Rev2 causes Cubase to lock up / crash

Rev2 causes Cubase to lock up / crash
« on: August 06, 2018, 08:49:28 AM »
hi,

I'm a new owner of a lovely Rev2... it sounds amazing, really intuitive to use, but unfortunately it causes my DAW (Cubase 9.5) to lock up randomly. I run a really stable system with legit software so crashes are incredibly rare; I've had several in an hour today, DAW is stable until I start using Rev2 with it. I'm suspecting it's to do with midi CC as the lockups afaik happen when I'm automating something.

I'm on the default (factory) OS. I've contacted support but not heard back yet, online docu suggests not to update the OS unless recommended by support so I've left it for now. Has anyone else experienced this and / or found a fix?

Re: Rev2 causes Cubase to lock up / crash
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 11:29:25 AM »
hi,

I'm a new owner of a lovely Rev2... it sounds amazing, really intuitive to use, but unfortunately it causes my DAW (Cubase 9.5) to lock up randomly. I run a really stable system with legit software so crashes are incredibly rare; I've had several in an hour today, DAW is stable until I start using Rev2 with it. I'm suspecting it's to do with midi CC as the lockups afaik happen when I'm automating something.

I'm on the default (factory) OS. I've contacted support but not heard back yet, online docu suggests not to update the OS unless recommended by support so I've left it for now. Has anyone else experienced this and / or found a fix?

I use Cubase Artists 9.5. Works like a charm. The only thing I can imagine is that you midi cannot handle all the controller changes you are sending (maybe even NRPN) but in my case it works fine. Do you use USB or MIDI port?

Maybe you have a midi loop.

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 04:08:13 PM »
Thanks for your comment, really helpful to hear from someone using the same software.

I did some more testing earlier, and am pretty sure part of the issue is when 'Local Control' is set to 'on'. At least, the freeze happened fairly soon after I switched that on. Just confirmed again right now, DAW is stable until 'Local control' is set to 'on'

I'm transmitting via usb. I saw some posts on other forums where people had to use midi cables to get things stable., so if you're using usb with Cubase I really hope you can help me figure this out... currently I've got an awesome synth that in effect becomes a desktop with no front panel when used with Cubase haha.

Maybe it's relevant, but I've been unable to work out how to use nrpn with Cubase so have it set to trans / rec midi cc, so out of interest how are you automating parameters from DAW? I found a pretty longwinded guide to setting up a hardware instrument in Cubase via creating a new midi instrument panel, but it involved setting up each individual knob, slider and dial and designating it nrpn... is that what I need to do? Longwinded or not if that's what needs to be done I'll set some time aside tomorrow.

S Y Z Y G Y X

• WWW.SYZYGYXMUSIC.COM
    • S Y Z Y G Y X
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 04:15:04 PM »
Hey, when I first got my Rev2 i had major issues with running the Rev2 via USB midi to Logic.  Every time I would turn a knob on the Rev2 it would freeze up and get stuck on a note...i went back n forth with DSI support for days with no luck resolving the issue.  Before I was going to return the Rev2 to Sweetwater I decided to try running the Rev2 via midi into my MOTU midi interface...that solved all my problems, so if you have a midi interface try running it that way see if that fixes your problem. 
SEQUENTIAL Pro 3, DSI Prophet 12, DSI Prophet Rev2-8, Moog Subsequent 37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Novation Bass Station 2, BOSS VE500, MOTU Micro Lite, AKAI APC240 MKII, SSL Fusion, UAD Apollo X6, MacBook Pro 2017, ADAM A7X Monitors, Logic X
www.syzygyxmusic.com
https://syzygy-x.bandcamp.com

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 08:53:49 PM »
I use Cubase 9.5 Pro and don't have any issues. You should definitely switch local to off to avoid midi loops. I have connected the rev 2 via USB.
IMac Mid 2013, Cubase 9Pro, Prophet Rev 2 8voice

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2018, 10:11:13 AM »
Hey, when I first got my Rev2 i had major issues with running the Rev2 via USB midi to Logic.  Every time I would turn a knob on the Rev2 it would freeze up and get stuck on a note...i went back n forth with DSI support for days with no luck resolving the issue.

Sounds like exactly the same issue. Were you running it out of the box with the basic factory OS? Support has been excellent for me, very responsive... advised me to update the OS, touch wood but it seems to have solved the issue. I just had a session making a lead, local control set to On, going back and forth changing things on the hardware (albeit gingerly haha) without any freezes. Fingers crossed.

My interface is a UAD Apollo so I have no midi ins, but if I continue to have issues I'm sure I have a midi-to-usb converter somewhere so will give that a go. Thanks for the tip.

I use Cubase 9.5 Pro and don't have any issues. You should definitely switch local to off to avoid midi loops. I have connected the rev 2 via USB.

I've got it on for now and it's working fine, out of interest... how do you use your Rev2 with a DAW if you have local control set to Off? Seems that reduces it to a box with audio outs (albeit a lovely-sounding box).

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2018, 10:17:50 AM »
Hey, when I first got my Rev2 i had major issues with running the Rev2 via USB midi to Logic.  Every time I would turn a knob on the Rev2 it would freeze up and get stuck on a note...i went back n forth with DSI support for days with no luck resolving the issue.

Sounds like exactly the same issue. Were you running it out of the box with the basic factory OS? Support has been excellent for me, very responsive... advised me to update the OS, touch wood but it seems to have solved the issue. I just had a session making a lead, local control set to On, going back and forth changing things on the hardware (albeit gingerly haha) without any freezes. Fingers crossed.

My interface is a UAD Apollo so I have no midi ins, but if I continue to have issues I'm sure I have a midi-to-usb converter somewhere so will give that a go. Thanks for the tip.

I've got it on for now and it's working fine, out of interest... how do you use your Rev2 with a DAW if you have local control set to Off? Seems that reduces it to a box with audio outs (albeit a lovely-sounding box).
I use it with codeknobs vst editor so I am able to either turn knobs or fiddle with the editor. I definitely prefer turning knobs 🙂
IMac Mid 2013, Cubase 9Pro, Prophet Rev 2 8voice