BETA OS v1.1.5.9 Bug Report Thread

Re: BETA OS v1.1.4.25 Bug Report Thread
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2018, 12:40:28 PM »
Thank you DSI for this latest firmware update (1.1.4.25). We can now have a global LFO that remains in sync, or have independent ones by using Key Sync. To put them back all in sync (global), simply using Unison with 16 voices and using Key Sync once to reset them. Except for the random waveform which still behaves as 16 independent LFOs, generating different random values but in sync, unfortunately.

I'd sure would have preferred a dedicated LFO Global Mode (on/off) parameter, but this is better than nothing, and at least now they all remain properly timed and not drifting anymore.

Now, if only that 12 db filter mode would have more resonance, that would be the icing on the cake, but I fear that this is a hardware limitation not fixable in software... Oh well.

There still remains the Tempo LED bug when the REV2 is in Slave Clock mode, with an external MIDI clock source, which flashes twice as fast as the source clock, sometimes not at all, or sometimes stays lit when switching from Master to Slave...

Cool! Could this also be implemented on the P12?

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2018, 12:55:01 PM »
I'm not sure what it is yet... but I think there may be a bug with the unison mode... i cannot get the detune parameter to have any effect on a monophonic program I'm working on... it simply has no effect for some reason... if I take an initialized program though, it does work when switching unison on and choosing more than one voice... just will not work in the program I'm working on... I've not been able to figure out yet, what other parameter is the cause of this in my program.
If you need me, follow the shadows...

« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2018, 04:37:32 AM »
Hello everybody. I have noticed some more bugs (although it may be that they already existed in previous firmware versions and it is known behavior):

- If an Lfo is in clk sync mode, its frequency can no longer be controlled as a destination in the mod matrix

- Modwheel is partially not taken over via shortcut as a mod source - as a workaround, you have to first assign a different mod source, then modwheel is recognized again.

- There is some strange behavior regarding the MIDI functionality via USB:
The Rev2 creates a MIDI loop when recording in Cubase so that the recorded midi notes are not played back. The settings in the DAW (such as MIDI Filter) did not solve the problem.
When "Local off" is activated, the duplicate notes disappear, but no programs or banks can be manually selected on the Rev2. To dial in presets quickly, it is a bit awkward to work with PC commands in this case ... I think it should be possible to record without MIDI doubling, but you should still be able to select presets on the keyboard.

Furthermore, as a result of modifying "local on / off", the selected preset sometimes stops COMPLETELY to produce sound - Neighboring presets generate sound ..! I need to study this problem a bit more closely to find a possible cause.

I'm grateful if some of you experienced users could clear things up for me. Many Thanks
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 05:38:44 AM by Kasimir Effekt »

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2018, 04:53:35 AM »
Hello everybody. I have noticed some more bugs (although it may be that they already existed in previous firmware versions and it is known behavior):

- If an Lfo is in clk sync mode, its frequency can no longer be controlled as a destination in the mod matrix

- Modwheel is partially not taken over via shortcut as a mod source - as a workaround, you have to first assign a different mod source, then modwheel is recognized again.

The Rev2 creates a MIDI loop when recording in Cubase so that the recorded midi notes are not played back. The settings in the DAW (such as MIDI Filter) did not solve the problem.
When "Local off" is activated, the duplicate notes disappear, but no programs or banks can be manually selected on the Rev2. To dial in presets quickly, it is a bit awkward to work with PC commands in this case ... I think it should be possible to record without MIDI doubling, but you should still be able to select presets on the keyboard.

Furthermore, as a result of modifying "local on / off", the selected preset sometimes stops COMPLETE to produce sound - Neighboring presets generate sound ..! I need to study this problem a bit more closely to find a possible cause.

I'm grateful if some of you experienced users could clear things up for me. Many Thanks

Regarding the sync'ed LFO's not being modulateable when synced... this is normal I'd say, and probably intentionally made so... it is not limited to the LFO's as far as i know... anything trying to modulate the LFO Rate while it is in sync mode is probably not going to be working.

It would be cool though, if it was possible to modulate between the different divisions from the Mod Matrix...

« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2018, 08:13:31 AM »
Hi Razmo,
yes, your're right: synced LFO can not be modulated by any source. Too bad, because it's not uncommon at all to switch different time divisions of a clock synced LFO (for example, if I think of dubstep "wobble basses") ;)

Do you know anything about the MIDI doubling problem? I have read in another forum that the problem can possibly be circumvented by using a MIDI cable and two different MIDI tracks in the DWA, for each MIDI IN and MIDI OUT.

Another user wrote that the problem with stacked programs can be fixed by switching off multimode, which is not the case for me. See here: https://forum.sequential.com/index.php?topic=2356.0

Furthermore, as a result of modifying "local on / off", the selected preset sometimes stops COMPLETE to produce sound - Neighboring presets generate sound ..! I need to study this problem a bit more closely to find a possible cause.

Regarding the sync'ed LFO's not being modulateable when synced... this is normal I'd say, and probably intentionally made so... it is not limited to the LFO's as far as i know... anything trying to modulate the LFO Rate while it is in sync mode is probably not going to be working.

It would be cool though, if it was possible to modulate between the different divisions from the Mod Matrix...

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2018, 09:52:03 AM »
I've found a bug:

1. initialize a program
2. set LFO1's amount to max
3. set LFO1's rate to 25
4. set LFO1's destination to OSC1 Frequency
5. set LFO1's clock sync to "on" (make sure REV2 is master clock)

now press a key and hold it down... you should hear the pitch go up and down smoothly, as the triangle of LFO1 modulates the pitch in sync with the masterclock (at 6 steps).

and now for the bug:

6. press the Stack A+B
7. turn down the volume of layer B to "0" so that it will not interfere with the sound.
7. press a key and hold it down again

now you should hear that the smooth triangle modulation is no longer a smooth triangle waveform... it abruptly change the pitch modulation, and it seems that it somehow phase resets the triangle waveform, because if you change the time division the abrupt reset seems to occur at the same time interval... it's almost like oscillator sync, just with the LFO somehow.

I have no idea why this happens when the B layer is enabled (stacked mode)... but it does, and it's definitely a bug that need fixing.

dslsynth

« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2018, 12:10:24 PM »
I have no idea why this happens when the B layer is enabled (stacked mode)... but it does, and it's definitely a bug that need fixing.

Just in case: have you checked that the resulting program matches the front panel changes you performed?

Also, wonder if its connected to this Prophet 12 problem:
https://forum.sequential.com/index.php/topic,2884.0.html
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2018, 02:17:50 PM »

Just in case: have you checked that the resulting program matches the front panel changes you performed?

Also, wonder if its connected to this Prophet 12 problem:
https://forum.sequential.com/index.php/topic,2884.0.html

Yes... I did... but for some reason it went away again at some point... then came back.. it seems that it's a bit unstable and therefore others who try this may not experience it... makes it a bit hard to replicate it... it seems to be dependent on certain things... I'll have to test it some more...

« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2018, 03:07:25 PM »
Confirmed! Stacked programs definitely change the behavior of clock-synced LFOs:
1. initialize a program on layer A, reduce cutoff
2. initialize a program on layer B, set LFO1 (square wave, medium amount) to osc1 freq
3. play the stacked program - you hear the modulated frequency, everything is fine.
BUT:
4. now switch LFO1 on Layer B to clk sync - the pitch change has disappeared!

I've found a bug:

1. initialize a program
3. set LFO1's rate to 25

now press a key and hold it down... you should hear the pitch go up and down smoothly, as the triangle of LFO1 modulates the pitch in sync with the masterclock (at 6 steps).

and now for the bug:

6. press the Stack A+B
7. turn down the volume of layer B to "0" so that it will not interfere with the sound.

now you should hear that the smooth triangle modulation is no longer a smooth triangle waveform... it abruptly change the pitch modulation, and it seems that it somehow phase resets the triangle waveform, because if you change the time division the abrupt reset seems to occur at the same time interval... it's almost like oscillator sync, just with the LFO somehow.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 03:14:42 PM by Kasimir Effekt »

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2018, 03:58:30 AM »
Confirmed! Stacked programs definitely change the behavior of clock-synced LFOs:
2. initialize a program on layer B, set LFO1 (square wave, medium amount) to osc1 freq
3. play the stacked program - you hear the modulated frequency, everything is fine.
BUT:

I've found a bug:

1. initialize a program
3. set LFO1's rate to 25

and now for the bug:

6. press the Stack A+B

Yes... that does the same thing... and the modulation seems to go haywire as soon as stacked mode is switched on... if you switch it off again, the modulation comes back in... etc.

I have a feeling that some of the fix for the LFO in sync mode that was done in the latest OS has introduced this new bug... I would bet that they somehow have mixed up some stuff between the two layers, so that one layer also influence the other layer or something like that...

This is a bug that needs to be fixed because it totally ruins the use of the synced LFOs again when you're using stacked programs... I hope that DSI will confirm this bug (?)

« Reply #50 on: September 27, 2018, 12:06:25 PM »
Strange, at first I could not replicate Razmos and Kasimirs problems. Programmed from a freshly initialized patch everything sounds as expected. Stack enabled the Clock synced LFO on layer 1 produces a smooth sweep on OSC 1 freq. Continuous use of the sustain pedal, changing the master clock and divider, playing extensive chords, use aftertouch, change LFO 1s speed and amount or clock sync, switch stack on and off, nothing changes unexpectedly. The OSC1 freq is smoothly modulated.

But I dare you to activate key sync on LFO 1. The waveform of LFO 1 is now hard synced to a source which I could not identify (the LED blinks accordingly). Deactivating key sync solves the problem but for every 8th note played, the LFO is hard synced again. Key sync on again and every note is problematic. Key sync off again, now a strange pattern with good and bad notes. After several key sync on and off events, the LFO is permanently hard synced. Even changing to another program and back does not solve the problem. Switching the Rev2 off and unplugging the power cord for 20 seconds and then on again does not even help. The program seems permanently damaged.

The only fix I have found so far is to start over with a freshly initialized patch...

Edit:
Found a fix for the „hard synced LFO“ once it has occured: Turning the affected LFOs frequency all the way up to 1/16 steps and then back to the desired value fixes the problem. Just do not hit that key sync button again.

BUT:

I've found a bug:

1. initialize a program
3. set LFO1's rate to 25

and now for the bug:

6. press the Stack A+B

Yes... that does the same thing... and the modulation seems to go haywire as soon as stacked mode is switched on... if you switch it off again, the modulation comes back in... etc.

I have a feeling that some of the fix for the LFO in sync mode that was done in the latest OS has introduced this new bug... I would bet that they somehow have mixed up some stuff between the two layers, so that one layer also influence the other layer or something like that...

This is a bug that needs to be fixed because it totally ruins the use of the synced LFOs again when you're using stacked programs... I hope that DSI will confirm this bug (?)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 12:35:48 PM by minor7th »

shiihs

• phasing in and out of reality
« Reply #51 on: September 27, 2018, 01:59:05 PM »
A potential bug with LFOs and clock sync mode (at least I think it's a bug):

Choose LFO1, enable LFO CLK SYNC, turn the LFO Frequency button. The display shows discrete values for the sync rate (OK!), but NRPN 37 is sent with continuously varying values between 0-150 (Not OK? Usually discrete values on the display are also sent as discrete values via NRPN).

--
gear: prophet rev2 16 voice, kawai NV10, casio wk-7600, Roland Integra-7, supercollider, ardour

links:

https://www.youtube.com/stefaanhimpe
https://soundcloud.com/stefaanhimpe
https://technogems.blogspot.com
https://a-touch-of-music.blogspot.com/

« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2018, 05:55:03 AM »
After updating to 1.1.4.25 the arpeggiator only send notes to the midi output when the clock mode is set to Off or Master. As as slave the arp doesn't send out the notes to the output. This only works when using the USB midi port. But i don't use this because this produces a bit high noise on the audio output..

dp

Re: BETA OS v1.1.4.13 Bug Report Thread
« Reply #53 on: October 02, 2018, 08:05:41 AM »
It looks like the new OS version breaks alternative tunings. Not the biggest of deals for most users until you, like me, rely on them.

Hey shiihs. I also rely heavily on them and was about to update (I'm a few versions back).  When you say it breaks them, can you explain in what way? My guess is that it isn't calculating the tunings correctly...

Thanks

shiihs

• phasing in and out of reality
Re: BETA OS v1.1.4.13 Bug Report Thread
« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2018, 01:19:16 PM »
Hey shiihs. I also rely heavily on them and was about to update (I'm a few versions back).  When you say it breaks them, can you explain in what way? My guess is that it isn't calculating the tunings correctly...

In 1.1.4.13 everything sounded as if it was forced into a 12 notes/octave harnass (even stuff like bohlen-pierce, 24 EDO, 92 EDO... whatever I sent to it sounded like an awful out of tune (in a bad way :) ) 12 EDO) The tuning problem appears to be solved in 1.1.4.25 though. I can happily noodle in whatever my heart desires again. Also they now implemented dumping tunings from the instrument to the computer (before, it was one-way communication from pc to synth), so it's even improved a little.

--
gear: prophet rev2 16 voice, kawai NV10, casio wk-7600, Roland Integra-7, supercollider, ardour

links:

https://www.youtube.com/stefaanhimpe
https://soundcloud.com/stefaanhimpe
https://technogems.blogspot.com
https://a-touch-of-music.blogspot.com/

Re: BETA OS v1.1.4.26 Bug Report Thread
« Reply #55 on: October 10, 2018, 10:50:00 AM »
I would like to know if others are experience the same with the arp beat sync when it is set to quantize as described in this thread.

https://forum.sequential.com/index.php/topic,2988.0.html

For me its an obvious bug. An example, when I set the arp to up and relatch to on and hold is engaged its not sure that it starts with the lowest not and most time it starts with a rest (pause). This makes it impossible to use.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #56 on: October 10, 2018, 12:46:12 PM »
I would like to know if others are experience the same with the arp beat sync when it is set to quantize as described in this thread.

https://forum.sequential.com/index.php/topic,2988.0.html

For me its an obvious bug. An example, when I set the arp to up and relatch to on and hold is engaged its not sure that it starts with the lowest not and most time it starts with a rest (pause). This makes it impossible to use.

It seems to not only be when relatch is on, it's just easier to note it in that mode... to me it sounds like the ARP sequence is not relatched properly... if you play a chord without relatch, and switch quickly to a new chord when you release the previous chord, then it also sound like the new chord is not played from the beginning of the ARP sequence, even when all keys has been released before the new chord is pressed. Actually it also does this if you wait a bit before pressing the new chord.

To be honest, it actually sounds like it is not relatching at all, in any given case... it seems like the last chord you held before letting go of the keys is actually still playing "in the background" (just without the notes actually being triggered of course), so that when you hit a new chord, it just continue playing the notes from where ever it was when you press the new chord.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 12:57:02 PM by Razmo »

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #57 on: October 10, 2018, 01:02:06 PM »
I noticed that in the thread where Extempo described the ARP, he said that the ARP will always follow the blinking TAP TEMPO LED... actually it does not and that may be part of the problem with the relatching.

Try creating a simple patch that will step each time the TAP TEMPO LED light up (division setting "Quarter")... now try to hit a chord halfway thru that flashing LED... suddenly the notes trigger at various points with the LED depending on when you hit a new chord... this is certainly not right... the notes should come in, locked to the LED flashing, or at least in the correct time division of it... it certainly do not.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 01:03:51 PM by Razmo »

« Reply #58 on: October 11, 2018, 03:45:33 AM »
I noticed that in the thread where Extempo described the ARP, he said that the ARP will always follow the blinking TAP TEMPO LED... actually it does not and that may be part of the problem with the relatching.

Try creating a simple patch that will step each time the TAP TEMPO LED light up (division setting "Quarter")... now try to hit a chord halfway thru that flashing LED... suddenly the notes trigger at various points with the LED depending on when you hit a new chord... this is certainly not right... the notes should come in, locked to the LED flashing, or at least in the correct time division of it... it certainly do not.

Thanks Razmo. Tried this and I experience the same. There seems to be a multi problem with the firmware here. Hope its on the bug list.

« Reply #59 on: October 11, 2018, 03:58:33 AM »

Thanks Razmo. Tried this and I experience the same. There seems to be a multi problem with the firmware here. Hope its on the bug list.
Same arp issue here as well.
IMac Mid 2013, Cubase 9Pro, Prophet Rev 2 8voice