BETA OS v1.1.5.9 Bug Report Thread

Re: BETA OS v1.1.5.9 Bug Report Thread
« Reply #160 on: April 30, 2019, 09:17:21 AM »
I experience the following bug:
I configured pickup mode for poti values. When I hold [show] to see the real value of a parameter while turning the poti and I accidentally release [show] before the value is reached, the parameter just jumps to the position of the poti and overwrites the original value with this.

Maybe it could be more foolproof to just show the value of the poti as soon it is moved?

I think that the Show Value is meant to do exactly this: show the current value of a parameter. I don't think that it was intended to be used as a continuous value display. Anyway, just make sure to remove your hand from a given pot before releasing the Show button. Problem solved.

But I second your idea of automatically showing a parameter value when turning a given knob. That would be great. But I wouldn't keep my hopes up, since Sequential has pretty much given up on adding new features on this model.
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

noir

« Reply #161 on: April 30, 2019, 12:17:26 PM »
I think that the Show Value is meant to do exactly this: show the current value of a parameter. I don't think that it was intended to be used as a continuous value display. Anyway, just make sure to remove your hand from a given pot before releasing the Show button. Problem solved.
I don't know what you mean. At least for me this function works as the following:
Poti of parameter A is physically at 9 O'clock.
In the current preset, it somewhere else.
If I want to see the actual value of parameter A without changing it, I need to hold the [show] button and turn the Poti until it reaches the saved position. There's no value shown to me until the position is reached.

Especially in a stressful live situation (this is where I'm using this device most of the time) it can happen that you slip off this button.

I hope that they just change this behavior, it's such a very minor fix with a big impact on the usability. I'd even sign a NDA and do it by myself...

« Reply #162 on: April 30, 2019, 12:30:32 PM »
I just tested what it does on my rev2.

When the stored value = 0 and the pot is at at 63. I press misc, and turn up. After turning about 15 degrees up it shows 0.
Also the other way around. When I turn about 15 degrees down, the actual value is shown.

This makes me think that you don't have to reach the stored value but it appears that way. It just takes quite a turn to get the stored value on the display. Not just by touching it.

« Reply #163 on: May 11, 2019, 03:36:29 AM »
Hi,
I'm new to the Rev 2 and don't know if it's a bug or not, already written to the support but I think there are misunderstandings in the issue.
It's related to the poly sequencer, I can't modify or insert notes from the keyboard in tracks other than 1 ( i can using the encoders)
Here is a simple example and exactly the steps i do:

I record simple a polyphonic sequence G-  F rolling the chords while holding notes.
check the notes entered and they are :
step 1 G Bb D (voice 1,2 and 3)
step 2 F  A  C

and that is ok.

now  i want to change the C in the third voice in Eb

I hit record, navigate using the encoders parameter and track to step 2 of voice 3
I hit Eb on my keyboard .

check the sequence and what i have now is :

step 1 G Bb D (voice 1,2 and 3 )
step 2  Eb A C

Eb is recorded in voice 1 and not in voice 3.

firmware is 1.1.5.9
Prophet rev2 desktop module

Is the sequencer intended to work like this or not?
Is this a bug of the firmware of a problem with my unit?

Thank you very much

Andrea

« Reply #164 on: June 14, 2019, 08:28:38 AM »
I have discovered that the neither the arp nor sequencer will start when the clock divide is set to 1/64 triplets if the REV2 is in slave mode receiving MIDI clock from either the MIDI DIN in or USB.

1. Go to globals and set MIDI Clock Mode to Slave
2. Send MIDI Clock from another device or a computer to the REV2
3. Set the clock divide to 1/64 triplets
4. Try pressing play on the sequencer or on/off on the arp
5. Neither the arp or sequencer will play

If you start the arp or seq in 1/32 note triplets it will allow you change to 1/64 note triplets properly. I just updated yesterday so I don't think it was happening in 1.1.4.27, but I could be wrong and just discovered the behavior.

« Reply #165 on: June 14, 2019, 02:05:37 PM »
Annoying, buggy LFO behavior after key sync has been enabled.
I have Rev2, 8 voices, v1.1.5.9 installed, calibrated multiple times.

To produce problem:

step 1)
I have a simple program in layer A or B (no stack or split) with an LFO (say reverse saw) controlling something (say cut-off), NO clk sync, NO key sync. After a fresh power-on of the instrument, this functions as expected: I hear the spikes in the cutoff in sync for all voices (0-7, looking in the display after pressing global).

step 2)
Now, I enable key sync and play a couple of notes, and disable key sync again.

resulting bug:
Now, I have two non-synced lfo's, one for voices 0-3, and one for voices 4-7, audible as non-synced cutoff spikes in the sound.

The bug also happens when, instead of step 2, I simply select another program with key sync on and play some notes. They only way to get the expected sound is to power the instrument off and on again.

« Reply #166 on: June 14, 2019, 04:24:23 PM »
Ah, I see this has been discussed in length already (under the name "global sync"). Did not search enough before posting. Well, I find this behavior really useless. Depending on how my single oscillator LFO's happen to be started when using a previously selected key-sync program, my no-key-sync program sounds less or more chaotic. That seems ridiculous to me.

Maybe I am spoiled by the intuitiveness of modern digital stuff made in red, but this seems so unintuitive to me. Along with many other funny behaviors that are maybe very "classic synth-like", I am considering selling this beautiful sounding machine that, after a year of intensive use, has still not become a friend.

EDIT:
Hey, but wait, this does not explain why my first four voices (0-3) are in sync with each other and so are my second four (4-7).
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 04:52:51 PM by skipgilles »

cbmd

• Sequential
« Reply #167 on: June 14, 2019, 05:13:01 PM »
Regarding the 3 descriptions of potential bugs above.

1. When record is active, newly played notes on the keyboard overwrite the old sequence.  If you want to edit a sequence, use the SHOW button to access the sequencer screen, and use the soft encoders to change a step's value.

2. I've checked a REV2 in shop and am not able to replicate the described issue with the arp/sequencer not playing when clock divide is set to 64 triplets and the synth is externally sync'd.  I advise you to reset your global parameters and check again.

3. Concerning the LFOs, the LFOs are free running and per voice.  When the synth is first powered on, every LFO on every voice is initialized at the same time.  If Key Sync is turned on, the LFO(s) on the triggered voice are reset to their zero point.  The LFOs will continue at that phase until a new key is played on the voice.  This is the expected behavior of 'polyphonic LFOs', nothing is wrong with your REV2 in this regard.  In contrast to this, the Prophet 6 only has a single LFO which affects all 6 voices.

Hope this helps!
Product Designer
Sequential | Oberheim

« Reply #168 on: June 17, 2019, 02:04:34 PM »
Multiple reset globals and power cycling has solved part of this. Now, with external clock, the arp works fine but the sequencer won't start at the highest clock division (1/64 triplets). What is strange is that if you hold down the sustain pedal the notes do play (and they are sustained), but as soon as you let off they stop. I have tried all the different Arp. Pedal and Seq. Pedal settings, but they all exhibit the some problem. Is anyone running an external clock able to reproduce this?

I have discovered that the neither the arp nor sequencer will start when the clock divide is set to 1/64 triplets if the REV2 is in slave mode receiving MIDI clock from either the MIDI DIN in or USB.

1. Go to globals and set MIDI Clock Mode to Slave
2. Send MIDI Clock from another device or a computer to the REV2
3. Set the clock divide to 1/64 triplets
4. Try pressing play on the sequencer or on/off on the arp
5. Neither the arp or sequencer will play

If you start the arp or seq in 1/32 note triplets it will allow you change to 1/64 note triplets properly. I just updated yesterday so I don't think it was happening in 1.1.4.27, but I could be wrong and just discovered the behavior.

« Reply #169 on: June 25, 2019, 06:16:38 PM »
Does this OS thing include any fix for that ring mod sound bug related to the fx? It kind of makes this board unplayable at times...

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #170 on: July 10, 2019, 06:32:20 AM »
I'm having a bit of a problem, when I use the gated sequencer set to reset when it gets a MIDI note-on.

I'm trying to sync my REV2 and PEAK together, by setting both to reset when receiving a note-on... The REV2 is set to play a sequence using the gated sequencer, and PEAK is set to retrigger an arpeggio... what I'm trying to do is to make both reset on a note-on, and then play in sync. I have both synths receive the same MIDI clock signal coming from my V-Synth GT, and the note-on the two synths recieve is also coming from the V-Synth GT... both synths are connected to the V-Synth via MIDI DIN, so what the two get is exactly the same signal, so there cannot be any deviances in the signal that they recieve... I'm using a MIDI splitter cable for this.

My PEAK retrigger as it should, tight and on the spot as it gets a note-on... but the REV2 seems really sloppy with it's retriggering of the sequence... I'm wondering if this is a bug... I'm thinking that maybe the internal resolotion of the REV2 is perhaps 96PPQN, and that maybe the PPQN timer is not reset, but only the actual sequence? ... it sounds like some sort of jittering because of the PPQN timer being at different positions when the resetting of the sequence occurs... it's a very short jitter, but it's enough to make any kind of key-trigger sync of the REV2 to any other machine impossible which is kind of a shame really.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 06:34:59 AM by Razmo »
If you need me, follow the shadows...

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #171 on: July 10, 2019, 07:32:50 AM »
I have made a short demo example of what I'm talking about here: http://razmo.ziphoid.com/sync.mp3

the first part is my V-Synth GT playing back a rhythm sample that is locked to BPM (98BPM)... this clock is sent to both PEAK and REV2 along with the note-on triggers from the GT's keyboard.

Next part I add the PEAK's arpeggio and trigger it a few times... as can be heard, the PEAK lines up perfectly with the GT.

Next part I add the REV2 playing an additional rhythm via the gated sequencer, and as can be heard it's all over the place... the tempo is right, but the resetting is definitely off and jittery.

I do not know if this behavior is also present with REV2's arp and sequencer... probably is I would guess.

« Reply #172 on: July 13, 2019, 11:27:29 PM »
I’m not somewhere where I can listen right now but if I haven’t just stopped, set tempo (or kept it the same) and then started abletons clock (as in from the beginning or maybe from an exact downbeat, I usually play live so I just start it from the beginning every time) my arpeggiator is a nightmare. It kinda scares me live and isn’t like abletons arp where I can tap tempo in and drop it in live with a band. It’s kind of a shame and makes it much more of a played keyboard than an arp or sequencer ever, which is how I usually am anyway but I’d love to do both...

CPN37

« Reply #173 on: July 26, 2019, 03:11:08 AM »
I thought I'd mention a bug which I've already reported to Sequential and they've added to their list for a future OS update, just in case anyone else notices similar behaviour.

Basically when I am switching from my own User program to User program, sometimes the Delay FX which is part of the program will not load on either side of a Split. This seems to happen when I change programs quickly. If I reload the program again the Delay FX is back as it should be.
Sequential Prophet 5 Rev4, Sequential Circuits Pro One, Sequential Prophet Rev2-8, Minimoog, ARP Pro Soloist, Roland Jupiter 4, Roland Juno 60

nickcarlisle.bandcamp.com

CPN37

« Reply #174 on: August 31, 2019, 05:56:19 AM »
I thought I’d add another bug which Carson has already tested and confirmed to be a software issue that he’s added to the list for a future update, just in case anyone else comes across it too.

I noticed that for one of my own patches, where I have assigned the Modulation wheel via Mod Slot 1 to pitch oscillator 1 down an octave when pushed all the way to the upper position, ie:

Mod Slot 1
Source: ModWheel
Amount: -24
Dest: Osc1Freq

that the notes G#, A, A# & B were sounding different - a little quieter - than the other notes on the keyboard in a certain octave, when Osc1 was using a Sawtooth waveform. It turns out that this behaviour is way more noticeable if you choose a Triangle waveform instead for Osc1, those four notes sound like they are sawtooth waveforms whereas every other note on the keyboard sounds like a triangle, as they should. This, when the Mod Wheel is pushed to the maximum.

The problem is the same for Oscillator 2, if you set the Mod slot 1 Destination to Osc2Freq too.

It only happens on one octave, so if Osc1 Freq is set to C2, and the ModWheel is pushed all the way up, then the strange G# to B notes are at the very upper octave.

Sequential Prophet 5 Rev4, Sequential Circuits Pro One, Sequential Prophet Rev2-8, Minimoog, ARP Pro Soloist, Roland Jupiter 4, Roland Juno 60

nickcarlisle.bandcamp.com

« Reply #175 on: August 31, 2019, 12:09:29 PM »
Just adding this here, as it seems to be a good repository of this info:

Support Ticket 48090 - Confirmed Bug

Gated Sequencer does not advance properly when using both layers in Key Step mode.

A fix to this would improve Voice Modeling capabilities with the Rev2, and also allow proper working patches with dual layer syncopated sequences using the Gated Sequencer key step with arp.   We'll be able to create some really advanced melodic motion patches using both layers. 

OB-X8, Pro 3, P6, Rev2, Take 5, 3rd Wave, Deepmind, PolyBrute, Sub 37
Sound Sets:
https://sounddesign.sellfy.store/
Free Patches:
https://www.PresetPatch.com/user/CreativeSpiral

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #176 on: August 31, 2019, 12:57:59 PM »
I can add, that the timing of starting a gated sequencer when synced to external clock is very jittery... It is impossible to align the onset of the sequence with other gear... I tried this by sending the exact same electrical signal from my V-Synth GT to both REV2 and PEAK via a physical MIDI splitter cable, sending clock signals and note on to both synths... peak playing a key synced arpeggio, The GT playing a looped and timesynced drumloop, and REV2 playing a gsynced gated sequencer sequence... The PEAK follows the GT 100% in time, but REV2 jitters the onset of the sequence differently on each and every new triggering... It sounds like if the PPQ counter in REV2 is not reset on retriggering the sequence.

Also, I wrote support about this a month ago and was promised a confirmation later... I have still not heard anything, and do not know if they forgot to write me back... But now the bug is listed here as well if anyone else have this problem.

« Reply #177 on: August 31, 2019, 02:20:42 PM »
Furthermore I can confirm that the midi clock signal generated by the rev2 is very unstable - at the midi out port you can measure constant fluctuations.
I‘m not sure sure if this problem already has been reported.

I can add, that the timing of starting a gated sequencer when synced to external clock is very jittery... It is impossible to align the onset of the sequence with other gear... I tried this by sending the exact same electrical signal from my V-Synth GT to both REV2 and PEAK via a physical MIDI splitter cable, sending clock signals and note on to both synths... peak playing a key synced arpeggio, The GT playing a looped and timesynced drumloop, and REV2 playing a gsynced gated sequencer sequence... The PEAK follows the GT 100% in time, but REV2 jitters the onset of the sequence differently on each and every new triggering... It sounds like if the PPQ counter in REV2 is not reset on retriggering the sequence.

Also, I wrote support about this a month ago and was promised a confirmation later... I have still not heard anything, and do not know if they forgot to write me back... But now the bug is listed here as well if anyone else have this problem.

« Reply #178 on: September 11, 2019, 04:17:12 PM »
Hello, anyone knows if the next firmware update will be announced anytime soon?

« Reply #179 on: September 16, 2019, 05:17:22 PM »
Is it a bug that the slew of the gated sequencer doesn't affect a sequence when it is routed through the mod matrix? 

Slew only works for me when you route the sequence to a parameter directly from the sequencer section, not the mod matrix.