Vangelis Harmonica patch

Vangelis Harmonica patch
« on: July 26, 2018, 09:48:11 PM »
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a patch to recreate vangelis's harmonica sound on spiral album and blade runner blues, so if someone has a patch or could explain me where to start to create harmonica sound, thank you in advance.
Best regards.

Re: Vangelis Harmonica patch
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 10:01:49 PM »
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a patch to recreate vangelis's harmonica sound on spiral album and blade runner blues, so if someone has a patch or could explain me where to start to create harmonica sound, thank you in advance.
Best regards.

Blade Runner Blues is a Saxophone not harmonica!
Synth Arsenal - Access Virus TI Polar, Moog Sub37, Nord A1, Nord Wave, DSI Prophet REV2, Roland TR8, Ableton Push 2

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2018, 10:34:41 PM »
Hi everyone,

Best regards.

Blade Runner Blues is a Saxophone not harmonica!
Thank you for the info, and if you know how to make it on rev2, please let me know  ;)

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2018, 12:09:28 PM »
After a few hours, I finally made myself a patch of blade runner blues harmonica, it's pretty close  :D

And DHtech it's harmonica not sax  ;)

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2023, 05:30:25 AM »
REV2 is perfect for emulating this patch. It is harmonica, not sax, although some tracks on the ost do feature sax. I recon you  are looking for the famous lead patch from the main theme and tears in rain.
I usually do this on Prophet 10, but REV2 has that brassy filter, as well as 2 pole mode that makes it slightly closer to CS-80.
What it is is two oscillator layers:
- square with pwm
- CS 80 shark fin saw - you can mod shape of the saw or go for saw-triangle osc. Normal saw will do too, these are really nuances.
Vangelis has used this patch in many other pieces, altering the envelope and modulation, but the core sound is the same - find the right blend between these two sound sources, you can have fairly short envelope attack to be able to play harmonica - style stuff over string machine layer like Blade Runner Blues does, or increase attack to have it almost as a pad. What makes this sound so special is also the manner of playing and the poly aftertouch of the CS-80, but you can get close on REV2. If you have a nice chorus and reverb pedals or plugins, ofc, these are essential part to that vibe. I will post a video soon showing this patch, will attach it here too.

Jason

• Bandmix
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2023, 05:01:13 AM »
I’m another big fan of Vangelis and also work on trying to recreate these sounds on the Rev2. I’m looking forward to hearing your examples and would be grateful for any suggestions. I’m a little surprised at your hypothesis that the core sounds of the Blade Runner Brass and Blade Runner Blues sounds are essentially the same. I had assumed that the Brass sound was two saws but will definitely try one saw with a square. Do you have any preferred LFO settings for PWM?

I’ve heard it said that the Blade Runner Blues patch is comprised of two square waves with PWM. I think it sounds perhaps like a pulse of are 31%. However the best version I have heard is in a Vangelis set of sounds for the Omisphere, which uses a single Saw. The CS-80 Saw isn’t as pure a Saw as on modern gear. Have you had luck in getting closer by modulating the Rev2 Saw and if so, to what number? Do you use PWM with that?

Thanks so much,
-Jason