Every program I made sounds like crap with OS 1.1.4.9 [SOLVED]

Re: Every program I made sounds like crap with OS 1.1.4.9
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2018, 01:52:58 AM »
Ok my calibration went through without problems after leaving it to warm up for just over 30 minutes. I have the 16 voice keyboard version which was 16 voice out of the box. All I had connected to it was the left and right out which go to my Yamaha mixer and that was turned on.

Is it worth us trying to see if there's a common factor between all those units that freeze in this situation?

Edit - I didn't delete anything before running the calibration, wasn't sure if I was supposed to do that or not? I've never deleted any previous calibration information.

It does not matter if you delete or not... it happens no matter what I do, as long as the device has been on for some time. I guess I'll have to write support and have this sorted out... I'm wondering if there has been some early revisions of the main board that sport this problem... the two REV2s I bought both came from the same retailer, so it may be that it's a certain older batch that is the problem... but I feel that now is the time for DSI to figure this out...

Yes... i do think it's worth it trying to see if there is a common reason for this... it's annoying.
Calibration process got stuck after some seconds. I switched off the rev 2 and back on and everything runs smooth within I think 20 seconds. Never had a calibration this fast. I have the 8 voice rev2.
IMac Mid 2013, Cubase 9Pro, Prophet Rev 2 8voice

jg666

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2018, 01:55:56 AM »
My calibration did run slower at the start but I left it and then it seemed to speed up.
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2018, 01:58:38 AM »
Ok my calibration went through without problems after leaving it to warm up for just over 30 minutes. I have the 16 voice keyboard version which was 16 voice out of the box. All I had connected to it was the left and right out which go to my Yamaha mixer and that was turned on.

Is it worth us trying to see if there's a common factor between all those units that freeze in this situation?

Edit - I didn't delete anything before running the calibration, wasn't sure if I was supposed to do that or not? I've never deleted any previous calibration information.

It does not matter if you delete or not... it happens no matter what I do, as long as the device has been on for some time. I guess I'll have to write support and have this sorted out... I'm wondering if there has been some early revisions of the main board that sport this problem... the two REV2s I bought both came from the same retailer, so it may be that it's a certain older batch that is the problem... but I feel that now is the time for DSI to figure this out...

Yes... i do think it's worth it trying to see if there is a common reason for this... it's annoying.
Calibration process got stuck after some seconds. I switched off the rev 2 and back on and everything runs smooth within I think 20 seconds. Never had a calibration this fast. I have the 8 voice rev2.

Seems you got the same problem then... if it is a problem... I've written support about this now, and will let you know what they say about it...
If you need me, follow the shadows...

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2018, 02:01:08 AM »

Seems you got the same problem then... if it is a problem... I've written support about this now, and will let you know what they say about it...
Thank you for your effort!
IMac Mid 2013, Cubase 9Pro, Prophet Rev 2 8voice

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2018, 02:02:13 AM »
My calibration did run slower at the start but I left it and then it seemed to speed up.

With a warmed up REV2, in my case, it usually run a few numbers fast... then at a certain number it stops for quite some time, then advances a bit... this continues for every voice until I reach a few voices in... then it simply stops... I've tried waiting several minutes, but it's just frozen... I've never let it stand for hours because I really do not believe that waiting that long is acceptable... especially not when a power cyling seems to fix it every time... something happens to either the software or the hardware when this power cycling is done that makes everything run smoothly... i have no idea why it works this way, so I'm looking forward to hear a more detailed explanation from DSI support...

« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2018, 02:05:47 AM »
Updated this evening and experienced the same strange transposing on patches - like everything got kicked down half an octave

Read through the thread and have had hangups in the calibration process previously, but not every time, so I figured I'd give this a try.

My Rev2 had been on for a couple hours when I updated. Calibration froze early on in OSC1. Powered off, powered back on. Calibration then ran without a hitch.

However, it didn't change the transposing behavior. Resetting the Global Parameters after that though seemed to do the trick.

16 voice Rev2 over here.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2018, 02:08:50 AM »
Now I will not pretend that I know how this automatic calibration really works, but my guess is that it samples the outputs of the Curtis chips somehow, and then measure stuff to be able to create these calibration data... my guess is that something is interfering with these measurements when the REV2 has been on for a while making it harder for the calibration to finish and do it's measurements... even if a calibration goes thru, it may even do this at vastly different speeds... this is why I suspect that it's a hardware thing, and not really a software thing... the software is the same every time, and it's relying on measurements to be within a certain range for a calibration to be accepted I guess, but for some reason the expected measurement never happen, and so it stand in a loop waiting for that measurement to come (which is obviously never do)...

This is speculation... but I have no other explanation for this behavior...

jg666

« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2018, 02:10:27 AM »

With a warmed up REV2, in my case, it usually run a few numbers fast... then at a certain number it stops for quite some time, then advances a bit... this continues for every voice until I reach a few voices in... then it simply stops... I've tried waiting several minutes, but it's just frozen... I've never let it stand for hours because I really do not believe that waiting that long is acceptable... especially not when a power cyling seems to fix it every time... something happens to either the software or the hardware when this power cycling is done that makes everything run smoothly... i have no idea why it works this way, so I'm looking forward to hear a more detailed explanation from DSI support...

Yes you're right , it does need an explanation. When I said mine went slower it only appeared to stop for about 20 seconds maximum on the early part of it. I would say that several minutes is an indication that it has frozen.

It's a shame you can't change the title of this thread to attract more people who have the same problem to post :)
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2018, 02:21:35 AM »
Updated this evening and experienced the same strange transposing on patches - like everything got kicked down half an octave

Read through the thread and have had hangups in the calibration process previously, but not every time, so I figured I'd give this a try.

My Rev2 had been on for a couple hours when I updated. Calibration froze early on in OSC1. Powered off, powered back on. Calibration then ran without a hitch.

However, it didn't change the transposing behavior. Resetting the Global Parameters after that though seemed to do the trick.

16 voice Rev2 over here.

Seems this freezing is quite widespread... you can follow this thread as I'll post what support tells me about it, unless they decide to participate in this thread directly... I feel there is a need for users to know about this... if it can be fixed, or if we simply have to live with the "power cycle trick" every time we calibrate...

I see users which run into problems like this from time to time... their machines hanging, or behaving strange after an OS update because of all these diffuse things you have to do after an update... resetting globals, calibrating osc/filter, calibrating wheels... and some accordingly do not have to if they are on a higher OS prior to the update, other do, and again, then people who did not have to do these calibrations, have to do them anyway (like I had to) and have to find out by trial and error.

For me it's a chaotic procedure every time a new OS arrives... having to do calibration, global reset, wheels reset and even enter service mode to erase calibration data as well sometimes, before i get a working machine again... the order of the procedures are not really that clear, and on top of that I have to take power cycling into account to make the calibration...

I don't understand why we have to do a reset of the globals manually.. if DSI know that a reset is neede, why don't they just do this reset when the OS has been updated!? ... if a calibration is also needed, why not let it do this automatically too, when the globals had been reset!? ... that puzzles me a bit sometimes.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2018, 02:24:05 AM »

There have already been a thread about the calibration freeze... but DSI did not give any answers that solve anything or makes you wiser on what is going on... but when I get a response from DSI via support, I'll probably just start a new thread about the subject, if I feel it's necessary...

jg666

« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2018, 02:29:34 AM »

There have already been a thread about the calibration freeze... but DSI did not give any answers that solve anything or makes you wiser on what is going on... but when I get a response from DSI via support, I'll probably just start a new thread about the subject, if I feel it's necessary...

Ok cheers and good luck. I have to admit that I find the update processes a bit daunting as I'm never completely sure what I should be doing! I have the SoundTower software so I always do a backup via that before updating. I have tried the dump option but it's never completed properly. I even had problems loading a bank to the Rev2 that I purchased from GEOSynths via the SoundTower software - it got so far (around about preset 100) and then stopped. I then had to transfer the rest over to the Rev2 one at a time.

I have the Pro2 as well and that lost all my Cue/Play List settings when I did the last update. I know I should have done a backup but I didn't expect that to happen!

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2018, 02:39:35 AM »

Ok cheers and good luck. I have to admit that I find the update processes a bit daunting as I'm never completely sure what I should be doing! I have the SoundTower software so I always do a backup via that before updating. I have tried the dump option but it's never completed properly. I even had problems loading a bank to the Rev2 that I purchased from GEOSynths via the SoundTower software - it got so far (around about preset 100) and then stopped. I then had to transfer the rest over to the Rev2 one at a time.

I have the Pro2 as well and that lost all my Cue/Play List settings when I did the last update. I know I should have done a backup but I didn't expect that to happen!

Dodgy MIDI interfaces, dodgy MIDI dump software... there can be many culprits... DSI advice on using MIDIOX, but that one does not work for me, and obviously needs arcane settings before working... I found that sending from Cakewalk Sonar works every time, no matter if I'm on USB or MIDI DIN... both for OS updates and dumping programs and banks.

Most of my bank management I handle with my SoundDiver editor though, and that works like a dream, and is EXTREMELY FAST when using USB... I can read all eight banks into the editor in less than 3 seconds, and write them almost just as fast... so when it comes to MIDI communication, it's 99% likely that your problem is with either your MIDI DIN interface, or even more likely; the software you use to do the transfers.

jg666

« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2018, 02:44:49 AM »

Dodgy MIDI interfaces, dodgy MIDI dump software... there can be many culprits... DSI advice on using MIDIOX, but that one does not work for me, and obviously needs arcane settings before working... I found that sending from Cakewalk Sonar works every time, no matter if I'm on USB or MIDI DIN... both for OS updates and dumping programs and banks.

Most of my bank management I handle with my SoundDiver editor though, and that works like a dream, and is EXTREMELY FAST when using USB... I can read all eight banks into the editor in less than 3 seconds, and write them almost just as fast... so when it comes to MIDI communication, it's 99% likely that your problem is with either your MIDI DIN interface, or even more likely; the software you use to do the transfers.

Thanks I’ll do some further investigation. I’m using USB rather than a midi connection but I am using a USB extension cable so I’ll try different cables and a different port on my PC. I’ve had problems with MIDIOX as well so might investigate other software.

Gomjab

« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2018, 04:51:11 AM »
Would really be nice if some light was shed on this subject... I've asked about the calibration in another thread, but no one at DSI obviously want to discuss why these things are the way they are...

I can write them again:

1. Why is it necessary to take out the plugs before a calibration?
2. Why will the calibration always freeze if the REV2 has been on for some time?
3. Why do you constantly advice to do calibrations and global reset, when the manual state it's not needed for more than once in the REV2's lifetime?
4. Why is there even a calibration data erase function in the service mode? does REV2 store more than one calibration data set for different ambient temperatures?

Personally I'm a bit tired of the calibration freezing up... why is it doing this!?

Hey Razmo

I have a theory for number 1.

I had one occasion last year when running the calibration routine that my Rev2 blasted out tones at full volume.  It was really loud!  I only noticed it the one time.  After that I have almost always turned off my line mixer to save my monitors and ears when calibrating.  However there have been a few times when I forgot to turn it off and there was no signal output during tuning.  Perhaps they say to discount output cables as a precaution against a rare bug that can blast the output?

Has anyone else had an occasion where their Rev2 output tones during calibration?

I can also add my voice to the chorus of people that sometime have the calibration process freeze and have to power cycle.
Also your list is shrinking after my search of the forum found the answer to deleting the cal data from the tabletop Rev2  ;)
Hopefully DSI will eventually  answer your remaining questions though I know some have been bouncing around for a long time.

Cheers
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 04:52:53 AM by Gomjab »

« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2018, 10:07:26 AM »
I suspect that the calibration routine is first using the previous data and checking it for accuracy, in order to save time, and only if the result is not satisfactory then it proceeds to calculate a new value with the old data as a starting point. But it might run into a dead end when the new calculation results are always worse than the previously saved data, and thus the calibration gets stuck ?

Just speculating, since no one from DSI is willing to talk about it.
BTW, my REV2 often got stuck in calibration right after a firmware update, no matter if it was cold or warmed-up.
I couldn't tell you this time, since I won't be updating it. It works fine enough as it is with 1.1.4.5.

One question: is it possible to downgrade to a previous O.S. version from a higher one ? I still have all the files, but I'm not sure that the REV2 would go into firmware update mode upon receiving older files than the one currently in it (just in case I decide to go ahead with 1.1.4.9 and want to revert back to the previous one) ?

« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 10:10:02 AM by AlainHubert »
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2018, 11:37:36 AM »
@Razmo Tried the calibration after having my rev2 on for about an hour. It did not freeze. I'm on 1.1.4.9 eight voise version.

I'm experience trouble with the new arp beat sync settings. Will open a new thread about this.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2018, 11:51:26 AM »
@Razmo Tried the calibration after having my rev2 on for about an hour. It did not freeze. I'm on 1.1.4.9 eight voise version.

I'm experience trouble with the new arp beat sync settings. Will open a new thread about this.

And did you shut off the REV2 before you made the calibration? ... this is important information because if you did, it would pass thru... mine does... it only happens if you turn on the REV2, wait for about half an hour, and then (without a power cycle) start the calibration...

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2018, 11:56:26 AM »
I suspect that the calibration routine is first using the previous data and checking it for accuracy, in order to save time, and only if the result is not satisfactory then it proceeds to calculate a new value with the old data as a starting point. But it might run into a dead end when the new calculation results are always worse than the previously saved data, and thus the calibration gets stuck ?

BTW, my REV2 often got stuck in calibration right after a firmware update, no matter if it was cold or warmed-up.
I couldn't tell you this time, since I won't be updating it. It works fine enough as it is with 1.1.4.5.

One question: is it possible to downgrade to a previous O.S. version from a higher one ? I still have all the files, but I'm not sure that the REV2 would go into firmware update mode upon receiving older files than the one currently in it (just in case I decide to go ahead with 1.1.4.9 and want to revert back to the previous one) ?

Still it does not really say anything about why a simple quick power down and up makes everything work smoothly... I hardly believe that the chips can heat down in just 5-10 seconds which it takes to power cycle the REV2... I don't know what could cause this, this is why I need DSI's explanation of this... guessing will not get us anywhere near an explanation... i need to know, if I have a defect unit, if I have got an earlier board revision that does this or something else that might be the reason, so that I know if I have the rights to have another machine regarding warranty... but with so many experiencing this, I believe more in a board revision fault... a batch of bad devices or similar, instead of my unit alone being the reason for this... I've had two REV2's with the exact same behavior.

« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2018, 01:40:12 PM »
And did you shut off the REV2 before you made the calibration? ... this is important information because if you did, it would pass thru... mine does... it only happens if you turn on the REV2, wait for about half an hour, and then (without a power cycle) start the calibration...

No I did not shut off the rev2 before the calibration.
I just did a new calibration again. The rev 2 has been on since my last response some hours ago.Same result. I have only experienced one freeze before a few months ago after buying the synth used.

« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2018, 07:27:14 AM »

Yes you can back level the firmware, I've just done mine from 1.1.4.9 back to 1.14.5 (until it's clear what bugs there are following the latetest 'beta' update).