PRO 2 dead after Sysex Lockup

Re: PRO 2 dead after Sysex Lockup
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2018, 11:25:31 AM »
I killed the PICs in my P12 and P2 by over volting the USB hub they were attached to, do you use a powered hub?

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2018, 11:38:14 AM »
I killed the PICs in my P12 and P2 by over volting the USB hub they were attached to, do you use a powered hub?

I do use a powered hub but not for my synth midi comms. For my synths I use standard midi cables through a Motu micro lite for the distance I need. Thank you for the suggestion to check.
MophoX4, PRO 2

dslsynth

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2018, 12:40:04 PM »

In the interest of avoiding doing the same: was that difficult to do?
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2018, 10:26:29 PM »

In the interest of avoiding doing the same: was that difficult to do?

I connected the wrong power supply to the USB Hub, as long as you don't do that you should be ok :)

The Hub survived, the Electron boxes connected to it survived, the P12, P2 and a Motu Midi Express all died.

I have found the image of what a PIC32 looks like if you put 12V through the usb power trace:

« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 10:29:56 PM by BobTheDog »

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2018, 08:40:10 AM »
Unfortunately, my problems with my Pro2 continue. I finally received all of my boards back from DSI. They sent the main and forgot the other two so I had to wait an extra week for those to come back. Like expected everything worked and was set back to factory defaults. I had updated my max patch with the sysex parameter map that one user on the forums had in his CNRTL device. Thank you to goodweather for your work. I also received the sysex parameter map from DSI. I adjusted my patch to suit this map.

This time writing my sysex patch from max didn't lock the PRO2 up. The patch didn't make any sound but it didn't lock up and the name was what I wanted. Ableton synced patch. I am just trying to write the Basic patch but from Ableton. I would always be writing to U1 P1 for the patch inside Ableton. As I was trying to find the parameter that was causing the patch to not make any sound, patch volume, envelope setting etc, and writing a new sysex file to test, again, the Pro2 gets stuck in Receiving sysex file. I waited a little while. Still stuck there. I previously had exported the U1 P1 basic patch as a sysex file. I tried writing this to the Pro2. Nothing. I tried again. Nothing. So I had to do it. I power cycled the Pro2 and once again, dead. Same thing as last time. Display blank, nearly all lights are off. No response to anything. Doesn't send any midi or receive any. 

My guess is the PIC is dead again. I checked all the power supply voltages and they are good. That is the only thing I didn't send in the first time.

While I realize that trying to roll my own sysex files I must have a bad parameter somewhere that isn't correct, I can fix that. But, the same scenario happening two times, synth stays in receiving sysex message then after a power cycle it dies, there is something wrong in the FW of this instrument. There is something that gets stuck, locked up or stuck in a loop that is causing this. If the data is bad, or a parameter is bad, the file should get pitched and give the user an error indicating the file isn't valid. A bad patch sysex file should not be capable of doing this. A parameter that is larger than the specific value, let us say a value of 127 for a parameter that is a 0 or 1 shouldn't cause a huge problem.

Needless to say, this is frustrating.
MophoX4, PRO 2

« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2018, 10:23:19 AM »
I actually received a response from tech support already. I was asked to power up the Pro2 holding down Latch1. To my surprise, it worked! This must be either a new feature or was there all along. The FW in my Pro2 is current 1.3.1.36. Not sure if this is a newer beta or not.

I search the current manuals and couldn't find this instruction anywhere. So it may be a new feature or an undocumented feature. But it seemed to load a basic patch and get me going again. So if you get a blank screen, try powering up while holding down the Latch1 button. It took about 10sec but the Pro2 came back up.

So now I have to wonder, is that all that was needed to be done the first time? ::)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 10:25:27 AM by Techbuzz »
MophoX4, PRO 2

dslsynth

« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2018, 10:30:29 AM »
Interesting developments in your Pro 2 saga! Newest public beta OS is at the top of the forum. Currently its https://forum.sequential.com/index.php/topic,1223.msg14283.html#msg14283 so give it a try. And/or ask for current information from support team.

Obviously some debugging is still needed from both the OS and max patch sides of this interesting problem.
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature