One Amp envelope for each oscillator...possible ?

One Amp envelope for each oscillator...possible ?
« on: July 27, 2018, 04:14:34 AM »
I don't think it's doable, but who knows ?

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
Re: One Amp envelope for each oscillator...possible ?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2018, 05:49:57 AM »
Nope... not possible... but you can do it via stacked mode... press both split and stack buttons at the same time, choose to copy layer A to B, hit write... now you have two identical layers, and you can set each layer completely independant of each other... thus you have two AMP envelopes.... in addition to all the other stuff... Stacked mode is more useful than you'd probably think :)
If you need me, follow the shadows...

jg666

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2018, 06:01:40 AM »
Nope... not possible... but you can do it via stacked mode... press both split and stack buttons at the same time, choose to copy layer A to B, hit write... now you have two identical layers, and you can set each layer completely independant of each other... thus you have two AMP envelopes.... in addition to all the other stuff... Stacked mode is more useful than you'd probably think :)

Now why didn’t I think of that! :) great tip, it’s got my brain churning now thinking of what else I could be doing with this. Thanks
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2018, 06:21:59 AM »

Now why didn’t I think of that! :) great tip, it’s got my brain churning now thinking of what else I could be doing with this. Thanks

... a lot actually... one trick i use quite often is to use layer B as an "FX layer"... I copy layer A to B, then I choose a delay on layer B, and set the FX Mix to 100%... after that i control the mix amount with layer B's volume parameter... both layers are then playing the same sound, but you only hear the repeats from Layer B...

Why not use a delay on layer A instead? ... well... because you can make all different kinds of crazy delays this way... if you transpose layer B an octave up or down you'll have pitch transposed delays... if you change the attack and release parameters on the AMP envelope, you can get softer repeats... if you change the cutoff to darker, you'll have darker repeats, even with the stereo delay... you can even copy in totally different layer programs and have delays that play along in a delayed fashion to the main layer A sound...

You can also copy layer A to B, and then hard pan each to the left and right for very wide stereo perspectives without any beating like with a standard chorus...

There are loads of options when using layer B... :) ... only drawback is the halved polyphony, but 8 voices should be enough for most tasks anyway...
If you need me, follow the shadows...

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2018, 06:26:33 AM »
Super nice advice ! I've had my rev2 for 24 hours only. Totally overlooked the stacked programs.

jg666

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2018, 06:37:11 AM »
Super nice advice ! I've had my rev2 for 24 hours only. Totally overlooked the stacked programs.

I’ve had mine for about 10 months and still forget about using the stacks to do things like this! I was a DSI noob before getting my Rev2 though so I will use that as an excuse for me not thinking about all this sort of stuff ;)

Thanks once again Razmo and apologies to the original poster if I’ve inadvertently hijacked your thread :)
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2018, 10:33:02 AM »

... a lot actually... one trick i use quite often is to use layer B as an "FX layer"... I copy layer A to B, then I choose a delay on layer B, and set the FX Mix to 100%... after that i control the mix amount with layer B's volume parameter... both layers are then playing the same sound, but you only hear the repeats from Layer B...

Why not use a delay on layer A instead? ... well... because you can make all different kinds of crazy delays this way... if you transpose layer B an octave up or down you'll have pitch transposed delays... if you change the attack and release parameters on the AMP envelope, you can get softer repeats... if you change the cutoff to darker, you'll have darker repeats, even with the stereo delay... you can even copy in totally different layer programs and have delays that play along in a delayed fashion to the main layer A sound...

You can also copy layer A to B, and then hard pan each to the left and right for very wide stereo perspectives without any beating like with a standard chorus...

There are loads of options when using layer B... :) ... only drawback is the halved polyphony, but 8 voices should be enough for most tasks anyway...

First thing I'm going to try tonight!! Thanks

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2018, 06:09:50 PM »
Stacking is also a cool way to get 2 effects on the same patch. Copy A to B sans effects, add phaser to A and reverb to B, adjust layer volume and effect depth as needed.

Or get multi-head/multi-tap delays by copying A to B and setting the delay times at different rates for rhythmic patterns--especially useful on more staccato patches.

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2018, 04:22:39 PM »
Great tips! Thanks!