My Prophet X review

LoboLives

My Prophet X review
« on: August 10, 2018, 12:41:36 AM »
My first video review...please give me any feedback you can in terms of bettering the image and sound quality of future videos. Hope you guys enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbG8c1JF0qg&feature=youtu.be

jg666

Re: My Prophet X review
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 03:20:42 AM »
My first video review...please give me any feedback you can in terms of bettering the image and sound quality of future videos. Hope you guys enjoy.

DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

LoboLives

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 09:34:46 AM »

Thanks so much!

DMS

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 12:43:58 PM »
So much fun tweaking the samples and ocs, mods. Best saxophone  I have ever heard out of a keyboard, not saying to fire your sax player, but damn you can pull off Floyd easy, all in beautiful stereo ahhhh
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 12:54:21 PM by DMS »

LoboLives

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018, 01:41:23 PM »
So much fun tweaking the samples and ocs, mods. Best saxophone  I have ever heard out of a keyboard, not saying to fire your sax player, but damn you can pull off Floyd easy, all in beautiful stereo ahhhh

I agree I’m going to do a video explaining how to get the perfect sax sound out of this thing. I always felt brass samples are where a lot of hardware synthesizers fell short. This doesn’t.

DMS

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2018, 02:27:14 PM »

I agree I’m going to do a video explaining how to get the perfect sax sound out of this thing. I always felt brass samples are where a lot of hardware synthesizers fell short. This doesn’t.

Nice video by the way. I don’t think non owners will really get it, but mixing these sine waves and samples with 4 lfo’s, is so easy it is like a new way of sonic bliss. You called it, it’s not a keyboard it’s an instrument...

LoboLives

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2018, 03:10:33 PM »

Nice video by the way. I don’t think non owners will really get it, but mixing these sine waves and samples with 4 lfo’s, is so easy it is like a new way of sonic bliss. You called it, it’s not a keyboard it’s an instrument...

Thanks! Yeah I think a lot of the presets and demos of the PX almost obliterate the samples to the point where they aren’t recognizable at all or they focus on ignore the samples all together and just focusing on the synth section. I see the Oscilators as more “assistance” to support the samples rather than stand-alone synth sound. It’s certainly something I’m going to explore this weekend.

Shaw

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2018, 05:28:24 AM »
I definitely agree that it is and feels like an “instrument”.   To me it is what the Kurzweil K-series was trying to be.  I’ve made some patches recently concentrating on a mix of the Instruments and Oscillators — there is some wonderful sonic territory in there.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

jg666

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2018, 06:44:39 AM »
As I’ve said on your YouTube channel - I can feel this synth calling to me and forcing me to buy it ;)

It would be nice if you could get a few more people from these forums subscribing to your channel :)
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

LoboLives

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2018, 08:02:41 AM »
As I’ve said on your YouTube channel - I can feel this synth calling to me and forcing me to buy it ;)

It would be nice if you could get a few more people from these forums subscribing to your channel :)

Thanks, and I agree, it would certainly be nice if I can generate more subscribers cause of the X. Moreso because I feel a lot of the presets and demos don’t do it justice.

Shaw

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2018, 08:03:47 AM »
Thanks, and I agree, it would certainly be nice if I can generate more subscribers cause of the X. Moreso because I feel a lot of the presets and demos don’t do it justice.
Subscribed, and Liked.  Keep up the good work!
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

LoboLives

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2018, 10:56:39 AM »
Subscribed, and Liked.  Keep up the good work!

Thanks so much!

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2018, 12:33:42 PM »
I definitely agree that it is and feels like an “instrument”.

Absolutely.  It's definitely geared toward immediacy and playability.

To me it is what the Kurzweil K-series was trying to be.

Perhaps from a performance control standpoint, but definitely not from an editing point of view.  If anything, I'd say it's the complete opposite.  The Prophet X sacrifices depth for simplicity at every turn where VAST and KDFX lean into complexity to give as much control as possible, and that has both benefits and drawbacks.

The Prophet X model makes it incredibly easy to experiment, even to the extent of making changing a patch part of your performance.  That's hugely valuable and a part of what drew me to the instrument as a marked contrast to my Forte.  On the other hand, lacking the flexibility to have distinct key ranges with their own envelopes, filtering, and effects makes the Prophet X ill-suited to purposes for which my Kurzweil is perfect.  Drum kits leap to mind as a prime example.  Something as simple as having hi hat samples cut one another off while playing alongside other drums isn't well accommodated, nor is deciding to mix and match drums from multiple factory kits.

Ultimately, they're very different designs, though I do find that both have a special sonic appeal that I can see fitting into the same conceptual bucket.

ddp

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2018, 05:26:00 PM »
nice video!  i love my prophet-x too!
Linnstrument, Pro 3 SE, Tempest, Prophet 10 & 12, Synclavier Regen, Cirklon 2, Torso T-1, Max/Ableton/Push 3, Kawai MP11SE, Pioneer Pro XDJ-XZ.

LoboLives

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2018, 10:01:43 PM »
nice video!  i love my prophet-x too!

Thanks!

LoboLives

« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2018, 10:07:07 PM »
I definitely agree that it is and feels like an “instrument”.

Absolutely.  It's definitely geared toward immediacy and playability.

To me it is what the Kurzweil K-series was trying to be.

Perhaps from a performance control standpoint, but definitely not from an editing point of view.  If anything, I'd say it's the complete opposite.  The Prophet X sacrifices depth for simplicity at every turn where VAST and KDFX lean into complexity to give as much control as possible, and that has both benefits and drawbacks.

The Prophet X model makes it incredibly easy to experiment, even to the extent of making changing a patch part of your performance.  That's hugely valuable and a part of what drew me to the instrument as a marked contrast to my Forte.  On the other hand, lacking the flexibility to have distinct key ranges with their own envelopes, filtering, and effects makes the Prophet X ill-suited to purposes for which my Kurzweil is perfect.  Drum kits leap to mind as a prime example.  Something as simple as having hi hat samples cut one another off while playing alongside other drums isn't well accommodated, nor is deciding to mix and match drums from multiple factory kits.

Ultimately, they're very different designs, though I do find that both have a special sonic appeal that I can see fitting into the same conceptual bucket.

Kurzweil seem to be getting more hands on in terms of their recent SP6. There's a lot of capability from the front panel as opposed to menu diving. I do think they need to bring a rack format of their sounds out. A lot of the sounds on the SP6/Forte/PC3K are almost all the same anyway...why not do a rack version like an Integra7. I'm sure it would sell well.

In regards to the PX though...I really do hope this starts a trend of sorts where we see more hardware samplers (Hi end and Low end) start to be introduced. Nord would make a killing with doing a Nord Wave 2 considering their library of samples but alas I think they've given up on synths all together.

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2018, 03:17:26 AM »

thank you for your time. Very inspiring review, and great sounds you are creating! Keep it up!

LoboLives

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2018, 06:50:09 AM »

thank you for your time. Very inspiring review, and great sounds you are creating! Keep it up!

Thank you!

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2018, 05:21:37 PM »
Liked. Subscribed. I am not looking into getting a PX. A P12 is what I want, but I love all synths and everything DSI.  :)

My little advice:
https://www.patreon.com/
https://www.zoom-na.com/products/field-video-recording/field-recording/zoom-f1-field-recorderlavalier-mic
Why you fell in love with all the gear you own (a little profile for each) is something I want to see as a subscriber in the future  8)

LoboLives

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2018, 05:34:10 PM »
Liked. Subscribed. I am not looking into getting a PX. A P12 is what I want, but I love all synths and everything DSI.  :)

My little advice:
https://www.patreon.com/
https://www.zoom-na.com/products/field-video-recording/field-recording/zoom-f1-field-recorderlavalier-mic
Why you fell in love with all the gear you own (a little profile for each) is something I want to see as a subscriber in the future  8)

Thanks! I just got a headset mic and I recorded all the PX sounds directly into the camera via a Tascam field recorder from my Soundcraft. So for future videos my voice will sound a bit better. The only thing I’m struggling with is syncing what I record into my DAW and the camera video. So that’s why I’m just recording direct to the camera from my Soundcraft.

Thanks for the suggestion for the gear reviews! It’s certainly something I’m planning after I get finished going through a few more videos on the PX.