First Monosynth?

Re: First Monosynth?
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2018, 08:05:39 PM »
Let us know what you think of it!
Jim Thorburn .  Toys-  Dave Smith: Prophet 5, Rev 4; Prophet 08; Pro 2; Prophet 12 module; EastWest Orchestral soft synths; Yamaha S-90; Yamaha Montage 8, Yamaha DX-7; KARP Odyssey; Ensoniq ESQ-1.  All run through a Cubase DAW with a Tascam DM-24 board.

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2018, 05:00:10 AM »
I've only managed to tinker with it for an hour or so, but oh my word! I can't get a bad sound out of this synth! And I'm usually very good at coaxing bad sounds out of my Rev2! Just wonderful...

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2018, 06:54:38 AM »
I've only managed to tinker with it for an hour or so, but oh my word! I can't get a bad sound out of this synth! And I'm usually very good at coaxing bad sounds out of my Rev2! Just wonderful...

My experience on the Polysix was like that--almost everything is a sweet spot. I blame the SSM filter. On the other hand, the architecture on the Polysix is extremely limited compared to the Mono/Poly, so it's really cool they managed that kind of usability with it.
Prophet 12, Modal 002, MFB Dominion 1, Behringer DeepMind 12D, Korg Polysix & EX-8000, Roland JX-8P, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K3m and now an OB-6!

Gomjab

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2018, 02:11:52 PM »

My experience on the Polysix was like that--almost everything is a sweet spot. I blame the SSM filter. On the other hand, the architecture on the Polysix is extremely limited compared to the Mono/Poly, so it's really cool they managed that kind of usability with it.

The PolySix was my first synth.  When I was looking at synthesizers they had a PolySix next to a MonoPoly.  Coming from a piano background I went for the six voice polyphony. I loved the PolySix but if I could go back in time I think the MonoPoly would have taught me a lot more about programming! 

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2018, 06:57:30 PM »

The PolySix was my first synth.  When I was looking at synthesizers they had a PolySix next to a MonoPoly.  Coming from a piano background I went for the six voice polyphony. I loved the PolySix but if I could go back in time I think the MonoPoly would have taught me a lot more about programming!

Getting given a "broken" MS-20 was like being given a crash-course in synthesis.  It wasn't broken, just the 1st owner couldn't program it to make a 'playable' (pitched) sound, even having a hard-routed signal as it does.

With regards to the original topic, I'd personally choose out of the options the Mother 32(s), as it is so much like how I started, but so much more!

« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2018, 11:43:51 AM »
So, I ended up pulling the trigger on a Mono/Poly. Won't be able to play it until Thursday, though. I guess I'll see then whether it was a sound decision or not!

A bit late to reply here but that has to be a good buy, it is a classic for a reason.

« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2018, 03:15:36 AM »
Oh, it's awesome! It's just not in my setup right now, as I have to ship it (or take it myself) from the UK to Russia, where I am currently living. Trying to work out exactly how to do that one...