The REV2 is a deep and VERY capable synth

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
The REV2 is a deep and VERY capable synth
« on: August 15, 2018, 07:32:00 AM »
http://razmo.ziphoid.com/BankSounds.mp3

The 44 minutes long demo above holds all the 44 presets I've been doing over the last two months.
I'm posting it here to showcase that the REV2 is not just a simple "Brass synth", which I have read on occation on some fecebook synthesizer groups... I find it hard to find good demos of synths that showcase Ambient/Fantasy/Pads presets, so I thought I'd post this in response to that observation.

It's just live playing (so don't expect anything serious, it's only meant to showcase the sounds)... everything is played thru a Valhalla - Übermod plugin for that extra Ambient feeling, but other than that, just REV2. Everyone uses external FX anyway with most synths.
If you need me, follow the shadows...

jg666

Re: The REV2 is a deep and VERY capable synth
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 08:37:20 AM »

The 44 minutes long demo above holds all the 44 presets I've been doing over the last two months.
I'm posting it here to showcase that the REV2 is not just a simple "Brass synth", which I have read on occation on some fecebook synthesizer groups... I find it hard to find good demos of synths that showcase Ambient/Fantasy/Pads presets, so I thought I'd post this in response to that observation.

It's just live playing (so don't expect anything serious, it's only meant to showcase the sounds)... everything is played thru a Valhalla - Übermod plugin for that extra Ambient feeling, but other than that, just REV2. Everyone uses external FX anyway with most synths.

Great stuff :) Have you thought about selling your patches ?
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 10:20:32 AM »
Thank you Razmo. I will have a listen later.
IMac Mid 2013, Cubase 9Pro, Prophet Rev 2 8voice

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 11:02:47 AM »
Very beautiful stuff man. Well done. I honestly don’t understand how anyone could spend anything remotely resembling a reasonable amount of time with a Rev 2 and then dismiss it like that. It is so incredibly flexible. I don’t think I’ve even made a brass patch with the thing  :)

Also. Not sure if fecebook was an unintentional typo haha. It sums up the entire entity pretty well though.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 11:11:54 AM »

Great stuff :) Have you thought about selling your patches ?

Yes... i actually have... but I decided when I started, that the first bank would be free, simply to see the reaktion first... but it will probably be more like free for personal use, and pay if it will be used commercially... time will tell :) ... i still have 84 more programs to do first :D ... I'm extremely perfectionistic by nature, so I'm revisiting the programs several times... so it takes some time for these to be finished.

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2018, 01:46:20 PM »
I really loved the demo track! I would also be interested in purchasing these sounds.

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2018, 03:01:41 PM »
Good job, really nice sounds. I guess you used the mod matrix a lot?
Nice gesture sharing this bank for free. I hope it will be ready before Christmas :)

The only weak side I have found on Rev2 is the bass sounds (as on many poly synthesizers) but that is not a problem anymore after purchasing a Toraiz AS-1. They really complement each other and are both really great instruments.

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2018, 04:35:52 PM »
Some great pads in there!   Lots of interesting depth and motion.  I too would be interested in a bank (or partial bank) like this. 

OB-X8, Pro 3, P6, Rev2, Take 5, 3rd Wave, Deepmind, PolyBrute, Sub 37
Sound Sets:
https://sounddesign.sellfy.store/
Free Patches:
https://www.PresetPatch.com/user/CreativeSpiral

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2018, 04:42:26 PM »
Preach it!

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2018, 09:08:25 PM »
You have created some excellent patches. Very organic, beautiful and atmospheric.
IMac Mid 2013, Cubase 9Pro, Prophet Rev 2 8voice

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2018, 01:14:10 AM »
Thanks for the compliments... :)

Yes... I almost use up all ModMatrix slots on most programs... modulation is the key to complex and evolving sounds, especially when you are dealing with an analog synth that only has the most basic waveforms. One would probably think that with the new Shape parameter, that more sounds are possible from the oscillators, but I rarely use them to be honest, as i find that they all sound more or less like PWM... it's not like if you chose from a wavetable.

The key to these programs are MODULATION... it's that simple... for them to constantly evolve or change you need to work the physical controllers a lot... I usually let the ModWheel change a parameter that needs a static setting, as this control is not really usable as a live control unless the sound is monophonic (you'd need one hand on the ModWheel to use it)... Foot Pedal and Aftertouch is used for changing parameters in polyphonic sounds that need change while you are playing with both hands (pads usually)... Aftertouch is usually Vibrato since I cannot find another use for it as aftertouch is harder to fine control... Pitch Wheel is usually just pitch shifting as per standard, or in rare cases a modulation source for live pan positioning.

But all the magic is from modulating stuff while you play... changing speeds, rates, cutoffs, Mix/FX parameters etc... this is what makes up for the limits in the analog oscillators.

What do i miss on the REV2? ... not much really... I'd wish that the HiPass filter had been a per voice analog version, instead of a global FX... Also I'd have liked for the RingMod FX to be a per voice FX... and I'd also had liked if DSI had decided to include the filter feedback parameter like it was on the TETRA... and even if it's not possible because of the Curtis chip; that both oscillators had it's own separate volume parameter... a more hi quality, and denser/longer reverb would not have been bad either.

Most of the things I miss I will deal with, simply by adding a Prophet 12 at some point, and the lack of recorded samples I'll fix by getting a Prophet X at some point.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 01:16:40 AM by Razmo »

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2018, 01:54:13 AM »

Hard to think it could be from a rev2 on a bind test ! Custom banks are usualy so focused on '' flashy sounds''......Brass sounds like !   

An ambient / chill out pack is welcome.
Not native english speaker.

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2018, 03:36:45 AM »
I do really like the REV2. I was not impressed in the beginning but now that I'm exploring all capabilities more (also because of your tips) I'm getting more and more impressed.

I hardly save a preset so everything is something new to me :-)

On effects: I do run the REV2 and the Sub Phatty through a Boss RV-500. Amazing!!!

When I play with the sub phatty for a while I do find the REV2 a bit thin but that is a luxury problem!!!

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2018, 03:39:33 AM »

Hard to think it could be from a rev2 on a bind test ! Custom banks are usualy so focused on '' flashy sounds''......Brass sounds like !   

An ambient / chill out pack is welcome.

This is actually what I find most hard these days... finding these types of programs... that's why i have to do them myself... everything is more dance-minded when it comes to factory programs, no matter what synthesizer...

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2018, 03:44:16 AM »
The demo is amazing. I wonder how you got some sounds. I would almost ask for the patches but I'll first challenge myself.

The pad at about 5:20 is probably a stacks of 2 patched slightly detuned. And some chorus. Amazing pad!!

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2018, 03:44:53 AM »
I do really like the REV2. I was not impressed in the beginning but now that I'm exploring all capabilities more (also because of your tips) I'm getting more and more impressed.

On effects: I do run the REV2 and the Sub Phatty through a Boss RV-500. Amazing!!!

When I play with the sub phatty for a while I do find the REV2 a bit thin but that is a luxury problem!!!

Yes... under normal circumstances, the Curtis chips sound "thin"... or rather just neutral more or less... people like the MOOG bass a lot, which is understandable, but the REV2 can make just as much bass as any other synth, you just have to work for it, and use some not so obvious tricks to get them... i think the reason for MOOGs to be so popular is because the way the oscillators and filter are made, it emphasize the bottom end much more than a neutral analog synth... this means that making cool bass sounds is probably easier and more intuitive... it just sounds bassy and cool when you do the basic programming stuff... but try to mix several sounds from a MOOG synth and you would probably run into a problem with a crowded low-end because all sounds have a very present bottom end and low mids... I'd take a MOOG any day for doing bass stuff... but I'd use other more neutral synths for other sounds... maybe a MOOG lead sound would be nice too, but as MOOGs are mostly monophonic, that is about what they can do best anyway :)

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2018, 03:52:27 AM »
The demo is amazing. I wonder how you got some sounds. I would almost ask for the patches but I'll first challenge myself.

The pad at about 5:20 is probably a stacks of 2 patched slightly detuned. And some chorus. Amazing pad!!

The sound at 5:20 is actually a bellsound... but yes, it's a stacked program... one doing the bell sound, the other is a metallised version of layer A, put thru a reverb 100% wet... gives it a rather D50'ish type of sound actually... The interresting sounds often come when using both layers in clever ways... I try to create most of the pad sounds on a single layer though... simply to give 16voice polyphony, especially on sounds with long release times to avoid voice stealing... I think that of all the pad sounds in the demo one or two are in stacked mode... the rest use only one layer.

Patches will be out for free when I'm finished with them, which will probably be sometime around December :) ... free for personal use, but paid if to be used commercially.

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2018, 03:57:26 AM »

These are great sounds, so many good ones. Great job!

My favourites are:

6.26 Bell-ish sounds.

10.06 that nasty bass is amazing and I’d totally buy the pack just for that if I owned a Rev 2.

16.35 The rain/water in cave sounds

27.02 Eerie pad

35.58 bass arp

36.18 (is this the same as above but modulated or is it a distinct patch?)

40.19 convincing Irish whistle

By the way, was it you who did the 4 elements sounds. I was trying to listen to the fire one again to show my daughter and it wouldn’t load. If it was yours, could you please reupload a working link. Thanks.

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2018, 04:01:54 AM »

Yes... under normal circumstances, the Curtis chips sound "thin"... or rather just neutral more or less... people like the MOOG bass a lot, which is understandable, but the REV2 can make just as much bass as any other synth, you just have to work for it, and use some not so obvious tricks to get them... i think the reason for MOOGs to be so popular is because the way the oscillators and filter are made, it emphasize the bottom end much more than a neutral analog synth... this means that making cool bass sounds is probably easier and more intuitive... it just sounds bassy and cool when you do the basic programming stuff... but try to mix several sounds from a MOOG synth and you would probably run into a problem with a crowded low-end because all sounds have a very present bottom end and low mids... I'd take a MOOG any day for doing bass stuff... but I'd use other more neutral synths for other sounds... maybe a MOOG lead sound would be nice too, but as MOOGs are mostly monophonic, that is about what they can do best anyway :)

Yes, Moogs have a lot of low-end but not necessary. I bought the Sub for bass but I use it also for sequencing (Berlin style), leads and just melodies. The oscillators alone already sound beautiful. And PWM (or just WM because you go through all the wave forms) is just amazingly rich. It looks like a simple monophonic synth but it as such an versatile beast.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2018, 04:07:41 AM »

These are great sounds, so many good ones. Great job!

My favourites are:

6.26 Bell-ish sounds.

10.06 that nasty bass is amazing and I’d totally buy the pack just for that if I owned a Rev 2.

16.35 The rain/water in cave sounds

27.02 Eerie pad

35.58 bass arp

36.18 (is this the same as above but modulated or is it a distinct patch?)

40.19 convincing Irish whistle

By the way, was it you who did the 4 elements sounds. I was trying to listen to the fire one again to show my daughter and it wouldn’t load. If it was yours, could you please reupload a working link. Thanks.

The sound at 36.18 is not a modified version... in fact i start all programs from scratch in 99% of the time.

and yes... it was I who did that fire-sound as well... but I'm not fully satisfied with it yet, so I am to go back and re-edit it at some time... I'll upload all the demo's again so that they'll work again...

EDIT: old links to demo's in my blog should be up again now...

« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 04:09:19 AM by Razmo »