Good keyboard for the module version ?

Good keyboard for the module version ?
« on: August 25, 2018, 12:19:10 PM »
Hi,

I'm planning to buy an Ob6 next month during a vacation in NY. I'm more inclined to the module version as it's a lot easier (and safer) to dispatch in the airplane when i go back home (Brazil).

What midi controller (no pads / knobs / just keys) would you guys recommend to use with the module ? I'm looking for good keys and aftertouch, but every model i found or have lots of knobs / sliders / pads or don't have aftertouch...

Thanks !

Re: Good keyboard for the module version ?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2018, 03:15:12 PM »
Do you want piano hammer action or semi-weighted synth action?

MPM

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2018, 05:47:28 AM »
I have the Arturia KeyStep (mini keyboard) which is excellent build quality, after touch, good velocity control, midi and CV out, and very cheap.

For normal size keys, Arturia also have a good selection, but lots of knobs on those. Again, the quality is excellent.
OB-6  Prophet-6  Prophet.Rev2/16  no kids

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2018, 02:50:50 PM »
I had a 49-key Novation SL when I bought my OB-6. It was a nice controller but too many buttons as complicated operation of them. I still mostly used my old Frontier Tranzport for local control.
After buying the OB-6 I sold the Novation and started using the OB as my controller. Far superior. I would recommend just buying the keyboard model...not the desktop and using the OB as controller. The wheels are some of the best I have used and the after touch is also OK. It lets you send portage to as well which is messy to setup on many controllers. I use it as a 2nd manual for my Nor Electro as well
DSI OB-6, Nord Electro 3HP & 6HP, Roland SoundCanvas SC55mkii, Beatstep Pro, KeyStep, Roland SE-02, MPD18 (+mpcstuff), Roland TD-4 V-drums, Fender-Rhodes Stage MK1, Reaper, plus dozens of acoustic instruments

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2018, 12:57:02 PM »
I actually love using my old Triton Studio 61 to control it.  Awesome classic yammy synth action, assignable buttons switches, aftertouch...all programmable.  Settable velocity and aftertouch curves, the works.  I especially love assigning "aftertouch hold" to one of the buttons above the joystick(love the old Korg joysticks).  Some of those old romplers make GREAT controllers.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 01:00:41 PM by John01W »

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2018, 06:30:04 PM »
I think the Novation SL MKII has the same Fatar keybed? They appear the same at least. Not sure if the springs or weights differ.
I considered getting the module version as well. But went with the full keyboard version since the only keyboard in my studio is the SL MKII. I figured it was about time I have a synth with it's own keys.