The REV2 is a deep and VERY capable synth

jg666

Re: The REV2 is a deep and VERY capable synth
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2018, 12:56:34 AM »
I have to agree with all of the above, this is great stuff and the sort of music I like to try and perform myself (but nowhere near as good as you!)
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2018, 01:26:33 AM »
Thanks for all the compliments...

In fact I've been thinking a lot about making them available as a purchase instead of just giving them away for free. The reason is that I've spend a lot more time on these sounds than i first thought I would (and I'm still refining those that I've already made). When these are done, I'll have spend close to 6 months creating these sounds.

Another reason is, that when you just make soundbanks free, many people just simply download them, and never care to say thank you or anything, and as a musician/sound designer, getting no feedback serves no purpose really. Everyone would want recognition for what they do, and if not by words, then at least paying for them is a kind of feedback (you rarely buy if you do not like).

So stay tuned... I'll write a separate thread when the sounds are done, with details of purchasing the sounds... it will probably not be until the end of the year unfortunately, as I'm only almost half done with the presets... I want these to be outstanding, as I'm a cursed perfectionist... that's just how it is :)

But I'll keep on posting demo's of the sounds as i go along... sharing the knowledge about creating them as i go along... I'm a firm believer in sharing knowledge, so i see no reason to hide my tricks.
If you need me, follow the shadows...

eXode

« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2018, 01:31:59 AM »
I find it a shame that DSI did not include the filter feedback from the Mopho and Tetra into the REV2... that would have allowed for a lot more analog distorted timbres on a per voice basis. But I guess this is Dave's philosophy... every synth has to have something that makes it unique, so that people want them all ...

Regarding bass sounds and the REV2 (or Curtis chip in general), then most of the sounds that end up sounding fat and deep are those where you use unison... unfortunately using unison also makes the sound smeared... this can be cool if that's what you're after, but if you want a single oscillator bass sound, that is strong and punchy in the lowend, then the REV2 simply won't do really... I managed to make a few that comes close, but it's just not the same as sitting in front of a Sub37 for example... you need an analog synth with much stronger basic oscillator sounds, and a filter that can seriously drive up that low-end... also, the REV2 does not have any means of driving the input to the filter into distortion... that's another reason...

If bass sounds is critical to anyones music, I'd certainly find another analog monosynth to complement the REV2... like you are doing.

If DSI would have included the feedback from Mopho/Tetra that would have helped a lot for bass, imho. In the meantime I've found that the distortion effect can help by using moderate gain and tweaking the tone, but it's not quite the same as the feedback, and you sacrifice your effect slot, obviously.

Another thing I've noticed is that the sub octave on the REV2 seems a little softer/lower in volume compared to the Tetra (at least from memory).

Finally, great sounds! :)

« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2018, 03:29:45 AM »

In fact I've been thinking a lot about making them available as a purchase instead of just giving them away for free. The reason is that I've spend a lot more time on these sounds than i first thought I would (and I'm still refining those that I've already made). When these are done, I'll have spend close to 6 months creating these sounds.

Another reason is, that when you just make soundbanks free, many people just simply download them, and never care to say thank you or anything, and as a musician/sound designer, getting no feedback serves no purpose really. Everyone would want recognition for what they do, and if not by words, then at least paying for them is a kind of feedback (you rarely buy if you do not like).

So stay tuned... I'll write a separate thread when the sounds are done, with details of purchasing the sounds... it will probably not be until the end of the year unfortunately, as I'm only almost half done with the presets... I want these to be outstanding, as I'm a cursed perfectionist... that's just how it is :)

But I'll keep on posting demo's of the sounds as i go along... sharing the knowledge about creating them as i go along... I'm a firm believer in sharing knowledge, so i see no reason to hide my tricks.

I would be happy to pay for your patches. But I'm happier with you explanations an tricks you mentioned here and there.
But, I refuse to pay for packs like "famous 80's patches", "Best of Rush" or "All Van Halen". I have no idea why people buy a REV2 to just play Subdivision. Of course, I like those songs as well. But just using those patches just doesn't do the REV2 any justice; it is so much more. And you show that.

Ron

« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2018, 03:31:13 AM »

I would be happy to pay for your patches. But I'm happier with you explanations an tricks you mentioned here and there.
But, I refuse to pay for packs like "famous 80's patches", "Best of Rush" or "All Van Halen". I have no idea why people buy a REV2 to just play Subdivision. Of course, I like those songs as well. But just using those patches just doesn't do the REV2 any justice; it is so much more. And you show that.

Ron
I have to agree with you!
IMac Mid 2013, Cubase 9Pro, Prophet Rev 2 8voice

« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2018, 05:10:08 AM »
But I'm happier with you explanations an tricks you mentioned here and there.

+1
DSI Prophet Rev2

maxter

« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2018, 07:17:14 AM »
Great Razmo, looking forward to buy a patch pack later on then! I'm also a firm believer in not profiting from knowledge. My biggest hero never sold his teachings, but gave freely, to everyone's benefit. However, man deserves a salary from doing work. I really like the patches you've demonstrated on here, and have no doubt that I will learn a lot from studying them.

I usually don't buy sound packs either, but I've actually bought the "Prophet Classics" from AnalogAudio1, mostly because I'm not used to programming "typical" Prophet sounds, so I thought it could be interesting to see how some of these sounds are programmed. Probably won't use them much though, but one may get some new ideas, inspiration or approach this way.
The Way the Truth and the Life

« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2018, 05:55:08 PM »
http://razmo.ziphoid.com/BankSounds.mp3

The 44 minutes long demo above holds all the 44 presets I've been doing over the last two months.
I'm posting it here to showcase that the REV2 is not just a simple "Brass synth", which I have read on occation on some fecebook synthesizer groups... I find it hard to find good demos of synths that showcase Ambient/Fantasy/Pads presets, so I thought I'd post this in response to that observation.

It's just live playing (so don't expect anything serious, it's only meant to showcase the sounds)... everything is played thru a Valhalla - Übermod plugin for that extra Ambient feeling, but other than that, just REV2. Everyone uses external FX anyway with most synths.

WOW the chimes at 14:00!! Didn't know that was even possible.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2018, 03:59:14 AM »
I've had a little break from the programs lately, but are now on it again...

This time I've created a harp like sound that I call "Harp of Time"... demo below :)

http://razmo.ziphoid.com/HarpOfTime.mp3

It's 100% REV2... no external FX used...

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2018, 07:25:39 AM »
http://razmo.ziphoid.com/Harps.mp3

Made a few changes to the harp like sound, and also made another program based on it that is more bright... this time there is a bit of reverb on the sound as well from external sources.

shiihs

• phasing in and out of reality
« Reply #50 on: September 12, 2018, 02:01:09 PM »
I've had a little break from the programs lately, but are now on it again...

This time I've created a harp like sound that I call "Harp of Time"... demo below :)

http://razmo.ziphoid.com/HarpOfTime.mp3

It's 100% REV2... no external FX used...

Quite an impressive result!
--
gear: prophet rev2 16 voice, kawai NV10, casio wk-7600, Roland Integra-7, supercollider, ardour

links:

https://www.youtube.com/stefaanhimpe
https://soundcloud.com/stefaanhimpe
https://technogems.blogspot.com
https://a-touch-of-music.blogspot.com/

Gomjab

« Reply #51 on: September 12, 2018, 06:46:33 PM »

Made a few changes to the harp like sound, and also made another program based on it that is more bright... this time there is a bit of reverb on the sound as well from external sources.

Today if I were to want a harp sound I have several giaganic multisampled harp instruments for Kontakt.  Hell I even have a pretty remarkable physical modeled harp from the folks that make Pianoteq.  The Rev2 would not be my first, second, or third choice.

However with all that said it is a testament  to Razmo’s sound design chops that he made such a damn convincing and totally useful harp sound.

I really do enjoy listening to your creations!  It is inspiring!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 06:51:02 PM by Gomjab »

« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2018, 07:24:24 AM »
That’s fantastic, Razmo. Good work.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2018, 09:44:17 AM »

Today if I were to want a harp sound I have several giaganic multisampled harp instruments for Kontakt.  Hell I even have a pretty remarkable physical modeled harp from the folks that make Pianoteq.  The Rev2 would not be my first, second, or third choice.

However with all that said it is a testament  to Razmo’s sound design chops that he made such a damn convincing and totally useful harp sound.

I really do enjoy listening to your creations!  It is inspiring!

I can follow that choice of a sampled harp for sure... I'd have gone for a sampled one myself if my aim was to replicate an acoustic harp... if I had a Prophet X 'd be all over creating such a sound to be honest, and as faithful as possible... but I do not have an X ... yet ;)

I actually do not have any other sound source than the REV2, so I simply tried making one that resembles a harp as much as possible, but with a twist... actually I'm not aiming to create sounds that are complete acoustic rip-offs, i just want a bit of the same organic feel to them, and as this is a Fantasy/Ambient bank in production, I'm actually aiming for a bit "extra" than just the normal acoustic versions... this sound in particular have some strange and weird echo'es that make it sound a bit "ethereal"... also I can clearly hear it's shortcomings, if it was to sound like a real harp... in fact, I see this "harp'ish" sound more like a completely unique instrument, as if it was a never before seen instrument in a fantasy world :)

The advantage of creating this with a synthesizer instead of a sample player though is, that I get a whole lot more performance modulation into it, and more than what you'd be able to with even a sampled harp, unless it was seriously multisampled (and still it would not be able to sound like one synthesized really)... this sound is very velocity sensitive, and has other modulations going for live playing on both foot pedal and modwheel... modulations you'd also never have on a real harp. I consider these harps "Magical Harps", which is also why I call these two sounds "Harp of Time" and "Celestial Harp" :)

I actually have a real acoustic harp here in my apartment, I love the sound and look of the harp, it's one of the most moody sounds I know of in the acoustic realm besides the Celeste (think Harry Potter theme).

What I look for in my bank in general are sounds that are both good for Ambient/Fantasy music, but I like for the sounds to have an organic feel and be VERY playable performance wise too... I want these sounds to be unique... otherwise i could as well have gone for a sample library version :)

« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2018, 10:48:33 PM »
The mod matrix &  the ambient/organic sounds you came up with are exactly why I bought the Rev2, which, sadly, has been lately neglected.  I have, through your work, regained the original muse and look forward to adding your sounds to my Rev2 as impetus.  Well done on yet another level and please add me to the list of interested buyers.    One day maybe we'll have a schnapps together.  Prost!
Beauty Originality Simplicity Sincerity Discrimination

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2018, 10:29:08 AM »
Working on two new sounds... "Ritual Ensemble" and "Marionette"...

All REV2, except for a tiny bit of eternal reverb added :)

http://razmo.ziphoid.com/TwoNewSounds.mp3

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2018, 02:17:29 PM »
Changed the program "Ritual Ensemble" a bit: http://razmo.ziphoid.com/RitualEnsemble.mp3

Trying to do a few dark sounds at the moment as most of my sounds thus far has been more in the "faerytale" department until now, and I want sounds to work with Dark Ambient as well... in this case I'm trying to get some decent choral textures out of the REV2, but it's not an easy task.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2018, 09:21:27 AM »
A few new programs for the REV2... not quite finished yet, but it's closing in...

http://razmo.ziphoid.com/HellsBells.mp3

http://razmo.ziphoid.com/GlassGolem.mp3

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #58 on: September 19, 2018, 11:31:04 AM »
Tried two programs together for a "dark fit" :) ... I want programs for Dark Ambient and thee two fit well together.

http://razmo.ziphoid.com/DarkPlace.mp3

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #59 on: September 21, 2018, 02:38:32 AM »
http://razmo.ziphoid.com/EnchantedGlass

A new program I'm working on... wanted something that sounded a bit like when you rub a glass... think it went allright.

I'm still amazed all the time when I realize how many different sound textures the REV2 is capable of shaking out it's sleeve... the demo has a tiny bit af external reverb on it though. There are a bit of voice stealing going on in the demo above as I'm using both layers for this sound, and with it's extremely long release time, 8 voices is a bit on the low side, so have to be careful how you play this sound :)