Small DSI Modules

Re: Small DSI Modules
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2016, 04:12:40 AM »
Sequential made a mistake of making products with low price tag like MAX and still unable to combat the situation.

I keep a Commodore 64 around just in case I ever acquire a Max. Also, to play Omega Race.

Great!! I have a friend who still uses ATARI 1040ST with Cubase running on it.

Also, it's true that KORG is keen on intentionally making toy-ish cheap analog synths. Nowadays simple single function products like iOS apps are preferred by light users, than flexible complex ones, hence the huge workstation synths are slowly declining. Unfortunately to the beginners, the flexibility of DSI synths can be interpreted as complicatedness that they can't handle and are overkill.
Don't get me wrong, I love the flexibility of my complex DSI PRO2 that brings me endless possibilities, but the entry level market is different from heavy users and synth geeks like me.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 04:14:38 AM by NemoSynth »
prophet 12, PRO2, mono evolver KB, Hikari Duo, Cobalt5S, Hydrasynth Explorer, microFreak, 0-Coast, 0-CTRL, ensoniq VFX-SD, Kurzweil PC361, Roland V-Synth, SH-4d, JD-XA, TB-3, A-50, KORG 800DV, wavestate, modwave, kaossilator 2, volca nubass/modular, SQ-1, iOS/Mac

chysn

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2016, 05:44:26 AM »
Great!! I have a friend who still uses ATARI 1040ST with Cubase running on it.

That's cool. I never got a MIDI interface for my C64, but it's got an interesting onboard three-voice multitimbral synth with an analog filter.

the entry level market is different from heavy users and synth geeks like me.

Sure, but the entry-level market isn't just for entry-level people. Experienced folks buy things like Volcas by the truckload because they're both inexpensive and sound good. Korg makes sacrifices in interface and build quality, but hits a lot of sweet spots that seasoned synthesists like.

The thing that makes the entry-level market different is diversity. Making small modules is only the beginning of being in the 2016 small module market; you also need to make a lot of them, because you'll have more misses than hits. Volca Keys gets little love, but Volca Beats may be one of the best drum machines ever produced. If your company is releasing only one or two instruments a year, there's a lot more pressure to be right all of the time. DSI churns out one solid instrument after another because they love what they're doing, and they have no choice.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2016, 05:10:07 AM »
You're right about cheap KORG analog synthesis products have appeal to seasoned users too. Also it's true that in this low end priced market small companies like DSI won't be able to compete with big ones like KORG since you can't miss a hit, not even a single hit, which is tough for small manufacturers. Hence, it's a wise descision for them to retire low end products.

This is a whole different story, but speaking of low prices, in fact, even mopho is sold at over US$800 here in Japan, a lot more expensive than the street price in the US which is something like US$499??
The prophet-12 in the States is street priced US$2,999, but in Japan over four or even over five grands in US$. It's not just the currency exchange rate issue. The sole importer/distributor in Japan "Fukusan-Kigyo" is greedy, and makes it virtually impossible for us to buy DSI products. Hence this is where cheap KORG comes in, even to professional customers.
I wish if DSI change the distributor in Japan so that we can purchase their synths more.
prophet 12, PRO2, mono evolver KB, Hikari Duo, Cobalt5S, Hydrasynth Explorer, microFreak, 0-Coast, 0-CTRL, ensoniq VFX-SD, Kurzweil PC361, Roland V-Synth, SH-4d, JD-XA, TB-3, A-50, KORG 800DV, wavestate, modwave, kaossilator 2, volca nubass/modular, SQ-1, iOS/Mac

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2016, 01:01:53 PM »
You're right about cheap KORG analog synthesis products have appeal to seasoned users too. Also it's true that in this low end priced market small companies like DSI won't be able to compete with big ones like KORG since you can't miss a hit, not even a single hit, which is tough for small manufacturers. Hence, it's a wise descision for them to retire low end products.

This is a whole different story, but speaking of low prices, in fact, even mopho is sold at over US$800 here in Japan, a lot more expensive than the street price in the US which is something like US$499??
The prophet-12 in the States is street priced US$2,999, but in Japan over four or even over five grands in US$. It's not just the currency exchange rate issue. The sole importer/distributor in Japan "Fukusan-Kigyo" is greedy, and makes it virtually impossible for us to buy DSI products. Hence this is where cheap KORG comes in, even to professional customers.
I wish if DSI change the distributor in Japan so that we can purchase their synths more.

There is nothing preventing you from traveling to the United States to purchase goods and bringing them back with you to Japan for your own personal use, provided that you are able to return them to the United States for warranty service (should the need arise). All of the Dave Smith products use switching power supplies capable of running on 100V, 115V or 230V AC, so there is no value added by the Japanese distributor to retain 100V-specific spares or power supplies.

An importer/distributor must provide a meaningful service to justify the added markup of goods; without that, there's just no point in engaging their network. Some do this, and others do not - unfortunately, this is a common problem experienced by foreign manufacturers when trying to do business in Japan. This ultimately will require a cultural change in the manner by which Japanese importers do business (i.e., no expectation of full importer/distributor markup in a global marketplace).

It is also worth pointing out that many global manufacturers adjust their profit margins for (read: subsidize) export sales, provided that there is stable distribution in export markets that will not undermine a strong retail sales network in the domestic market (i.e., grey-market goods). A good rule of thumb is that export retail price differentials should never exceed 20% over the equivalent domestic retail price, i.e., $1200 retail overseas, $1000 retail at home.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 01:08:57 PM by DavidDever »
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2016, 01:53:03 PM »
You don't need to travel to the USA, you just need to order from the USA, pay postage and and import duties and taxes in the country you are in.

Here in the UK I have purchased loads of gear from the USA like this, most dealers are happy to ignore any manufacturer restrictions, you tend to have to take a chance with the warranty though.

« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2016, 02:57:56 PM »
I did consider importing DSI instruments all by myself from US retailers, but as all of you said, the warranty will be the issue.

Also, here in Japan, KORG does pretty good priced distribution of overseas manufacturers' products, like Clavia and Arturia. Their prices in Japan are roughly equivalent of that of the original countries'. I wish if Korg Import Division or K.I.D did the distribution of DSI instead of current Fukusan-Kigyo.

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2016, 05:02:17 AM »
A good rule of thumb is that export retail price differentials should never exceed 20% over the equivalent domestic retail price, i.e., $1200 retail overseas, $1000 retail at home.

Agree, and current D.S.I prices in Japan like for example over four grands or even over five grands in US$ for a prophet-12 is way over 20% of the street price in the States which is US$2,999, hence my wish for KORG to handle the distribution, as they handle Clavia, Arturia, moog, access Viruses etc.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2016, 09:24:01 AM »
I noticed that DSI has finally removed the retired instruments/modules from their website.  A sad loss.

« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2016, 10:19:42 AM »

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2016, 11:08:50 AM »
Thought so.... when they said "something smaller", and they have desertet the small module market, this was the only thing that really could happen.... Fine... I can save my money forthe big reveal late 2016 instead then :)
If you need me, follow the shadows...

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2016, 06:17:45 PM »
I'll get interested in DSI modular when they start producing oscillators.  Now that will get my attention.

« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2016, 06:22:12 PM »
A good rule of thumb is that export retail price differentials should never exceed 20% over the equivalent domestic retail price, i.e., $1200 retail overseas, $1000 retail at home.

Agree, and current D.S.I prices in Japan like for example over four grands or even over five grands in US$ for a prophet-12 is way over 20% of the street price in the States which is US$2,999, hence my wish for KORG to handle the distribution, as they handle Clavia, Arturia, moog, access Viruses etc.

Maybe Pioneer DJ would end up being a good option?
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000