Trying to figure out my midi setup.

LoboLives

Trying to figure out my midi setup.
« on: July 30, 2018, 07:13:09 PM »
So I created a sequence in my software MIDI sequencer and I’m trying to get it to play my hardware gear. Now I’m assuming I’m nit doing this properly but I have the USB out of the computer and going to the USB in on my Prophet X, from there I have a midi thru cable going to my Prophet 6 and a midi thru from there going to my Moog and then a MIDI out from the Moog to my Tempest. I have each on a different midi channel but when I play the sequencer the only thing that sounds is the PX. I tried to change midi ports, cables and configurations but I can’t get it to work. I’m assuming this is why a MIDI interface is required?

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
Re: Trying to figure out my midi setup.
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 10:45:42 PM »
Funny, would never think I'd be MIDI troubleshooting in this forum, heheh.

I've gone through the MIDI implementation section of the PX manual, and it's looking like the MIDI THRU is din only.  I can't find anywhere that talks about what is sent on the THRU port, so it would be safe to assume it is a simple passthru of the what is received on the MIDI IN din port.  A find/search of the manual for "USB" confirms there is no mention of USB MIDI THRU functionality.

If you don't own a USB MIDI interface yet, I recommend something from the Iconnectivity range.  I have a simple MIO4 that works brilliantly as a 4x4 router + 8 port USB MIDI host (via your own multiport hub) and computer interface.  Really easy to set up and use and the company are really really helpful and all about the users.  The USB MIDI host is worth the price of admission alone.

LoboLives

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 11:06:38 PM »
I was looking at the MOTU FastLane myself. I usually use hardware sequencers and I don’t have a problem with those but it’s the computer sequencing that’s giving my Trouble. Cause even the sequencer information isn’t passing through the PX to the other synths so I must be doing something wrong.

megamarkd

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 11:16:01 PM »
MOTU seems to charge extra for that unicorn on their gear.

What other instruments/controllers do you own that may have a USB MIDI THRU function?  Try swapping out the PX for another device and run the sequence into the PX via MIDI DIN.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 12:10:36 AM by megamarkd »

LoboLives

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2018, 11:32:14 PM »

What other instruments/controllers do you own that may have a USB MIDI THRU function?  Try swapping out the PX and for another device and run the sequence into the PX via MIDI DIN.

None that have USB midi thru...hmm looks like I will probably have to get an interface.

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2018, 12:17:18 AM »

What other instruments/controllers do you own that may have a USB MIDI THRU function?  Try swapping out the PX and for another device and run the sequence into the PX via MIDI DIN.

None that have USB midi thru...hmm looks like I will probably have to get an interface.

A midi interface will also help to prevent any ground loops. I noticed this with an Odyssey module using the low level output. Using DIN midi the signal was clean but with USB midi there was noise, not just noise but crackles, pops and whistles coming through the USB ground. The ground in a PC is notoriously noisy and as most synths are unbalanced (power supply ground = signal ground) this noise can and will leak through into the audio signal. DIN midi connections are optically isolated so there is no ground connection.
I use two Iconnectivity interfaces myself and all synths are connected using DIN midi, only controllers are connected via usb.

LoboLives

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2018, 02:02:30 PM »
I also have a MIDI Solutions T8 Thru Rack. So would I use the MOTU Fastlane interface and take the midi out from that, put it in the MIDI in of the T8 and then have all the MIDI out cables go to each of the respective synths?

megamarkd

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2018, 06:34:20 PM »
I also have a MIDI Solutions T8 Thru Rack. So would I use the MOTU Fastlane interface and take the midi out from that, put it in the MIDI in of the T8 and then have all the MIDI out cables go to each of the respective synths?

Run a Fastlane out into your T8.  Run the T8 outs to your instruments.  If all are set to the correct MIDI channels, all will be good.

I entertained the idea of a Fastlane, it's a simple interface and if you don't have the MIDI equivalent of a LAN should be fine.  It also comes in a range of colours, something that was rather important when presenting on "The Inventors" (as was "Is it safe for the kids?").  I like the transparent green, it would hi-lite my bright orange Microgranny 2. The MIO is white, the ME80P is cream, the MSB2+ is black as is that odd thing from the ABC and the V3.  The Merge4 is brushed silver.  I'm serious when I say I need more bright colours n my MIDI world.  It's all too dull for something to do with music. ;)

A midi interface will also help to prevent any ground loops. I noticed this with an Odyssey module using the low level output. Using DIN midi the signal was clean but with USB midi there was noise, not just noise but crackles, pops and whistles coming through the USB ground. The ground in a PC is notoriously noisy and as most synths are unbalanced (power supply ground = signal ground) this noise can and will leak through into the audio signal. DIN midi connections are optically isolated so there is no ground connection.
I use two Iconnectivity interfaces myself and all synths are connected using DIN midi, only controllers are connected via usb.

Good point about the ground loop.  I've never had whistles and ricebubbles though, but I only plug-into a computer if I'm programming a controller or changing a routing rule.
I've had a second MIO on the list for awhile now, but like all musical gear that doesn't actually make sound, it keeps sliding down.  Just the number of MIDI leads that can be removed by using the USB host is wonderful, besides all the routing and processing functions.

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2018, 11:07:32 AM »

What other instruments/controllers do you own that may have a USB MIDI THRU function?  Try swapping out the PX for another device and run the sequence into the PX via MIDI DIN.

Well it might be because MOTU make good quality midi gear, I have a couple of them that have worked for many years, never a problem through thick and thin and many OS updates that have killed other gear.

Thats what you pay for.