What are some of the better Piano patches

What are some of the better Piano patches
« on: August 26, 2018, 11:02:53 AM »
Looking for good piano patches like a Steinway grand piano or something like this. Either rev 2 or prophet 8 patches.

Sleep of Reason

Re: What are some of the better Piano patches
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2018, 11:33:24 AM »
If you're looking for even remotely convincing Steinway grand piano sounds out of the REV2, then you're looking in the wrong place.

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2018, 11:56:12 AM »
Ok just some of the better piano patches

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2018, 12:11:27 PM »
Ok just some of the better piano patches

Reading your initial statement, it looks like you're after something that sound even remotely piano like... i really do not think you'll find that... the REV2 is an analog synthesier, not a workstation or sample player... in that regard you should look at the Prophet X instead which can do piano sounds...

If you try to create something piano like on a REV2, you can be 100% certain, that it will NOT fool anyone... you may come up with organ og electric piano sounds that may get closer, but the sound of a REAL piano is horribly complex and has never really been emulated properly outside of a sample player synth, and even these will not capture the detailed nuances of a piano's whole keyrange.

So even if you WANT piano like sounds from the REV2, I really do not believe anyone has tried to create one... simply because the result would be inferior to any cheap sample player synth...
If you need me, follow the shadows...

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2018, 01:43:18 PM »
Yeah, you’ll have to look at the Prophet X to get even remotely close to a piano.
Moog Voyager, Novation Peak, Waldorf Microwave XT, Nord Wave, Emu Audity 2000, Yamaha SY85 & TG500, Waldorf Pulse+, Yamaha FS1R, Sequential Pro One, Korg Wavestation A/D, Roland Juno-60, Yamaha CS-15, MFB Tanzbar, Crumar Bit-99, Emu Emax I, Casio FZ-20M, 12U of Eurorack.

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2018, 02:16:49 PM »
Better off with a great standalone software piano such as Synthogy Ivory II (the American D is great) or the Garritan CFX. Both are stand-alone, under £100 and have around 30 velocity layers so are very convincing. I suppose you could use a Rev 2 to control those…

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2018, 03:58:49 PM »
If you do want a patch that sounds like a synth trying to sound like a piano you might wanna check out this article:

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/synthesizing-pianos

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2018, 10:08:14 AM »
Wow, I did not know any of this. Thanks for the help!!

eXode

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2018, 11:46:55 AM »
Here's a stab at the JX Piano on the REV2 (and a variation). I guess more time could be spent tweaking, but it's a good start imho. And no, it doesn't sound like a real piano. :)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 11:54:49 AM by eXode »

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2018, 01:36:00 PM »
Using the audio mod option and tuning osc 1 to higher frequencies and osc mix towards osc 2 with a little added resonance does some awesome things when trying to make piano/keyboard style sounds.  It sounds almost digital, the closest comparison I can make is sounds that are like a cross between a dx7 and a MKS-10.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2018, 06:48:23 PM »
Here are Prophet '08 examples of what I've called a forte piano patch and an RMI patch:

shiihs

• phasing in and out of reality
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2018, 02:37:02 AM »
but the sound of a REAL piano is horribly complex and has never really been emulated properly outside of a sample player synth, and even these will not capture the detailed nuances of a piano's whole keyrange.

I beg to differ. Physical model based synthesis of piano has evolved considerably. To my ears it surpasses sample based approaches in that it convincingly captures nuances, dynamics, sympathetic string resonance etc found in real instruments - listen to some PianoTeq fragments online ( https://www.pianoteq.com/listen_by_instrument ) if you don't believe it.). Of course Rev2 is not a physical modeling based instrument and so I totally agree that it's not possible to get convincing accoustic piano sounds out of a Rev2.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 02:48:30 AM by shiihs »
--
gear: prophet rev2 16 voice, kawai NV10, casio wk-7600, Roland Integra-7, supercollider, ardour

links:

https://www.youtube.com/stefaanhimpe
https://soundcloud.com/stefaanhimpe
https://technogems.blogspot.com
https://a-touch-of-music.blogspot.com/

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2018, 09:54:02 AM »
Here are Prophet '08 examples of what I've called a forte piano patch and an RMI patch:

Can you please post your sysex piano files?  :D

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2018, 11:43:41 PM »
but the sound of a REAL piano is horribly complex and has never really been emulated properly outside of a sample player synth, and even these will not capture the detailed nuances of a piano's whole keyrange.

I beg to differ. Physical model based synthesis of piano has evolved considerably. To my ears it surpasses sample based approaches in that it convincingly captures nuances, dynamics, sympathetic string resonance etc found in real instruments - listen to some PianoTeq fragments online ( https://www.pianoteq.com/listen_by_instrument ) if you don't believe it.). Of course Rev2 is not a physical modeling based instrument and so I totally agree that it's not possible to get convincing accoustic piano sounds out of a Rev2.

Yes. The Roland Supernatural piano models are better than S&S.

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2018, 10:25:47 AM »
IMHO synthesizing an acoustic piano on a synth can be done quite convincingly but only for certain types of piano sounds and within limited ranges on the keyboard. Like you could achieve pretty decent lower octave sounds but the higher notes would suffer or vice versa. Key tracking can help but usually falls short. The Rev 2 should prove pretty capable here. I've made a few Electric Piano sounds that work very well but I've never tried to create an Ac. Piano on the Rev 2. Should be interesting.
Original Model D <> Sub 37 <> Minitaur <> Slim Phatty <> OB-6 <> Prophet Rev2 8Voice <> Integra 7 <> SE-02 <> Prologue16 <> Triton Le <> Boss Dr. Rhythm DR-55 <> Sound Gizmo

"They're not aliens...they're Americans!"
(The Mouse That Roared, 1959)

MPM

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2018, 11:30:57 PM »
Very much like the spooky stringy sound of the Sitcom Piano patch.
Maybe with some tweaking it might be a more convincing piano.
OB-6  Prophet-6  Prophet.Rev2/16  no kids

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2020, 07:14:02 PM »
Dunno if you're still interested all this time later, but I get to a piano-related noise situation that I find satisfying and kinda fun! Isn't going to fool anyone, and probably has more in common than an old electric church organ, but it has that snappy, chime-y quality that reminds me of the response from playing a piano (if that makes sense). Anyway, I bet a synthesist with more expertise than I could tweak this into something pretty clean.

enable 4 pole, sync and tune the oscillators exactly, with a touch of slop to keep it interesting. Make sure key amount is at 64, raise resonance all the way up and ear tune the filter cutoff until it's at the octave you like. This will give a good sine wave foundation. Osc 1 & 2 I put on pulse and saw+tri, respectively, and futz with audio mod until I find something that resonates with some sub. Set the mod wheel to env release to fake a piano pedal (or just route a pedal), lowest attack, decay highest, highest sustain, high release (as you like) unless using the mod wheel. Env3 to all osc shapes, find a movement that sounds good to you. Effects on chorus or reverb, whichever you like better. It definitely sounds more convincing at higher octaves.

Lemme know if you try it! I enjoy pretending like I'm good at playing keys with this voice haha (nothing like C and Am!)