OSC2 bleeding into OSC1

ffx

OSC2 bleeding into OSC1
« on: September 08, 2018, 02:07:33 PM »
Hi,

if I set OSC 2 very high pitched and bright (so filter opened, too), and OSC 1 low and almost a sine, I clearly can hear that even on OSC 1/2 MIX = 0, OSC 2 is quite audioble.

It seems to me that OSC 2 even gets quieter until value 7 and then gets louder.

Is this a normal behaviour or is here some hardware not correctly calibrated?
I already run a OSC/Filter Calibration, it did not change it.

I read here in the forum that others had or have this problem, too?  Was it fixed? could not find any definite answer. So it is a hardware problem, but affects all units?

A workaround seems to be to set OSC2 to "almost sine" in the triangle mode, and then set the pitch so high that it will be (presumably) filtered out by digital section's AD-DA conversion (higher rate than nyquist of 44100 or something?).

Re: OSC2 bleeding into OSC1
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 02:44:47 PM »
Same here. But the audible level varies from voice to voice.

But, strangely, the reverse doesn't happen. There is no audio bleed from OSC1 at all when MIX is set to 127 (max) under the identical reverse settings.

Might be a CV DAC conversion issue, where value 0 from the MIX knob doesn't set the CV exactly to 0 volt to be sent to the BALANCE input pin of the DSI120 chip and doesn't turn the VCA output of OSC2 completely off perhaps ?
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2018, 10:13:12 PM »
Might be a CV DAC conversion issue, where value 0 from the MIX knob doesn't set the CV exactly to 0 volt to be sent to the BALANCE input pin of the DSI120 chip and doesn't turn the VCA output of OSC2 completely off perhaps ?

Same here, I suspect the same. Either the control voltage is not 0 or the chip is not completely separating the signals. Anyway, I guess it's most likely nothing which can be changed by software.
DSI Prophet Rev2

ffx

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 05:25:30 AM »
Thanks for your replies. Good to know. Initially I thought that you cannot disable OSC2, but now I found that you actually can, thru stepping the shape button. So I think this is not such a problem. And the presets then seem to be designed with this little imperfection.