Every program I made sounds like crap with OS 1.1.4.9 [SOLVED]

Gomjab

Re: Every program I made sounds like crap with OS 1.1.4.9
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2018, 07:53:40 AM »
I had one occasion last year when running the calibration routine that my Rev2 blasted out tones at full volume.  It was really loud!  I only noticed it the one time.  After that I have almost always turned off my line mixer to save my monitors and ears when calibrating.  However there have been a few times when I forgot to turn it off and there was no signal output during tuning.  Perhaps they say to discount output cables as a precaution against a rare bug that can blast the output?

Has anyone else had an occasion where their Rev2 output tones during calibration?

I ask again.  Has anyone else experienced audio output during calibration?

jg666

« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2018, 08:05:38 AM »
I had one occasion last year when running the calibration routine that my Rev2 blasted out tones at full volume.  It was really loud!  I only noticed it the one time.  After that I have almost always turned off my line mixer to save my monitors and ears when calibrating.  However there have been a few times when I forgot to turn it off and there was no signal output during tuning.  Perhaps they say to discount output cables as a precaution against a rare bug that can blast the output?

Has anyone else had an occasion where their Rev2 output tones during calibration?

No I haven't noticed that. I will make sure I have my mixer and amp turned on for the next few I do.

Somehow my original reply went missing! I haven't heard any sound come out when doing a calibration but I tend to have headphones connected to my mixer and wouldn't be wearing them whilst doing a calibration. I will keep an ear out for this whenever I do a calibration in future.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 08:17:37 AM by jg666 »
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2018, 08:12:05 AM »

I did, I'm ( you are  ) not the only one.  ;)
Not native english speaker.

Gomjab

« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2018, 08:22:49 AM »
Thanks!  Good to know it’s not an isolated incident. This could indeed explain why DSI recommends disconnecting outputs during calibration.  It is strange that it is inconsistent.

« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2018, 08:23:45 AM »
I always turn the volume to zero but I'll have a look at this the next time I do calibration.
IMac Mid 2013, Cubase 9Pro, Prophet Rev 2 8voice

« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2018, 08:26:35 AM »

I don’t yet own any dsi gear but have had both behaviours from other synths: Minitaur outputs audio on calibration whereas Subsequent is silent.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2018, 10:55:02 AM »

No... I've never experienced this, but I know that other synths like the MOOGs make these pitches while calibrating... they do not stop the output obviously... somehow the REV2 probably does that, but must have failed in doing so in your case
If you need me, follow the shadows...

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2018, 10:57:26 AM »
Thanks!  Good to know it’s not an isolated incident. This could indeed explain why DSI recommends disconnecting outputs during calibration.  It is strange that it is inconsistent.

it MAY be the reason yes... but it would be nice to know from DSI themselves, if that is indeed the case because if there is more to it, that may make the calibration bad if something is plugged in, then it would be nice to know... if it's only a matter of an accidental outburst, I'd rather turn down the main volume pot, instead of having to take out all 7 plugs i have connected to my REV2 :)

Even though DSI state that calibration is rarely needed, they ask you to do this on almost every OS update anyway, and i calibrate rather often when the ambient temperature changes, otherwise the filters are not in tune, so I do this calibration so often, that I'd really hate to have to take out 7 plugs and plug them back in each and every time, if i can avoid it... therefore i want to know in detail, WHY this unplugging is needed... if it's just about the volume, it would be a hell of a lot quicker for me to just turn down the volume... that is as easy to forget as unplugging the cables... really.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 11:00:43 AM by Razmo »

« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2018, 11:32:43 AM »

it MAY be the reason yes... but it would be nice to know from DSI themselves, if that is indeed the case because if there is more to it, that may make the calibration bad if something is plugged in, then it would be nice to know... if it's only a matter of an accidental outburst, I'd rather turn down the main volume pot, instead of having to take out all 7 plugs i have connected to my REV2 :)

Even though DSI state that calibration is rarely needed, they ask you to do this on almost every OS update anyway, and i calibrate rather often when the ambient temperature changes, otherwise the filters are not in tune, so I do this calibration so often, that I'd really hate to have to take out 7 plugs and plug them back in each and every time, if i can avoid it... therefore i want to know in detail, WHY this unplugging is needed... if it's just about the volume, it would be a hell of a lot quicker for me to just turn down the volume... that is as easy to forget as unplugging the cables... really.

I have calibrated a few times and got stuck every first time. Restart and it finishes fairly fast. I find this calibrating thing very vague.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2018, 11:40:02 AM »

I have calibrated a few times and got stuck every first time. Restart and it finishes fairly fast. I find this calibrating thing very vague.

Exactly... and it's worrying, that other do not experience this at all...

Gomjab

« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2018, 02:57:40 PM »

Totally agree!

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #51 on: August 06, 2018, 03:49:18 PM »
I have encountered something that will actually let my REV2 run thru the calibration, even if it has been on for a long time... it still pauses at some points for 10-20 seconds though, but it eventually runs thru... this happens if I instead of power cycling the REV2, hit the transpose buttons + global, and choose to erase the calibration data, and then do the calibration routine after that...

I do not know what to make of it, but i just thought I'd say it here, so that others can use that method if they so choose.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2018, 04:16:49 PM »
I made another strange discovery... reason is, that after erasing the calibration data and calibrating, the calibration data was completely off... everything sounded wacky... so I decided to just switch the REV2 off and on, and do the calibration again... while i did this I watched the flow of the numbers in the calibration display, and the first few voices run thru really fast... but it soon dawned on me, that for each voice it got thru, the passing went slower and slower... the last af the voices being quite some time about finishing...

It seems that for the calibration to slow down does not require that the REV2 is on for very long before it begins slowing down... this is really weird...

Tomorrow, when the REV2 has cooled down completely, I'll be making another calibration from a completely cold machine and see if all voices calibrate much faster... this time it went thru after a power cycle, but the machine was still warm... so I'm curious as to how the calibration goes from a cold machine... I'll know tomorrow...

« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2018, 11:24:12 PM »

Please try a little external EQ, it makes a world of difference, turn up the bass a little bit, cut the highs a little bit, and get the sound more balanced.

This is a useful suggestion. Got any good, mid-range recommendations?

Been looking for a dedicated EQ specifically for the Rev2, but digging through threads on the matter leaves the head spinning somewhat, and it’s never Rev2 specific.

I use an old Boss Bass GE-7B on my Prophet 600, which has been fine, but there doesn’t seem to be much in the way of stereo (in anyway) EQ pedals, which I’d prefer as I could keep it right on top of the Rev. I could succumb to a rack option if necessary.

Curious as to your recommendations of EQs that are working well with your Rev2.

« Reply #54 on: August 07, 2018, 01:05:00 AM »

Do you all do a calibration reset before to calibrate ? I can't remenber to have seen this before, and if it's necessary.

jg666

« Reply #55 on: August 07, 2018, 01:58:17 AM »

Do you all do a calibration reset before to calibrate ? I can't remenber to have seen this before, and if it's necessary.

I’ve never done a calibration reset.
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #56 on: August 07, 2018, 03:35:25 AM »
There is no calibration reset... there is a calibration data erase function in the service mode... for some reason when this is erased first, the calibration routine in the global menu runs faster... especially if I have my REV2 warmed up when i do it... but i got a completely wonky calibration yesterday when i did this... for some reason a power cycling is needed in my case...

I also realized, that if i powercycle quickly (less than 1sek), then the display still has lots of the details it had before power cycling, but this also result in a slower calibration afterwards... if i powercycle, but wait 20sec before turning it on again, then the display show "noise", and the calibration goes a lot faster thru...

I'm not sure what is happening, but I'm speculating about this issue being because of either some capacitors that may interfere with the calibration, or maybe it has to do with what sound you had as the current program when you initialize the calibration...

I also noticed that the first voices that it calibrates goes a lot faster then the voices following them... it's like it slow down over the course of the calibration...

I've not gotten any info from support on this yet, except a first reply that did not give me any answers or solved anything... but I'll let you know if/when I know more...

« Reply #57 on: August 07, 2018, 06:12:52 AM »
I also realized, that if i powercycle quickly (less than 1sek), then the display still has lots of the details it had before power cycling, but this also result in a slower calibration afterwards... if i powercycle, but wait 20sec before turning it on again, then the display show "noise", and the calibration goes a lot faster thru...

I can confirm this behavior. My display has always shown noise on either side of a power cycle. Initially, it worried me, but it hasn’t seemed to cause
any issues.

Also, like you, if powercycling quickly, my display will retain all the current info for a tick or 2 before going to noise and shutting down.

Always thought it was just normal behavior.

« Reply #58 on: August 07, 2018, 06:26:40 AM »

I think a new bug:  I can't enter init patch from the global menu any more. Only the manip of transpose buttons is working.

Is-it the same with you ?

PS: ::)  i did the mistake to do a calibration (warm one) with all jacks plug out, without  problems but than  had some serious voices issues when tried the synth...; Since  I did a new one in same conditions but with usb unpluged too, even if I don't think it's important, and things seem to be ok now.

« Reply #59 on: August 07, 2018, 09:33:30 AM »
I’m late to the party.

Read through the thread and want to try and see if the model i have has the same behavior.

Questions:

Does this calibration hang up happen on the latest beta only or did it happen on older firmware? Ive not updated to the newest beta and would be willing to test things since im old older firmware.

To those having issues, it would be helpful to post your serial number to see how far spread it could be and what model from the factory. Ive a 16 voice from the factory.

So I need to power up the unit and wait at least an hour before calibrating?

Ive calibrated before after updating and recall the calibration happening with no issues.

Al