Every program I made sounds like crap with OS 1.1.4.9 [SOLVED]

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
Do any of you out there have problems with the new OS 1.1.4.9? ... it sounds like all of my B layers are transposed wrong, and even programs that use only layer A sounds wrong... I'm amazed that DSI did not hear this, it is on god damned every program!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 02:27:01 PM by extempo »
If you need me, follow the shadows...

Re: Every program I made sounds like crap with OS 1.1.4.9
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2018, 09:33:05 AM »
Even after power cycle & calibration?

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2018, 09:34:46 AM »
I made an erase of the calibration data... switched the REV2 off and on, did a globals reset and then a calibration of the oscillators and filters... now everything sounds fine...

I'm a little confused because at first, right after the OS update, I reset the globals, then did a calibration.. and that resulted in every program sounding wrong... after that I did another calibration, still without any luck...

This OS update and calibration/global reset procedure seems to be one big mystery still... why do I need to take out all plugs before the calibration, why do I need to reset the globals and recallibrate every time, when DSI state in the manual it's only needed maybe once in a lifetime... nothing of these procedures makes any sense to me really...

on top of that... the OS update stated that if I was on an OS higher than 1.1.3, I'd not even have to do these global resetting and calibration... still, I was on OS 1.1.4.5 when I upgraded to 1.1.4.9...

Would really be nice if some light was shed on this subject... I've asked about the calibration in another thread, but no one at DSI obviously want to discuss why these things are the way they are...

I can write them again:

1. Why is it necessary to take out the plugs before a calibration?
2. Why will the calibration always freeze if the REV2 has been on for some time?
3. Why do you constantly advice to do calibrations and global reset, when the manual state it's not needed for more than once in the REV2's lifetime?
4. Why is there even a calibration data erase function in the service mode? does REV2 store more than one calibration data set for different ambient temperatures?

Personally I'm a bit tired of the calibration freezing up... why is it doing this!?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 09:36:59 AM by Razmo »

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2018, 10:36:39 AM »
 :-\
I made an erase of the calibration data... switched the REV2 off and on, did a globals reset and then a calibration of the oscillators and filters... now everything sounds fine...

I'm a little confused because at first, right after the OS update, I reset the globals, then did a calibration.. and that resulted in every program sounding wrong... after that I did another calibration, still without any luck...

This OS update and calibration/global reset procedure seems to be one big mystery still... why do I need to take out all plugs before the calibration, why do I need to reset the globals and recallibrate every time, when DSI state in the manual it's only needed maybe once in a lifetime... nothing of these procedures makes any sense to me really...

on top of that... the OS update stated that if I was on an OS higher than 1.1.3, I'd not even have to do these global resetting and calibration... still, I was on OS 1.1.4.5 when I upgraded to 1.1.4.9...

Would really be nice if some light was shed on this subject... I've asked about the calibration in another thread, but no one at DSI obviously want to discuss why these things are the way they are...

I can write them again:

1. Why is it necessary to take out the plugs before a calibration?
2. Why will the calibration always freeze if the REV2 has been on for some time?
3. Why do you constantly advice to do calibrations and global reset, when the manual state it's not needed for more than once in the REV2's lifetime?
4. Why is there even a calibration data erase function in the service mode? does REV2 store more than one calibration data set for different ambient temperatures?

Personally I'm a bit tired of the calibration freezing up... why is it doing this!?
Hi Razmo. I am sorry that you have problems with freezing and patches sounding different. The rev 2 was my first hardware Synth and I own it since one year now. I did several calibrations and never got stuck and I never unplug any cables. I made about 60 patches which all sound fine after updating the OS. So no problems here. I hope you get some answers from dsi support which will help you to sort out your problems.
IMac Mid 2013, Cubase 9Pro, Prophet Rev 2 8voice

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2018, 12:14:02 PM »
I am not the only one experiencing this freezing... It happened with two REV2s I've had, both bought completely new... Others have had the problem as well... The funny thing is that it allways happen after the machine has warmed up... And if I quickly turn power off and on and do the calibration again, then it run thru like nothing ever happened... That is why I am fearing it is a hardware related issue, and not a software issue.

jg666

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2018, 02:23:00 PM »
I’ve not had the freezing issue when calibrating but I have seen a few people mention it on here. With this latest update I also had to calibrate the wheels, something I’d never had to do before. Neither of my wheels did anything on any patch until I re-calibrated them.
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2018, 03:44:00 PM »
I’ve not had the freezing issue when calibrating but I have seen a few people mention it on here. With this latest update I also had to calibrate the wheels, something I’d never had to do before. Neither of my wheels did anything on any patch until I re-calibrated them.

But have you tried letting your REV2 stay on for about 30-60 minutes, and then do the calibration? ... it's very important that you do NOT turn off the REV2 before doing this... this is the weird thing about the issue... I can warm up my REV2 for an hour, then do a calibration, and it WILL freeze during the calibration... if I then make a quick switch off and then on and try calibrating again, it goes smoothly thru the calibration... at this point the REV2 is still warmed up... that is what really puzzles me...

This is not something that happens occationally... it's every time my REV2 has warmed up that this happens... it happened with the first REV2 I had too... others have reported the same issue...

It annoys me that some people have this, and others do not because this makes me fear that I have a faulty REV2 here... even though it's not likely that the same issue should be with two different REV2's bought with almost a year in between... I wonder if it's a certain batch that has this "feature"...

jg666

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2018, 03:51:14 PM »

But have you tried letting your REV2 stay on for about 30-60 minutes, and then do the calibration? ... it's very important that you do NOT turn off the REV2 before doing this... this is the weird thing about the issue... I can warm up my REV2 for an hour, then do a calibration, and it WILL freeze during the calibration... if I then make a quick switch off and then on and try calibrating again, it goes smoothly thru the calibration... at this point the REV2 is still warmed up... that is what really puzzles me...

This is not something that happens occationally... it's every time my REV2 has warmed up that this happens... it happened with the first REV2 I had too... others have reported the same issue...

It annoys me that some people have this, and others do not because this makes me fear that I have a faulty REV2 here... even though it's not likely that the same issue should be with two different REV2's bought with almost a year in between... I wonder if it's a certain batch that has this "feature"...

No I’ve not tried that. I’ll give it a go over the next few days and let you know. I assume that when it freezes it is OK to turn it off and on again?
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2018, 03:57:05 PM »

No I’ve not tried that. I’ll give it a go over the next few days and let you know. I assume that when it freezes it is OK to turn it off and on again?

Certainly... that is what I do every time...

The reason I wait until it has warmed up is to be certain that the filters will be in tune when the device has warmed up... i never calibrate from a cold machine because then all programs I make where playing the resonant filter will sound out of tune... so my machine has to be warmed up before I calibrate it... therefore that is my usual procedure: Turn on... wait 30 minutes, calibrate (it freezes), then switch off and on, and calibrate again... then everything is fine...

it's just a weird way to have to do this...

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2018, 04:59:06 PM »
Since all on the new features and bug corrections listed do not concern me (I simply play and directly record the REV2 and don't use MIDI with it, nor do I use the convoluted sequencer/arpeggiator), I'm going to skip this update. Especially if it introduces new bugs that make everything sound wrong...
In fact, I'm thinking more and more about selling the REV2 and get something better suited to my needs. I'm slowly realizing that I might never get used to those harsh sounding CEM filters.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 05:01:45 PM by AlainHubert »
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2018, 09:23:14 PM »
I'm slowly realizing that I might never get used to those harsh sounding CEM filters.

Please try a little external EQ, it makes a world of difference, turn up the bass a little bit, cut the highs a little bit, and get the sound more balanced.  It's not just the filters, it's the sum of the whole analog chain, it's too bright and too light in the low end, just fix that and it's like a totally new synth, with a classic analog sound.
Moog Voyager, Novation Peak, Waldorf Microwave XT, Nord Wave, Emu Audity 2000, Yamaha SY85 & TG500, Waldorf Pulse+, Yamaha FS1R, Sequential Pro One, Korg Wavestation A/D, Roland Juno-60, Yamaha CS-15, MFB Tanzbar, Crumar Bit-99, Emu Emax I, Casio FZ-20M, 12U of Eurorack.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2018, 12:20:22 AM »
Since all on the new features and bug corrections listed do not concern me (I simply play and directly record the REV2 and don't use MIDI with it, nor do I use the convoluted sequencer/arpeggiator), I'm going to skip this update. Especially if it introduces new bugs that make everything sound wrong...
In fact, I'm thinking more and more about selling the REV2 and get something better suited to my needs. I'm slowly realizing that I might never get used to those harsh sounding CEM filters.

As I wrote later, the sound got right, after I did the right order of actions with calibration after the OS update... It sounds fine now.

The thread is now about why these calibrations are needed, why I had to do them at all, when DSI stated that it was not necessary unless I was previously on OS 1.1.3... I was on 1.1.4.5, and had to do a calibration anyway, and other users experienced that even the wheels had to be calibrated... On top of this I am tired of not knowing why my REVs and other users experience consistent freezing in the calibration when the machine has warmed up... A subject DSI continue to ignore in here when asked, or try to talk around with unsatisfactory answers... I begin wondering if it is a hardware design problem, that DSI would rather not talk about, but I'll keep bringing this up until I get a satisfactory answer.

jg666

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2018, 12:29:20 AM »
My Rev2 has been switched on for 20 minutes, so I'm going to leave it another 10 minutes and then try a calibration.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2018, 12:33:43 AM »
My Rev2 has been switched on for 20 minutes, so I'm going to leave it another 10 minutes and then try a calibration.

I appreciate that you're trying it out, so I can know if this is just my luck with the two REV2s I've had, or if this is a common issue.

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2018, 12:37:40 AM »

I appreciate that you're trying it out, so I can know if this is just my luck with the two REV2s I've had, or if this is a common issue.
I'll also give it a try this afternoon and let you know.
IMac Mid 2013, Cubase 9Pro, Prophet Rev 2 8voice

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2018, 12:38:33 AM »
It seems that something was edited in the OS thread since it was posted... and as far as I can see, it's the line in CMBD's comment bellow that state that you must do a global reset when updated because of new global parameters... that line was not there before... so the reason for the weird transposition of layer B and other stuff was probably because of this missing action.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2018, 12:39:53 AM »

I'll also give it a try this afternoon and let you know.

Thank you! ... i appreciate it because if a lot of users do not have this issue, I'll have to write support and have them look into this.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2018, 12:58:00 AM »
As a sidenote: one of the things I liked seeing in the new OS update was that the Edit Buffer dumps had been fixed... I've tested it thoroughly, and can say that it now works as intended... Layers behave correctly, and i can now browse my presets in my SoundDiver editor without having to constantly press the "stack A+B" button after each and every dump to the edit buffer...

jg666

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2018, 01:01:18 AM »
Ok my calibration went through without problems after leaving it to warm up for just over 30 minutes. I have the 16 voice keyboard version which was 16 voice out of the box. All I had connected to it was the left and right out which go to my Yamaha mixer and that was turned on.

Is it worth us trying to see if there's a common factor between all those units that freeze in this situation?

Edit - I didn't delete anything before running the calibration, wasn't sure if I was supposed to do that or not? I've never deleted any previous calibration information.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 01:26:46 AM by jg666 »

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2018, 01:39:21 AM »
Ok my calibration went through without problems after leaving it to warm up for just over 30 minutes. I have the 16 voice keyboard version which was 16 voice out of the box. All I had connected to it was the left and right out which go to my Yamaha mixer and that was turned on.

Is it worth us trying to see if there's a common factor between all those units that freeze in this situation?

Edit - I didn't delete anything before running the calibration, wasn't sure if I was supposed to do that or not? I've never deleted any previous calibration information.

It does not matter if you delete or not... it happens no matter what I do, as long as the device has been on for some time. I guess I'll have to write support and have this sorted out... I'm wondering if there has been some early revisions of the main board that sport this problem... the two REV2s I bought both came from the same retailer, so it may be that it's a certain older batch that is the problem... but I feel that now is the time for DSI to figure this out...

Yes... i do think it's worth it trying to see if there is a common reason for this... it's annoying.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 01:40:56 AM by Razmo »