OB-6 Music

Re: OB-6 Music
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2016, 08:50:54 AM »
Thanks LeVo. In addition to your soundcloud link here is a youtube video of the same sounds (note that the sounds and visuals are not in sync but neither were they intended to be as stated by synthetic things).

https://youtu.be/INVGg71aTUA

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2016, 09:15:32 AM »
Nice to hear some intelligent points of view as opposed to constant hand clapping :)

I don't think it's too off topic, tho seen as this is the "music"  thread maybe there should be an OB6 "sound" thread. I'm easy with either as long as we get hear some good stuff. :)

The darker toned soundscapey stuff is also my preference often not represented in favour of cheesy sync leads and funky basses. The p6 is capable of beautifully bleak tones with the right sweet spots but wasn't really shown off as much as the classic stuff.

I'd like to hear well programmed drones/scapes on synths to get a feel of what it can do and see less showing off up and down the scales (which is about something other than sound imo and mostly distracting) ;)

Carry on !! x

I expect you have listened to this youtube video of the OB-6 before but just in case you haven't I'll post it here. When it comes to the darker tone of the oberheim sound that we have both referred to in this thread I think you will appreciate the big, dark, evolving sound from 2:08 to 5:26 in particular......

https://youtu.be/RFndmSO7OFo
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 09:21:10 AM by Medibot4 »

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2016, 01:53:38 PM »
Nice to hear some intelligent points of view as opposed to constant hand clapping :)

I don't think it's too off topic, tho seen as this is the "music"  thread maybe there should be an OB6 "sound" thread. I'm easy with either as long as we get hear some good stuff. :)

The darker toned soundscapey stuff is also my preference often not represented in favour of cheesy sync leads and funky basses. The p6 is capable of beautifully bleak tones with the right sweet spots but wasn't really shown off as much as the classic stuff.

I'd like to hear well programmed drones/scapes on synths to get a feel of what it can do and see less showing off up and down the scales (which is about something other than sound imo and mostly distracting) ;)

Carry on !! x

I agree,   Too many percentage of demos for newly arriving synths seem focus on the outskirts of what I'd consider musical.  Some being so far out there away from musical- that they actually frighten me away from the instrument.  I understand it can show capability in some cases.   But if I was interested in buying a Ferrari, it's a car first, and so  I'd probably be most interested in a test drive on a regular road for the greatest percentage of my test drive.  Not just power slides and 180mph.
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

dsetto

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2016, 03:55:20 PM »
Here's a link to a personal OB-6 test on soundcloud. It's an exploration of the filter applied to a single oscillator, with no effects or modulation.

https://soundcloud.com/dsetto4/ob-6-bandpassing

I tried to suss out what's unique to the OB-6 from the perspective of a simple sound and playing up-tempo arpeggios with a piano-like envelope.

The soundcloud compression degrades the recording significantly. (This is especially evident on the unfiltered parts.) Don't judge the OB-6's sound quality on this. My recording sounds terrific, without artifacts.

Does anyone have a suggestion of how to post higher quality audio?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 09:24:36 AM by dsetto »

chysn

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2016, 05:50:40 PM »

I don't know what you uploaded, but it does seem to make a difference (for the better) when uploading WAV files instead of MP3s.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2016, 06:44:37 PM »
Soundcloud encodes all playback streams at 128 kbps, regardless of original file quality. The best you can do if you want higher quality audio is enable downloads and encourage listeners to download the demo in the track description; Soundcloud will provide the original file as the download.
SEQUENTIAL | OBERHEIM

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2016, 07:05:40 PM »

I don't know what you uploaded, but it does seem to make a difference (for the better) when uploading WAV files instead of MP3s.

The safest way would be not to apply any dithering to the rendered file, as this is part of the conversion anyway. Delicate frequencies are going to be affected if the file ends up as a stream at 128 kbps either way though. So yeah, the best thing you can do is to enable the download option.

dsetto

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2016, 08:58:32 AM »
Great suggestions, all. Thanks. I've offered downloads. … The original recording was at 256kbps, and it lacks the soundcloud "warbly" compression artifacts. Lowering the original recording by 6db helped; if dithering was applied automatically I'll re-upload without it.

Wonderful conversation, by the way. So much positive growth over the years. Wonderful that we have a new old wine to decipher.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 09:30:34 AM by dsetto »

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2016, 09:32:34 AM »
Whilst I've highlighted my own personal preference to hear the darker tones of the oberheim sound shine through in any music demonstrations, here are some really nice vintage/classical oberheim based sounds from the OB-6.  :)

https://www.petermmahr.com/arrival-of-the-dsi-ob-6/#more-51688
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 10:13:23 AM by Medibot4 »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2016, 07:16:10 PM »
These are the best OB-6 sounds I've heard so far.  Peter's Prophet-6 demos are excellent, also.

« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2016, 09:48:10 PM »
Thank you! I am very glad that you both like my demos. Have to get back to work [more OB-6 sounds].

Cheers,
Peter

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2016, 10:07:23 PM »
Peter, some of your demos have little fragments of music, often chord progressions, that are just superb.  They deserve to be the beginnings of pieces of music.  That's one of the reasons I so enjoy your demos - the music, as opposed to having to endure a cacophony of grating irritating noise.  Please do produce some more OB-6 and Prophet-6 recordings.  You have an eager audience.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 10:14:51 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2016, 10:42:07 PM »
Thank you! I am very glad that you both like my demos. Have to get back to work [more OB-6 sounds].

Cheers,
Peter

Hi Peter! Good to see you here. Looking forward to hearing more too. Keep up the great work!

« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2016, 10:59:15 PM »
Thanks guys!

@ Sacred Synthesis - your feedback means a lot to me. Thank you.

@ Mike - Hai ;-)

Just listened to another OB-6 demo. The one from Peff. Very good! I wish I had the space and money right away, as the OB-6 is a perfect match to the Prophet-6.

Hope to get more demos done. But first I need to program some more patches and stop playing my favorites.

Peter

« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2016, 11:06:53 PM »
Just listened to another OB-6 demo. The one from Peff. Very good! I wish I had the space and money right away, as the OB-6 is a perfect match to the Prophet-6.

That sort of confirms my thoughts after listening to all these OB-6 demos. The question doesn't seem to be whether one should get a P-6 or an OB-6. They seem to be built to complement each other.

« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2016, 11:47:51 PM »
Indeed. That is my impression so far as well. Maybe that was the reason why they have gone for the SEM inspired 2-pole LPF (+HP, BP and Notch) instead of a 4-pole.

« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2016, 02:35:18 AM »

Cheers,
Peter

Hi Peter, if you get the chance to explore the darker tone of the OB-6 it would be greatly appreciated. Pads in particular. The pad sounds you have demonstated already are very nice indeed. Feel free to post any further sounds, recordings etc (however one wishes to define music ;) ) as you do have an audience here eager to hear them as confirmed by Sacred Synthesis. I'm also encouraged to hear your thoughts regarding the OB-6 being a complimentary synth to the prophet 6 which I own myself. I say this with a keen interest in adding the OB-6 to my set up. Hence my interest and subsequent questions/requests.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 02:37:51 AM by Medibot4 »

« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2016, 04:30:47 AM »
Hi Peter,

Thanks so much for the awesome work on the OB-6, really appreciate all your efforts - keep up the fantastic work!

I'm really excited about the OB-6 and my initial impression is this DSI synth has "classic" written all over it. There is no doubt in my mind the OB-6 and Prophet-6 will live comfortably together in my studio each playing their distinct parts. . .

I will never sell my P-6 it's a keeper =)

Cheers.

« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2016, 05:16:24 AM »
Hi Peter,

Thanks so much for the awesome work on the OB-6, really appreciate all your efforts - keep up the fantastic work!

I'm really excited about the OB-6 and my initial impression is this DSI synth has "classic" written all over it. There is no doubt in my mind the OB-6 and Prophet-6 will live comfortably together in my studio each playing their distinct parts. . .

I will never sell my P-6 it's a keeper =)

Cheers.

I agree, and like yourself I will never sell the prophet 6. The userface encourages creativity and the sound is rich, warm and versatile. My only option therefore (and its not a bad one except for the money element) is to add the OB-6 which, based on the demos so far, seems a no brainer considering I like the oberheim sound and the userface of the prophet. :)

« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2016, 05:44:15 AM »
This is very encouraging and appreciated. Thanks to all of you!

I will respond more detailed later on, however, for now I just would like to understand better what with the "dark side" is meant? Like for example this pad - https://soundcloud.com/petermmahr/dsi-prophet-12-cpm-soundset-6 or like this Prophet-6 pad in here -https://soundcloud.com/petermmahr/bertl-theme If neither of that is what you are interested, can you please send me a youtube link or anything else?

Thank you,
Peter