12 and there is simply no room for adding more features

LoboLives

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2018, 02:51:57 PM »
I think you'll see a successor to the P12 before you see any more features added to it.

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2018, 04:07:35 PM »
at least you can use the MIDI OUT of another synth with arp/beatsynced
to trigger the P12.  So it is not impossible.

(still it would be great if there was a new bigger processor as an exchange. just what tubbutec did for many vintage synths.)