OB-6: Do some of the LEDs on the panel half glow at times?

OB-6: Do some of the LEDs on the panel half glow at times?
« on: August 01, 2018, 05:00:24 AM »
The module version of the OB-6 just arrived yesterday and I think I may have a few issues. When, for example, the top Velocity LED is lit, the LED on the Manual button sort of half glows. When the lower Velocity LED is lit, the red Globals LED half (quarter?) glows. There are quite a few LEDs that do this (many of the patch number / menu buttons). It seems like there may be some sort of short somewhere.

The other issue is there is no sound when I first turn the unit on sometimes. If I turn off, then back on then I get audio. When there is no sound, there is nothing I can do to restore it. It's not the settings. I can try Manual mode, patches, starting the sequencer, initializing a new patch - there is just no sound. If I turn off then on, suddenly it works. It's done this every time it's sat off for an extended period of time so far. So even if the LED light bleeding thing is normal, it's going to have to go back for this :( Unless this a normal warm up type thing for its VCOs? Seems unlikely.

Re: OB-6: Do some of the LEDs on the panel half glow at times?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 08:07:31 AM »
That definitely does not sound normal, especially the sound issues.

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 08:44:30 AM »
There are some very slight inconsistencies in the glowing of the LEDs, but not to the point of some of them only half glowing.
As for the no sound issue, there was a firmware update that corrected this (mine did that a few times when I first got it, but it went away after that update).

Make sure your firmware is the latest one.

If after that the issue is still there, and the LEDs are really half glowing, I would contact DSI support about it.

Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 09:17:47 AM »
As for the no sound issue, there was a firmware update that corrected this (mine did that a few times when I first got it, but it went away after that update).

Glad to hear that - it gives me hope. I'd rather not part with this thing for a while as the sound it makes when I press the keys is pretty addictive to listen to. A few weeks of cold sweats and restless nights does not sound fun.

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2018, 09:47:41 AM »
At the time of my last reply, I wasn't in front of my OB6 module. But after checking specifically the issue with the Manual LED being half lit when the Velocity of the Filter envelope is lit, I noticed that the Manual LED is indeed very very dimly glowing (not half lit though). I hadn't noticed that before. I guess it's probably normal...
But if they glow to the point of being easily visible, perhaps creating some confusion about their on or off state, it would be wise to contact DSI support about it, as you might possibly have a defective unit ?

« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 09:54:39 AM by AlainHubert »
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2018, 10:07:45 AM »
The LED thing sounds a bit like what happens on my Subsequent 37. I put it down to light leakage from adjacent LEDs.

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2018, 10:17:28 AM »
But if they glow to the point of being easily visible

It's actually pretty dim. I don't think I would have noticed it if I was not trying to look for a problem. Thanks for checking.

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2018, 11:00:17 AM »
But if they glow to the point of being easily visible

It's actually pretty dim. I don't think I would have noticed it if I was not trying to look for a problem. Thanks for checking.

You're welcome. Enjoy your OB6 !

The LED thing sounds a bit like what happens on my Subsequent 37. I put it down to light leakage from adjacent LEDs.

I doubt that this could be the case here, since some of the LEDs affected are physically far apart. It's probably more a case of multiplexed LED driver electrical leakage...