The REV2 is a deep and VERY capable synth

Re: The REV2 is a deep and VERY capable synth
« Reply #60 on: September 21, 2018, 08:32:19 AM »
http://razmo.ziphoid.com/EnchantedGlass

A new program I'm working on... wanted something that sounded a bit like when you rub a glass... think it went allright.

I'm still amazed all the time when I realize how many different sound textures the REV2 is capable of shaking out it's sleeve... the demo has a tiny bit af external reverb on it though. There are a bit of voice stealing going on in the demo above as I'm using both layers for this sound, and with it's extremely long release time, 8 voices is a bit on the low side, so have to be careful how you play this sound :)
Nice. Is that mostly triangles with a filter key amount reversed?

jmnes

« Reply #61 on: September 21, 2018, 11:23:54 AM »
http://razmo.ziphoid.com/BankSounds.mp3

Razmo - Thank you for this post. As a recovering Tempest owner, I’ve been on the fence about getting a Rev2 for a while. This post pushed me over the edge and I’ve had it for a little over a week.

I find most of the factory presets... not very musical.

The sounds you are getting out of it are rich and musical, like a want my instrument to be.

Count me among those who would gladly pay for the patches. Even if you never release them though, I’ve pulled some serious inspiration.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #62 on: September 21, 2018, 11:51:45 AM »
http://razmo.ziphoid.com/BankSounds.mp3

Razmo - Thank you for this post. As a recovering Tempest owner, I’ve been on the fence about getting a Rev2 for a while. This post pushed me over the edge and I’ve had it for a little over a week.

I find most of the factory presets... not very musical.

The sounds you are getting out of it are rich and musical, like a want my instrument to be.

Count me among those who would gladly pay for the patches. Even if you never release them though, I’ve pulled some serious inspiration.

It's a different type of presets I'm doing here... mostly for Ambient music which sadly is not of much interest to developers of factory presets :) ... I'm glad you like them, and yes, they WILL be released for purchase when they're done, but I'm only half way thru a full bank (I'm a perfectionist, so it takes time)... I believe that they will be ready in december, maybe january... I'll make a separate thread for it when it's done.
If you need me, follow the shadows...

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #63 on: September 21, 2018, 11:54:17 AM »

A new program I'm working on... wanted something that sounded a bit like when you rub a glass... think it went allright.

I'm still amazed all the time when I realize how many different sound textures the REV2 is capable of shaking out it's sleeve... the demo has a tiny bit af external reverb on it though. There are a bit of voice stealing going on in the demo above as I'm using both layers for this sound, and with it's extremely long release time, 8 voices is a bit on the low side, so have to be careful how you play this sound :)

It's a lot of things really... one layer takes care of the sine-like sound of the "glass" by using the filter in self oscillating mode, with an oscillator added (triangle) for movement... but also a bit of AudioMod is used, plus the RingMod FX...

Layer two is set with almost the same as layer A, but is tweaked to get an inharmonic timbre layered... this is what makes the "glass roughness" timbre :) ...

« Reply #64 on: September 21, 2018, 05:29:29 PM »

It's a lot of things really... one layer takes care of the sine-like sound of the "glass" by using the filter in self oscillating mode, with an oscillator added (triangle) for movement... but also a bit of AudioMod is used, plus the RingMod FX...

Layer two is set with almost the same as layer A, but is tweaked to get an inharmonic timbre layered... this is what makes the "glass roughness" timbre :) ...
Cool stuff!

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #65 on: September 22, 2018, 04:15:47 AM »

Cool stuff!

I'm sorry if my explanations sometimes does not reveal everything... the reason is that when i do sound design, I usually work more than 1 hour on a sound from scratch... I never go for anything specific, I simply just experiment along the way, and sometimes a particular interesting sound comes by all by itself... thus, the timbres are usually a result of multiple parameters acting together, so it's really hard to describe "how I got that glassy sound" because i actually tweak and tweak and tweak parameters again and again, and the right sound may sometimes be a matter of many parameters acting together with only miniscule adjustments completely changing the feel and timbre of the sound... that is why I cannot creaate my sounds on the interface of my synths, and why I constantly make editors for my synths... i simply NEED to have every single parameter on the screen at the same time so that i can very quickly change a parameter... in my REV2 editor, I actually have ALL parameters visible at the same time... both layers! ... this is also why SysEx implementation is crucial for me in any synth I own (and have owned).

Using this way of creating sounds actually mean that my sounds are usually "unique"... I did not get to them by planning much... in essence, many of the sounds are so complex in the way the parameters interact that I cannot boil an explanation down to a specific trick i use... I can actually not replicate any of them because I create them this way... I'd simply have to go back to them, and start analyzing them, if I wanted to explain them, and even then, it's hard.

So my best suggestion if anyone wants to know "how I did that or this", would be to study the preset in question when the bank is out... I actually have only few trick in my "sound design bag" that I use often... in fact, what i really like about sound design is to experiment, not going for a sound in a specifically planned manner... this is much more me... in many cases, if I start out trying to create something in a planned manner, I usually end up with something completely different anyway... I simply "go by ear"... :)

« Reply #66 on: September 22, 2018, 04:25:17 PM »

Cool stuff!

I'm sorry if my explanations sometimes does not reveal everything... the reason is that when i do sound design, I usually work more than 1 hour on a sound from scratch... I never go for anything specific, I simply just experiment along the way, and sometimes a particular interesting sound comes by all by itself... thus, the timbres are usually a result of multiple parameters acting together, so it's really hard to describe "how I got that glassy sound" because i actually tweak and tweak and tweak parameters again and again, and the right sound may sometimes be a matter of many parameters acting together with only miniscule adjustments completely changing the feel and timbre of the sound... that is why I cannot creaate my sounds on the interface of my synths, and why I constantly make editors for my synths... i simply NEED to have every single parameter on the screen at the same time so that i can very quickly change a parameter... in my REV2 editor, I actually have ALL parameters visible at the same time... both layers! ... this is also why SysEx implementation is crucial for me in any synth I own (and have owned).

Using this way of creating sounds actually mean that my sounds are usually "unique"... I did not get to them by planning much... in essence, many of the sounds are so complex in the way the parameters interact that I cannot boil an explanation down to a specific trick i use... I can actually not replicate any of them because I create them this way... I'd simply have to go back to them, and start analyzing them, if I wanted to explain them, and even then, it's hard.

So my best suggestion if anyone wants to know "how I did that or this", would be to study the preset in question when the bank is out... I actually have only few trick in my "sound design bag" that I use often... in fact, what i really like about sound design is to experiment, not going for a sound in a specifically planned manner... this is much more me... in many cases, if I start out trying to create something in a planned manner, I usually end up with something completely different anyway... I simply "go by ear"... :)

Totally makes sense. Sometimes I go for specific sounds in my head but sometimes I just explore like you’ve described. Of course if I’m going for a sound for a specific song sometimes I’ll nail the sound I was aiming for—then find it’s the wrong sound for the song!

« Reply #67 on: September 22, 2018, 05:09:21 PM »
Third weekend with the Rev2, I'm happy to report I dialed in a nice subby, rubbery, Taurus like bass patch!

All it took was moderate use of unison detune, light filter env and keytrack amounts, low cutoff with just enough resonance to bump up the bounce. 

Also helps to disengage the mixer channels low cut and engage the subs =)
Moog One <> Prophet Rev2 16V <>  Andromeda <> Kronos 61 <> Nord Stage 2 HA76 <> Integra 7 <> Minilogue XD module <> Blofeld desktop <> Behringer Model D <> Minitaur <> Slim Phatty <> Matrix 1000 <> Micron <> Privia PX-5S <>  MODX7 <> TG77 <> ASM Hydrasynth <> Perform VE <> FCB1010

« Reply #68 on: September 23, 2018, 01:08:34 AM »
Razmos patch demos pushed me over the fence and I bought a Rev2 16 voice three weeks ago as a birthday gift to myself.
Looking forward do buy the patch set once it is complete, great stuff!

With the Rev2 I immediately started to program my own patches, something that never happend to that extend with all my previous synths (be it either hard- or software). Programming the Rev2 ist just so intuitive and joyful despite the complexity. And a good thing this is, as most of the factory presets do not fit my musical needs. Where is a warm, lush yet unobstrusive pad that sits well in a mix?

During the last week I got a bit frustrated with the bugs in 1.1.4.18, namely the sustain pedal and particularly the LFOs acting all strangly. Gladly, the newest OS seems to offer a fix.

What disappoints me is the often discussed high „chirping“ digital noise at the end of percussive sounds (key off). It seems to originate from the envelopes. I still need to figure out a way to deal with that. This hinders me programming my own analouge drum kit, as the kicks and toms I am comming up at the moment resemble rompler sounds with a good measure of aliasing.

Other than that I am really happy and as long as these updates are comming, I am sure, the Rev2 gets even better.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #69 on: September 24, 2018, 07:11:59 AM »
Today I started to experiment with brass like sounds... made a program I called "King's Fart":

http://razmo.ziphoid.com/KingsFart.mp3

It's a strange hybrid like type of brass sound capable of sounding both acoustic and synthetic... :) ... the name may probably change as I find something better :D
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 07:20:07 AM by Razmo »

« Reply #70 on: September 24, 2018, 12:38:47 PM »
Today I started to experiment with brass like sounds... made a program I called "King's Fart":

It's a strange hybrid like type of brass sound capable of sounding both acoustic and synthetic... :) ... the name may probably change as I find something better :D

Good job. How about “The Emperor’s New Trombones”?

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #71 on: September 24, 2018, 12:56:17 PM »

Good job. How about “The Emperor’s New Trombones”?

well... i have to keep it within 17 characters :D

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #72 on: September 24, 2018, 01:44:40 PM »
Here is a funny one I just made called "Deva Sisters"... I cannot describe it, just listen :)

http://razmo.ziphoid.com//DevaSisters.mp3

dslsynth

« Reply #73 on: September 24, 2018, 02:14:27 PM »
Here is a funny one I just made called "Deva Sisters"... I cannot describe it, just listen :)

Very stylish revue type vocals! . o O (  ;D ;D ;D )
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #74 on: September 24, 2018, 02:19:51 PM »

Very stylish revue type vocals! . o O (  ;D ;D ;D )

Just added an ending to the above Deva Sisters demo... I added a strange effect to the program by changing the ModWheel making the sound get even more funny (sounding like making funny voices with blowing air thru your libs while making a sound), and suddenly I knew I had heard something like that before on the internet... a rather funny Russian singer that got famous for that sound... think most must have seen that video :)

« Reply #75 on: September 24, 2018, 02:30:12 PM »

Very impressive, great work there Razmo!  Maybe I need to get out more, but that's probably the 2nd best synthesized trombone demo I've ever heard.  ( And I'm a trombonist to boot )...
Moog One <> Prophet Rev2 16V <>  Andromeda <> Kronos 61 <> Nord Stage 2 HA76 <> Integra 7 <> Minilogue XD module <> Blofeld desktop <> Behringer Model D <> Minitaur <> Slim Phatty <> Matrix 1000 <> Micron <> Privia PX-5S <>  MODX7 <> TG77 <> ASM Hydrasynth <> Perform VE <> FCB1010

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #76 on: September 24, 2018, 02:36:31 PM »

Very impressive, great work there Razmo!  Maybe I need to get out more, but that's probably the 2nd best synthesized trombone demo I've ever heard.  ( And I'm a trombonist to boot )...

Thank you for the compliment :) ... funny really because I just did a "brass like" sound... I did not have a Trombone in my mind when I set out to do this sound, so it's simply pure coincidence if it sounds like one really :D

dslsynth

« Reply #77 on: September 24, 2018, 02:45:06 PM »
a rather funny Russian singer that got famous for that sound

So that sound is a result of r*ss**n *nf*ltr*t**n!? . o O ( :-X :-X :-X )
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

« Reply #78 on: September 24, 2018, 02:47:51 PM »
I just got home from work and am listening to the demo again.  On my smartphone in the car, the lower parts of the demo sounded very trombone-like (minus the steady vibrato).  Admittedly at home on my studio monitors, the demo does sound much more synthetic than realistic.  Still, the sound is thick and brassy, nice job.  Looking forward to the completed set.

« Reply #79 on: September 25, 2018, 02:08:27 AM »
All these sounds are really good!
Can't wait for these to be released!