What pedals do you all use?

jg666

What pedals do you all use?
« on: August 17, 2018, 09:09:36 AM »
As of yet, I don't have any pedals for my Rev2 and Pro2. I have a sustain pedal on my Yamaha but I don't think that will work on other synths, but I do need to buy a couple of pedals anyway.

I'm looking at a sustain pedal and an effects pedal, it would be interesting to see what you people use and what you'd recommend :)
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

Re: What pedals do you all use?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 10:44:38 AM »
You can configure DSI synths for the use of any sustain pedal via the sustain polarity settings in the global menu.

I personally use a Roland DP-10 sustain pedal because it has that extensible non-slip rubber plate. For expression pedal or CV control purposes I use the Moog EP-3.

shiihs

• phasing in and out of reality
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 10:49:09 AM »
I have a M-Audio SP-2 sustain pedal: relatively cheap and it does what I expect it to do.
I was recently contemplating getting an EP-3 expression pedal.

--
gear: prophet rev2 16 voice, kawai NV10, casio wk-7600, Roland Integra-7, supercollider, ardour

links:

https://www.youtube.com/stefaanhimpe
https://soundcloud.com/stefaanhimpe
https://technogems.blogspot.com
https://a-touch-of-music.blogspot.com/

Gomjab

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 11:04:45 AM »
As of yet, I don't have any pedals for my Rev2 and Pro2. I have a sustain pedal on my Yamaha but I don't think that will work on other synths, but I do need to buy a couple of pedals anyway.

I'm looking at a sustain pedal and an effects pedal, it would be interesting to see what you people use and what you'd recommend :)

I now use one of Lyle May’s old Frankenstein pedals!   8) :P
Found a bizzare pedal on reverb from a store in Burbank, CA that sells old gear for artists who don’t have the time or desire to sell it themselves.  They had a small truck load of stuff from Pat Metheny Group’s keyboardist.

After replacing a bad TRS plug and adding a stereo to two mono adapter it works great with my Rev2 and Sub37. I broke out the two pedals on the unit to two different synthesizers.

Before that I used an old Roland sustain pedal. 

I was disappointed that having Lyle’s pedal didn’t improve my keyboard chops!   ;)

« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 11:12:53 AM by Gomjab »

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 11:08:15 PM »
I have never ever had an effect pedal. But last week I bought the Boss RV-500. It is a beaut!!
I was also considering the Big Sky but they can pretty much do the same.

I do have a sustain pedal too :-)

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2018, 12:37:02 AM »
Novation NSP1 for sustain
Moog MP-201 for CV and MIDI

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2019, 01:34:31 AM »
Diamond Halo Chorus is beautiful on the REV 2! I also use a Strymon Deco for some awesome tape flange and chorus sounds, a Strymon El Capistan for tape delay and a Meris Mercury 7 for reverb, These are just heaven and suit the Rev 2 big time. Greetings from Australia

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2019, 08:06:19 AM »
I've got loads of guitar pedals and have always liked the Strymon stuff on guitar well enough, but I think they really kill on the rev2. The super-clean, precise, nature of their sound (that some knock on guitar) seems to suit the rev2 really nicely. I've got a Timeline, a BigSky, and a BlueSky (that got booted off my board when I got the BigSky) and all sound great to my ear. The BlueSky lives with my rev2 now and actually fits nicely on top of it on the right side of the board, kind of like it was meant to be there.

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2019, 06:58:59 AM »
I have a M-Audio SP-2 sustain pedal: relatively cheap and it does what I expect it to do.
I was recently contemplating getting an EP-3 expression pedal.
I previously only had a cheap little sustain pedal that came with some old gear, so I decided to pick up the SP-2.  Definitely worth the $20. It even squeaks less than the sustain on my piano.

I also ordered the M-Audio EP-1 expression pedal. Amazon goofed and sent me the (costlier) Hammond EXP-20 instead, which I think I will keep.  Maybe not as sturdy as the EP-3 appears to be, but still good enough.  First thing I did was link it to the cutoff on a resonant HPF effect to use it like a guitar wah-wah pedal.

allandbyallo

• IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE!
    • Music stuff
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2019, 08:02:43 AM »
Digitech Polara and Strymon El Capistan. Basically I would recommend everybody just drop everything and go run and buy both. They're both amazing and rich, warm, natural, stereo. El Cap has a secondary spring reverb that's proper nice and drippy. I can't believe the Polara is only €100. All Lexicon verbs, and while the 'Reverse' setting is kinda shit, the 'Halo' is by far the best shimmer I've ever heard from a pedal. Again, hard to believe this thing is 100. Two of my favorite bits of kit i own.

MPM

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2019, 09:38:24 PM »
Strymon. Too many to list, but a new favourite is Volante for Delay plus Reverb and tape saturation overdrive And looping (free baking sequencer!).
OB-6  Prophet-6  Prophet.Rev2/16  no kids

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2019, 03:27:42 AM »
Boss RV-500.

I use it for both REV2 and Sub Phatty when I just play/fiddle without recording (which I do most).

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2019, 07:19:55 AM »
I only use an expression pedal. This brings me to question I wanted to post here: I play my Rev2 and another keyboad in a live setting. My right foot controls the sustain of the other keyboard (and occasionally the sustain of the Rev2). My left foot controls 2 Yamaha FC7 expression pedals, which is actually unfortunate, because often, I want to dynamically change the volume or expression of both keyboard simultaneously or in the opposite direction.

Now, I have been crafting a number of cardboard prototypes of a two-way pedal with the volume of one keyboard in one (say, Y-) direction and the the volume of the other keyboard in the other (say, X-) direction. This design allows me to do exactly what I need. I searched a lot on the web, but such a thing does not exist. (there is one where you have a normal pedal with a little turn-table on top to give you a second axis; less ergonomic in my opinion).

So, my question is: I have been planning to invest some money in having a technician create a working proto-type. If some of you indicate that they are interested in spending, say, 250 dollars on such a pedal (given that it works well), I would be more tempted to finally push this idea through and invest a bit. (I don't aim to do this commercially, but making ten of these units will certainly be more efficient then only one).

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2019, 12:02:46 PM »
Boss RV-500.

I use it for both REV2 and Sub Phatty when I just play/fiddle without recording (which I do most).

For in Cubase I use a few valhalla effects (mod, vintage and plate). They are , to my taste better than my RV-500. And also more fun. I'm thinking about just getting rid of the rv-500.

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2023, 04:19:44 PM »
You can configure DSI synths for the use of any sustain pedal via the sustain polarity settings in the global menu.

I personally use a Roland DP-10 sustain pedal

Actually the Roland DP-10 doesn't seem to work with my PXL. I have tried the two polarity options on the synth in combination with the two switch positions (continuous / switch) on the pedal. Either it doesn't work, or releasing the pedal cuts the sound completely and the synth goes mute.

Did you make any modifications to your pedal, or is the PX special in this regard?

chysn

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2023, 02:51:09 AM »
I bought a Yamaha FC4 sustain pedal in 1990 and use it to this day.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2023, 08:05:18 AM »
I only use an expression pedal. This brings me to question I wanted to post here: I play my Rev2 and another keyboad in a live setting. My right foot controls the sustain of the other keyboard (and occasionally the sustain of the Rev2). My left foot controls 2 Yamaha FC7 expression pedals, which is actually unfortunate, because often, I want to dynamically change the volume or expression of both keyboard simultaneously or in the opposite direction.

Now, I have been crafting a number of cardboard prototypes of a two-way pedal with the volume of one keyboard in one (say, Y-) direction and the the volume of the other keyboard in the other (say, X-) direction. This design allows me to do exactly what I need. I searched a lot on the web, but such a thing does not exist. (there is one where you have a normal pedal with a little turn-table on top to give you a second axis; less ergonomic in my opinion).

So, my question is: I have been planning to invest some money in having a technician create a working proto-type. If some of you indicate that they are interested in spending, say, 250 dollars on such a pedal (given that it works well), I would be more tempted to finally push this idea through and invest a bit. (I don't aim to do this commercially, but making ten of these units will certainly be more efficient then only one).

I thought the fc7's were able to be mechanically hooked together to move same direction simultaneously.  Then you change each action in synth software?