How to get the most out of P8?

How to get the most out of P8?
« on: January 31, 2016, 03:58:26 PM »
Hi guys,

I've been using the P8 for a few weeks now still fairly new to it. My thing is I dont seem to like alot of the presets that are on the synth and I cant seem to tweak them as much in detail as I'd like to with the given envelope knobs. Are only sawtooths available as a basic raw oscillator? how would you go about getting a Sine wave started? I'm still new and trying to get around the basic functions still by fiddling around with the knobs.

Could anybody give me some advice on how to get the Most out of the P8 synth? What are its best features and uses in Daw style production?

thanks for any help!

Sacred Synthesis

Re: How to get the most out of P8?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 07:06:35 AM »
DSI presets are generally intended to demo an instrument's capabilities.  They tend to be overly busy, so as to impress the listener.  They are often not that musically useable.

If you go to program 128, Bank 1, you'll find a very plain sound from which you can begin designing your own sounds.  The Prophet '08 offers triangle, sawtooth, triangle-sawtooth, and pulse waveforms.  A square wave is achieved by setting the pulse at "48".  A basic sine waveform is achieved either by using a triangle waveform and trimming back the cut off frequency, or else, by turning up the resonance all the way in 4-pole mode and adjusting the frequency and Keyboard Amount.  But before trying this, do make sure you've turned the volume down to a minimum, or you'll blow your speakers and your ear drums!

I would suggest experimenting with the 2-pole filter setting with the resonance up all the way; this creates some smooth and Oberheim-ish filter sweeps and static settings.  Also, the ability to layer two sounds means that only your creativity is the limit.  Combining two contrasting sounds - such as one with a slow attack and the other with a fast attack - can create wonderful effects.  Also, don't forget to experiment with the B Output option on the back of the instrument.  This allows you either to pan each layer for rich stereo depth, or else, to process them differently.  Again, combining sounds with contrasts is very effective.  For example, you could have only a touch of reverb on one sound and an immense amount of reverb on the other sound combined with a slight delay from the envelope.  This creates an ethereal echo.  There is just so much musical potential in the Prophet '08.  Enjoy, experiment, and be musical with it!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 07:10:40 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 10:41:59 PM »
DSI presets are generally intended to demo an instrument's capabilities.  They tend to be overly busy, so as to impress the listener.  They are often not that musically useable.

If you go to program 128, Bank 1, you'll find a very plain sound from which you can begin designing your own sounds.  The Prophet '08 offers triangle, sawtooth, triangle-sawtooth, and pulse waveforms.  A square wave is achieved by setting the pulse at "48".  A basic sine waveform is achieved either by using a triangle waveform and trimming back the cut off frequency, or else, by turning up the resonance all the way in 4-pole mode and adjusting the frequency and Keyboard Amount.  But before trying this, do make sure you've turned the volume down to a minimum, or you'll blow your speakers and your ear drums!

I would suggest experimenting with the 2-pole filter setting with the resonance up all the way; this creates some smooth and Oberheim-ish filter sweeps and static settings.  Also, the ability to layer two sounds means that only your creativity is the limit.  Combining two contrasting sounds - such as one with a slow attack and the other with a fast attack - can create wonderful effects.  Also, don't forget to experiment with the B Output option on the back of the instrument.  This allows you either to pan each layer for rich stereo depth, or else, to process them differently.  Again, combining sounds with contrasts is very effective.  For example, you could have only a touch of reverb on one sound and an immense amount of reverb on the other sound combined with a slight delay from the envelope.  This creates an ethereal echo.  There is just so much musical potential in the Prophet '08.  Enjoy, experiment, and be musical with it!

Firstly thank you for the great advice. Its just when I choose program 128 it seems as though all the functions such as Envelope 3 and low pass filter section dont seem to respond when I tweak one of those knobs from those areas. Is there an option where all functions on the p8 can be "turned on" supposedly?

For example if I choose a random sound I noticed not all the knobs from the Envelope 3 will do anything to the sound. And the Low pass filter cut off knob doesent seem to work on certain sounds as if the sound is not connected to that area? I may not be wording my issue correctly but It seems not all Knobs are doing much basically. Certain random presents will be effected immediately but then you have the others in bank 1 and 2 that do not do anything.

I need to keep exploring the synth first of all but it would help if I can get some extra guidance. I am working on a project currently and have limited time on experimenting with the synth. I cant wait to free up time after this short project is done so I can dive in and really get familiar with the p8

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 11:22:36 PM »
Please don't be offended by my comments, since I have no idea how experienced or inexperienced you are with synthesizer programming.  Anyway, each function is turned on the moment you turn the parameter and see it registered in the window.  However, turning certain parameters may have little or no effect because they're often dependent on other parameters.  For example, if you turn the Attack up in Envelope 3, nothing will happen unless you've selected a Destination and an Amount.  Even with the filter Frequency, if you're using a layered program, turning that parameter without pressing twice and holding until it blinks the Edit Layer B button will mean that you're altering the filter of only one of the layers, and that may not even be noticeable.  But if you've got a simple plain program like #128, turning the filter frequency knob should have an effect.

The Prophet '08 is an ostensibly simple instrument...until you really get to know it.  Then you realize how massively capable it is.  I would say, study the manual assiduously and try to be systematic in your exploration of the instrument.  You'll get there.

Jason

• Bandmix
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 05:39:04 AM »
I have only had my '08 for about three months, and so I can easily identify with feeling a little overwhelmed by this wonderful instrument. I have learned a lot over these months and am feeling much more comfortable now. I've programmed quite a few patches that I'm very pleased with and am now exploring some of the other patches that are available to download from the DSI website.

There are a few very knowledgeable people here, who can be very helpful. If you haven't already watched them, I would suggest watching Starsky Carr's videos, starting with his wonderful overview:

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 07:37:50 AM »
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 07:47:14 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2016, 10:14:16 AM »
It might also be worth checking what the Global parameter PotMode is set to. If it is Relative or Passthru then it might explain why some knobs don't appear to do anything. I keep mine set to Jump at all times.

One of the key things to understand with the P'08 (and all other DSI synths) is how multiple modulation values to the same destination all add to each other. For example, if filter cutoff is a certain value then that will be increased by key amount, velocity and filter envelope amount. Often lowering filter cutoff doesn't appear to do very much if velocity, key amount and envelope amount are quite high.

As Sacred Synthesis states, the Basic Program sound gives a good starting point. Things like Envelope 3 won't do anything until they are assigned a destination and an amount. I would suggest not worrying about using envelope 3 or all the LFOs until you need them for a specific purpose. It's great having them available for those times you do need them but they are not essential for getting good sounds out of the synth.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2016, 12:42:54 PM »
It might also be worth checking what the Global parameter PotMode is set to. If it is Relative or Passthru then it might explain why some knobs don't appear to do anything. I keep mine set to Jump at all times.

That's a good point.  Isn't the factory setting "Relative"?  That would explain why a parameter didn't have an effect until it had been turned a certain amount.

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2016, 08:19:47 PM »
Please don't be offended by my comments, since I have no idea how experienced or inexperienced you are with synthesizer programming.  Anyway, each function is turned on the moment you turn the parameter and see it registered in the window.  However, turning certain parameters may have little or no effect because they're often dependent on other parameters.  For example, if you turn the Attack up in Envelope 3, nothing will happen unless you've selected a Destination and an Amount.  Even with the filter Frequency, if you're using a layered program, turning that parameter without pressing twice and holding until it blinks the Edit Layer B button will mean that you're altering the filter of only one of the layers, and that may not even be noticeable.  But if you've got a simple plain program like #128, turning the filter frequency knob should have an effect.

The Prophet '08 is an ostensibly simple instrument...until you really get to know it.  Then you realize how massively capable it is.  I would say, study the manual assiduously and try to be systematic in your exploration of the instrument.  You'll get there.

Hey thanks man, Its really clear now and no offense taken.

Appreciate it.