Pro 2 BETA 1.4.0.5 Bug reports

jg666

Re: Pro 2 BETA 1.3.1.23 Bug reports
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2018, 11:08:15 PM »
Great, but is there any manual for the added features?
Or do we have to explore for ourselfes (bug reporting is difficult then, when it is not clearly stated how it SHOULD work)
Sequencer lock on/off is available as soft button 4 in main program screen.

Very excited about this update, thank you!!! Question what does the Seq. Lock do?

I was a bit baffled by this to start with but I think when Seq Lock is on it keeps the current sequence in memory and when you change to a different patch it will still keep using the sequence from where you originally turned Seq Lock on.

That's my impression of it but I could be wrong, I just noticed it by trial and error :)
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2018, 11:11:20 PM »
Super update - thank you DSI team!

The ability to hold an envelope/LFO button and auto assign its dedicated destination by turning a parameter would be very helpful - so please, please get it implemented in the fantastic Pro 2.
DSI Prophet REV 2, Prophet X

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2018, 11:16:52 PM »
One bug I noticed is that old patches that used exponential FM sound very, very different. It seems to me that exponential FM is behaving very different after Linear FM was added.
Take for example preset P65 F7 "Masheen", if you remember how that one sounded, you'll hear how different it is now, sounds like a completely different patch.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 11:23:52 PM by mentalik »

jg666

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2018, 11:51:47 PM »
A word of caution... Don't make the same mistake as me and think that your Cue/Playlist will be ok without doing a backup! I didn't realise I'd lose all my stored Cue/Playlist settings when doing the reset globals stage of the update.

Oh well, you live and learn :)
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2018, 11:53:26 PM »

I was a bit baffled by this to start with but I think when Seq Lock is on it keeps the current sequence in memory and when you change to a different patch it will still keep using the sequence from where you originally turned Seq Lock on.

That's my impression of it but I could be wrong, I just noticed it by trial and error :)

From a brief play yesterday, it leaves the Sequencer button lit, as if you'd saved it that way in the patch. So if a patch's pattern is running already, the new one's will take over.
I've always thought it rather odd that when you press the sequencer's play button it doesn't do anything except tell you to press the sequencer button if not lit (a bit Hitch Hikers Guide To The Galaxy that one). This at least lets you be in 'sequencing mode' or not, regardless of your patch stored settings.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 11:55:33 PM by BongMystic »

« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2018, 05:49:31 AM »
Update - I'm quite wrong ;)

mosen

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2018, 12:24:34 PM »
I also notice a big difference in patches i used the exp. FM on the previous version.
They sound different with less "power" on the FM modulation. I checked if the exp. FM is loaded with the patch-thats not the problem. Bug in FM implementation of exp. FM?

Bartosz Kwiecinski

• Synths to make and do.
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2018, 01:22:22 PM »
If all LFOs selected the dedicated encoder don´t effect the parameters (Frequency, Shape, Destination) anymore. Only the four soft knobs work. Bug?

« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2018, 03:24:02 PM »
Here’s a doozy of a bug (1.3.1.23):
Press the Seq Lock button on any patch and immediately turn the Program Select encoder in any direction: the sound will change, but the program name will stay displaying the name of the program you had selected when you pressed “Seq Lock’.... This persists even even if you change to say a ‘Misc Params’ or ‘Oscillator’ screen for example.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 03:31:04 PM by Signifier »

jg666

« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2018, 03:32:23 PM »
Press the Seq Lock button on any patch and immediately turn the Program Select encoder in any direction: the sound will change, but the program name will stay displaying the name of the program you had selected when you pressed “Seq Lock’....

Yes I noticed that but wondered if it was deliberately showing the name of the sequence patch? I suspect you are right thought, it is a bug :)

« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2018, 03:19:10 AM »
Press the Seq Lock button on any patch and immediately turn the Program Select encoder in any direction: the sound will change, but the program name will stay displaying the name of the program you had selected when you pressed “Seq Lock’....

Yes I noticed that but wondered if it was deliberately showing the name of the sequence patch? I suspect you are right thought, it is a bug :)

I wonder if they could add a function using the “compare” button that lets you see both the patch from which the sequence was taken and the patch whose sound is currently being used to play that sequence.

« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2018, 05:25:11 AM »
Possible bug - sync to an external clock only works in round BPM? I've been using my Elektron Octatrack as source and noticed very sloppy delays in the Pro2. When I round up, they sound much better.

« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2018, 11:21:11 AM »
Possible bug - sync to an external clock only works in round BPM? I've been using my Elektron Octatrack as source and noticed very sloppy delays in the Pro2. When I round up, they sound much better.

Hi Bong Mystic. Can you please make a brief example demonstrating this behavior to us and email it to support (at) davesmithinstruments (dot) com? Thanks!
SEQUENTIAL

cbmd

• Sequential
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2018, 11:55:59 AM »
It would also be a good idea to try to test the delays with a secondary MIDI CLOCK source.  I've checked a Pro 2 slaved to Ableton with a tempo of 100.5 and am not noticing any troubles with clock sync'd delay times.
Product Designer
Sequential | Oberheim

« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2018, 12:30:20 PM »
It would also be a good idea to try to test the delays with a secondary MIDI CLOCK source.  I've checked a Pro 2 slaved to Ableton with a tempo of 100.5 and am not noticing any troubles with clock sync'd delay times.

OK, will do. I've been using an Octatrack as master and noticing things not very tight but that it seemed 'right' when I changed tempo to a round number. Another delay running from same clock always very tight so have never suspected it.
Will do proper digging tomorrow and send audio/details.
Thanks.

dslsynth

« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2018, 02:09:55 PM »
Nice update! Its good to see Pro 2 receive so much love. Hope to see future DSI designs having a similar sequencer.
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2018, 03:45:20 AM »

Good call. I spent more time testing today and discovered that the clock source and tempo are indeed relevant. I'd been working at low tempii (e.g. 60.6) and noticing a degree of flam between the delays and initial notes. Changing the clock source from the Octatrack to my Cirklon sequencer, the flam is almost entirely eliminated - and hardly noticeable at higher tempii.
I had also not been comparing like to like, having my 'good' delay (an Elektron Analog Four) running in mono while forgetting to do the same for the Pro2 delays.

So it's all good, apologies for the over-eager report. (Now back to trying to get those tunings to load ;)

« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2018, 08:15:53 PM »
So it's all good, apologies for the over-eager report. (Now back to trying to get those tunings to load ;) )
Did you or anybody else get the tunings to load? I tried a few times after I updated the os with no issue but the tunings 2-17 are still blank.

« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2018, 03:03:04 AM »
Did you download the separate tuning file? And load it via sysex after you updated to the os beta?

That worked for me.

I tried to load the tunings before updating the os. It didnt work. But it worked to load them after i updated the os.

When loading in the tunings there should be no feedback on the oled display at all.

« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2018, 09:32:48 AM »
Did you download the separate tuning file? And load it via sysex after you updated to the os beta?

That worked for me.

I tried to load the tunings before updating the os. It didnt work. But it worked to load them after i updated the os.

When loading in the tunings there should be no feedback on the oled display at all.

Yup, i did all that.  Updated OS first, verified working. Sent tuning sysex, no response as anticipated. But also no change to the alt tunings 2-17.  Tried a few times.  There must be a trick to it?!?  Does it matter what state the synth is in, global settings or something I'm missing? I just turn it on and send the tuning file (via usb, worked fine for os,) but so far no change.  I'll keep at it and hopefully it will stick... i'm looking forward to this particular feature!