The REV2 is a deep and VERY capable synth

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
Re: The REV2 is a deep and VERY capable synth
« Reply #80 on: September 25, 2018, 04:52:28 AM »
http://razmo.ziphoid.com/ThereminTardis.mp3

This one is a sound where I went for something specific from the start... the sound of a Theremin-like instrument. I'm still trying to make use of the realtime controllers so that most of the controls from a real theremin could be achieved with the realtime controllers... you really need a sense of human feel to get this sound right.

Currently the vibrato is introduced via Aftertouch which is one of the only real uses I've found for using Aftertouch... small amounts of modulation to the LFO's amount and frequency setting has also been done via the other LFOs to emulate a non stable vibrato as it's impossible to not have flaws in this when performing on the real instrument.

The portamento effect is also a huge part of this instrument... unfortunately it's close to impossible to simulate this right without simply assigning the modwheel to pitch... but hitting the right notes with the ModWheel is a nightmare (like it probably is with the real instrument too)...

A not-so-well played Theremin really sounds like shit, and to require the player to learn to hit the notes via ModWheel would be overkill, so I decided that the keys must be used, and that the Glide effect had to do the portamento instead. You have to play it legato... when not playing legato it bends the pitch "into tuning" and bend it out again when a key is released... this is to try and simulate when you close in or remove your hands from the antennas...

The volume antenna is straight forward... simply routed the pedal to volume... that way your hands are also free to play more complex melody lines.

in general, the theremin is rather simple... it's just a pitch and volume control, the problem is that the way it's being performed on, is a bit hard to replicate with keys and standard keyboard controls... on the other hands, it's a lot easier to play with keys and controllers :D
If you need me, follow the shadows...

Gomjab

« Reply #81 on: September 25, 2018, 12:25:35 PM »
Do you know how to make a trumpet sound like a French Horn?  Stick your hand in the bell and miss a lot of notes!  [old joke from my high school band days]

Theremin is similar.  Like a French horn where you need much better embouchure control to hit the right note the theremin takes crazy skills to hit the notes in tune so unless you are a ninja you probably will be gliding into pitch.  I bought a Moog Theremin a couple of years ago and was quickly humbled.  Watching someone like Carolina Eyck https://youtu.be/MJACNHHuGp0
it all just seems so simple.  Maybe I should just stick to your patch when it’s done!   ;)

« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 12:27:15 PM by Gomjab »

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #82 on: September 26, 2018, 10:47:36 AM »
tried using the Arpeggiator for something interesting, and this is the result:

http://razmo.ziphoid.com/Microbes.mp3

It's not finished yet... I'm using the A and B layers here with both using the arp... but the sound in layer B is different to layer A... it runs at twice the speed of layer A, but instead it is repeating notes twice... this means that both layers play the same, but layer B is ratcheting the same... there are many interesting stacked arp possibilities if you think about it for a while :)

Gomjab

« Reply #83 on: September 26, 2018, 07:24:32 PM »
Shades of Stranger Things.  Sounds great.

aeonn

« Reply #84 on: September 30, 2018, 04:03:28 PM »
Man ! I don’t bother login in to the forum very often, but your amazing demo made me do it.
You did a wonderful job crafting those presets, and I like that it ventures in sound territories we don’t usually hear.
It’s truly inspiring and I am definitely going to try working on those beautiful harp sounds. Like other people said, you couldn’t legitimately sell your patch bank and I am sure it’s going to get noticed and loved by many.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #85 on: October 01, 2018, 06:25:45 AM »
Here is another one I'm working on... still have some problems with the retriggering of the envelopes to fix, but I feel I got the right timbre now... a bit of external reverb added.

http://razmo.ziphoid.com/HighMountain.mp3

« Reply #86 on: October 01, 2018, 07:24:33 AM »
Amazing work Razmo.
You got another futur buyer here.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #87 on: October 01, 2018, 08:05:25 AM »
http://razmo.ziphoid.com/GOHIF.mp3

another small demo of two new presets: Ice Faerie & Gates of Heaven

a bit of external reverb as always :)

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #88 on: October 01, 2018, 08:06:21 AM »
...and thank you for all the nice compliments :) ... I hope you'll all like the sounds when they're out.

aeonn

« Reply #89 on: October 01, 2018, 06:01:14 PM »
you couldn’t legitimately sell your patch bank and I am sure it’s going to get noticed and loved by many.

That was an unfortunate typo, I obviously meant that you COULD legitimately sell your patch bank ;)
Anyway, I am amazed by how you come up with such cristal sounding patch. It really brings me into another dimension.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #90 on: October 02, 2018, 02:04:57 AM »
you couldn’t legitimately sell your patch bank and I am sure it’s going to get noticed and loved by many.

That was an unfortunate typo, I obviously meant that you COULD legitimately sell your patch bank ;)
Anyway, I am amazed by how you come up with such cristal sounding patch. It really brings me into another dimension.

He he... I sort of figured that out of course, otherwise it would not make much sense :D ... thanks for the compliments :)

« Reply #91 on: October 04, 2018, 11:39:23 PM »
It clearly is extremely capable and versatile, and I’m only just getting started (arrived yesterday). Great patches, Razmo. Looking forward to mastering this excellent synth myself.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #92 on: October 05, 2018, 04:34:23 AM »
http://razmo.ziphoid.com/MithrilVoices.mp3

A new choir-like program for the REV2... choir sounds are some of the hardest to make convincing on an analog synth like the REV2... well... any synth for that matter, unless specifically made to deal with formants.

Thus, the choir like programs in my bank only has a "vocal character", and it usually sits best within the upper octaves... in the lower region it's more like some sort of bass tone, but there is nothing to do about it really... but hey... it's better than nothing :)

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #93 on: October 05, 2018, 04:36:36 AM »
It clearly is extremely capable and versatile, and I’m only just getting started (arrived yesterday). Great patches, Razmo. Looking forward to mastering this excellent synth myself.

Congrats with your REV2 :) ... be prepared to dive in deep, especially the Mod Matrix... what makes the REV2 do so many timbres is a combination of the mod Matrix and also stuff like using the filter in selfoscillating mode, combined with clever use of the Audio Mod parameter, and in many cases also the FX engine...

mdts

« Reply #94 on: October 05, 2018, 04:44:07 AM »

A new choir-like program for the REV2... choir sounds are some of the hardest to make convincing on an analog synth like the REV2... well... any synth for that matter, unless specifically made to deal with formants.

Thus, the choir like programs in my bank only has a "vocal character", and it usually sits best within the upper octaves... in the lower region it's more like some sort of bass tone, but there is nothing to do about it really... but hey... it's better than nothing :)

Oh I really like this one. I'm seriously thinking about selling the Rev2 trying to save money for the upcoming Moog One and dammit Razmo, your patches are making me reconsider...

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #95 on: October 05, 2018, 05:09:29 AM »

Oh I really like this one. I'm seriously thinking about selling the Rev2 trying to save money for the upcoming Moog One and dammit Razmo, your patches are making me reconsider...

Well... i can certainly understand the urge to get a ONE, if one (ha ha!) can find the money for it :) ... but personally I don't really see how much difference you'd be having in a ONE, compared to a REV2 ... especially for stuff other than Bass... my programs are mostly pads, drones, ambiences and FX, and I really do not think that the ONE would do remarkably better in this department since these sounds are not all that bass dependent... I'd say, that what means more than the raw oscillator and filters are the depth of the Mod Matrix, and the way the FX are implemented... though still, you can always put external FX on any analog synth to give it that all important delay or verb.

For me having had so many synths in the past, I've learned that it's not as important what synth you use, as long as it is reasonably deep in it's engine, and maybe even more important: it has got the sounds you need, or you'll have to create them all yourself... and believe me, this is tiresome!!! and it takes a hell of a lot of time to create the presets you need.

So even if I got tempted and had the money to buy a ONE (or any other synth for that matter), I'd still keep the REV2, simply because I've laid so much time in these presets, and if I sell it, i'd have to start all over again creating presets for the ONE.

So I'm keeping my REV2... no matter what else tickles my GAS in the future :)

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #96 on: October 09, 2018, 02:49:19 AM »
A new and strange synth sound from yesterday evening... hard to find a good name for this, so called it "Rusty the Droid" :)

I used a lot of modulation from the mod sequencers in this one, messing around with pitch and sync on the oscillator... giving this weird almost "rotational" squeaky sound... that gave me a weird picture in my head of a droid on rusty wheels or something, hence the name :D (don't know where i get these images from, don't ask me he he).

http://razmo.ziphoid.com//RustyTheDroid.mp3

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #97 on: October 09, 2018, 03:39:51 PM »
I finally reached preset number 64... one half bank is done, but since I've learned a lot during the creation of these, I believe the next 64 will be done a bit faster... I still believe that it'll be finished in december :)

Here is preset number 64, called "Syntax Error"... a typical ambient preset with some atmosphere:

http://razmo.ziphoid.com/SyntaxError.mp3

A bit of external verb added... as usual.

The machine/robotic noise of this was done with all four LFOs modulating each others rates in a loop feedback to get crazy selfmodulating on all LFOs... then each of the LFO's are modulating pitch, cutoff and other parameters... sync switched on between oscillators, and the FX chosen is Ring Modulator... don't ask me about the settings... it's one big chaotic mass of parameters tweaked until something nice came up :D

Second layer is also a bit chaotic, but is the one responsible for the pitched ambient sound...

A truly weird ambient preset for sure...

jok3r

« Reply #98 on: October 10, 2018, 04:08:35 AM »
This one sounds perfect for some SciFi movie Soundtrack ;-) I like it very much.
Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES

« Reply #99 on: October 14, 2018, 04:08:41 PM »
+ 1 Syntax Error

Love the computer blips and soaring breathy drones combined.  You're making it very difficult for me to not return my Rev2....
Moog One <> Prophet Rev2 16V <>  Andromeda <> Kronos 61 <> Nord Stage 2 HA76 <> Integra 7 <> Minilogue XD module <> Blofeld desktop <> Behringer Model D <> Minitaur <> Slim Phatty <> Matrix 1000 <> Micron <> Privia PX-5S <>  MODX7 <> TG77 <> ASM Hydrasynth <> Perform VE <> FCB1010