OB-6 Music

Sacred Synthesis

OB-6 Music
« on: February 02, 2016, 07:23:13 AM »
This thread is especially for musical recordings of the OB-6.  Demos, of course, are also welcome.

Re: OB-6 Music
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 10:15:53 AM »
Darn it,  then send me my instrument and I'll get on it right away  ;D
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 10:29:24 AM »
https://www.instagram.com/peff/

Love the Oberheim sound, love the user interface (I own the prophet 6) so it only makes sense that I now have to own the OB-6. These sound clips only reaffirm that position ;)

chysn

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 12:03:31 PM »

Love the Oberheim sound, love the user interface (I own the prophet 6) so it only makes sense that I now have to own the OB-6. These sound clips only reaffirm that position ;)

Geez, this thing sounds synthy. It's like eating a ten-pound steak wrapped in bacon.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2016, 06:43:39 PM »

Those little snippets of sound really leave one hungry for much more.  I'll be glad when the OB-6 is finally in the hands of owners.

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 01:23:28 AM »
Some really unusual sounds I'm hearing from the OB-6 now. That formant effect from filter modulation I never expected. Still early days with regard to demos but it appear to does genuinely sound very different to previous DSI synths. Far more so than the P6.

LeVo

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2016, 11:42:41 AM »
^ Because its a ds built oberheim ?! ;D

Sounds grand!! Personally think the stripes are a bit tacky but can't wait to witness one for real. Hope there's a module.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 04:05:06 PM by LeVo »

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2016, 10:10:40 AM »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2016, 10:32:54 AM »
Now there's an amount of sonic flexibility. 

I'm looking forward to hearing musical compositions with this instrument.  I'm convinced the OB-6 can make all the racket I would ever want, but I have a happy sense that it would excel in the domain of immense lush musicality.

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2016, 11:06:27 AM »
Personally I'm looking forward to any type of sound that can be generated using the controls that are designed to shape them. What is ''musical'' to one person may be noise to another (and vice versa) if not listened to in the broadest sense of the word. One can hear music in a strong wind or in the pistons of an engine if listening closely enough. I wouldn't like to define ultimately what is musical or not but I appreciate what I believe you are asking for Sacred Synthesis. At this point I am open to hear any of the possibilities that the OB-6 can do. Ideally big, lush and evolving pads but also I'm interested in hearing more of that dark oberheim tone that can sound ghostly but always ever present if you know what I mean. Perhaps a few demos with and without the effects to really appreciate the tone. At the end of the day, its the oberheim tone that interests me and I suspect many others. :)

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2016, 11:59:01 AM »
Personally I'm looking forward to any type of sound that can be generated using the controls that are designed to shape them. What is ''musical'' to one person may be noise to another (and vice versa) if not listened to in the broadest sense of the word. One can hear music in a strong wind or in the pistons of an engine if listening closely enough. I wouldn't like to define ultimately what is musical or not but I appreciate what I believe you are asking for Sacred Synthesis.

That's a discussion I would love to have, because I think there's a way to resolve the issue of the differences between sound, noise, and music without falling into the big dark relativistic pit.  But I've learned my lessons.  A synthesizer forum is no place to have serious philosophical discussions - even those limited to the topic of aesthetics.  The Internet is adverse to such things.  And that's the end of this for me.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 12:19:21 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2016, 12:18:02 PM »
Personally I'm looking forward to any type of sound that can be generated using the controls that are designed to shape them. What is ''musical'' to one person may be noise to another (and vice versa) if not listened to in the broadest sense of the word. One can hear music in a strong wind or in the pistons of an engine if listening closely enough. I wouldn't like to define ultimately what is musical or not but I appreciate what I believe you are asking for Sacred Synthesis.

That's a discussion I would love to have, because I think there's a way to resolve the issue of the differences between sound, noise, and music without falling into the big dark relativistic pit.  But I've learned my lessons.  A synthesizer forum is no place to have serious philosophical discussions - even those limited to the topic of aesthetics.  And that's the end of this for me.

That's fair enough my friend. To be honest I wouldn't expect to use this forum to discuss in any great detail similarities or differences in musical philosophy when it comes to what can be defined as sound, noise or music. My simple point on this subject is that the differentiation between the three depends on the interpretation of the listener. One may choose to divide a line between each of the three and another may appreciate all three as being the same when it comes to defining what is music. Anyway, back to the subject of the OB-6, I really hope others choose to post many different recordings of the synth on this site. Then we can each take from them what we want for our own in terms of listening pleasure :)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 12:20:42 PM by Medibot4 »

chysn

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2016, 12:21:39 PM »
That's a discussion I would love to have, because I think there's a way to resolve the issue of the differences between sound, noise, and music without falling into the big dark relativistic pit.  But I've learned my lessons.  A synthesizer forum is no place to have serious philosophical discussions - even those limited to the topic of aesthetics.  The Internet is adverse to such things.  And that's the end of this for me.

Maybe it's too off-topic for the OB-6 topic, but nothing is too off-topic for the Off-Topic topic. And "big dark relativistic pit" is just too good a term to waste.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2016, 12:24:07 PM »
It's just killing me, but I'm going to resist.  Anyway, please note my original post.  I made reference to music and demos, so that should be inclusive enough for all views.

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2016, 12:33:57 PM »
It's just killing me, but I'm going to resist.  Anyway, please note my original post.  I made reference to music and demos, so that should be inclusive enough for all views.

Personally I didn't think you needed to reference music ''and demos'' as I believe the term music should be inclusive enough as it is.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2016, 03:18:48 PM »
That would be one point of view, and certainly the one that prevails here and seemingly among most synthesists.  But it isn't mine.  I speak as a musician who happens to play synthesizer.  If the synthesizer didn't exist, I'd still be a musician.

If I were to compose an organ fugue and some one were to call it "noise" or an organ "demo," rather than "music," I'd be rather insulted.  I write here in the presumption that, down deep, we all recognize the differences.

So, I would much prefer to hear the OB-6 perform a fugue than make noises, since for me there are stark differences.  Again, I'm confident that, in spite of these forum complexities, we all recognize the differences, even if talking about them is painful.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 06:44:08 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2016, 03:54:56 PM »
That would be one point of view, and certainly the one that prevails here and seemingly among most synthesists.  But it isn't mine.  I speak as a musician who happens to play synthesizer.  If the synthesizer didn't exist, I'd still be a musician.

If I were to compose an organ fugue and some one were to call it "noise" or an organ "demo," rather than "music," I'd be rather insulted.  I write here in the presumption that, down deep, we all recognize the differences.

Well, I am a bass player that happens to play synthesizers also. It's not my primary instrument however. So I concur that if the synthesizer didn't exist, as you put it, I would still be a musician. In fact, one could argue if I didn't play bass but instead only used a computer and a mouse to score music (which I have done for film) I would still be a musician. At the end of the day the music being played is only a result of what is first imagined in our minds is it not? My original point really was to try to highlight that all sounds can be considered musical depending on the interpretation of the individual. I agree that most people will recognize the differences between different types of sounds (certainly the difference between an organ and what you might deem as noise (white/pink?) but to suggest that one type of sound is more musical than another boils down to the individual and what the individual is hearing. I don't believe that anyone, myself included of course, is an authority on what can be considered as music and what isn't.

I should add that, I have heard your music and I don't think anyone will confuse your lovely compositions done with the Prophet 08 and the Polyevolver as ''noise'' :)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 03:57:45 PM by Medibot4 »

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2016, 04:13:08 PM »

So, I would much prefer to hear the OB-6 perform a fugue than make noises.  Again, I'm confident that, in spite of these forum complexities, we all recognize the differences, even if talking about them is painful.

Personally I must add that I don't find talking about the differences in sounds, or music in general, as painful. I try to encompass all types of music and whilst I have preferential tastes in some styles of music over others I recognize that when it comes to defining what is musical and what isn't it shouldn't be limited to one's taste.

On the subject of the OB-6, I know what I am hoping to hear from any music recordings that get made. I've had a sound in my mind when it comes to making music and I always found myself watching youtube clips of oberheims when programmed to make use of the dark tone it is capable of. Others want to hear how perfectly it can replicate 'jump' by van halen. I can't begrudge them of that of course, but each to their own ;)

LeVo

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2016, 05:32:37 AM »
Nice to hear some intelligent points of view as opposed to constant hand clapping :)

I don't think it's too off topic, tho seen as this is the "music"  thread maybe there should be an OB6 "sound" thread. I'm easy with either as long as we get hear some good stuff. :)

The darker toned soundscapey stuff is also my preference often not represented in favour of cheesy sync leads and funky basses. The p6 is capable of beautifully bleak tones with the right sweet spots but wasn't really shown off as much as the classic stuff.

I'd like to hear well programmed drones/scapes on synths to get a feel of what it can do and see less showing off up and down the scales (which is about something other than sound imo and mostly distracting) ;)

Carry on !! x
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 05:44:54 AM by LeVo »

LeVo

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2016, 06:23:25 AM »
Another preview: https://soundcloud.com/syntheticthings/dave-smith-instruments-ob-6-sound-demo

Wicked stuff in here thanks !! shows some fragile/weird areas the p6 doesn't seem to cover ....

Cheers
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 06:26:47 AM by LeVo »