2nd hand rev 2 what to test

2nd hand rev 2 what to test
« on: July 26, 2018, 10:49:13 AM »
Hi all

I am a new rev 2 desktop owner. Had the opportunity to buy a 16 voice at what I think was a great price from a dealer so have a month to check it out fully.

A couple of questions...

I was surprised that the plug came with a 13A fuse. For a 22W (?) device this seems far too high. Is that the correct fuse?

Can you please suggest some things I should test to see if it has any issues/faults?

Glad too see a new OS has recently been issued. I have updated and all seems pretty well so far.

ARP Hold. Would love to be able to take my hands off the keys to play along with my other instruments. Is this likely to be "fixed?" What work arounds do people use?

Thanks

Steve

jg666

Re: 2nd hand rev 2 what to test
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 11:50:57 AM »
There is an ARP hold. It’s the hold button just to the right of the Unison button on the desktop version if memory serves me right (I have the 16 voice keyboard version)
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2018, 12:16:49 PM »
Thanks for the reply.

When I press the hold button the Arp does not continue to play when I release the keys.

I have tried this with both the  global - sustain arp settings. Is this a fault or normal current behaviour?

pressing and releasing the foot pedal stops the Arpegiator?

jg666

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018, 02:00:04 PM »
Thanks for the reply.

When I press the hold button the Arp does not continue to play when I release the keys.

I have tried this with both the  global - sustain arp settings. Is this a fault or normal current behaviour?

pressing and releasing the foot pedal stops the Arpegiator?

I don't use a foot pedal so not sure if that's why your behaviour is different with the hold button?
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2018, 02:27:37 PM »
I don't think it makes ant difference weather or not the foot peddle is used or not.

the behavior I am after is the equivalent of the latch button on the sub37.

ill try a few things but thought I'd read somewhere that this was something the rev 2 didn't do.

thanks for the replies

Steve

jg666

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2018, 02:50:30 PM »
I don't think it makes ant difference weather or not the foot peddle is used or not.

the behavior I am after is the equivalent of the latch button on the sub37.

ill try a few things but thought I'd read somewhere that this was something the rev 2 didn't do.

thanks for the replies

Steve

You can hold a chord or individual key presses or an arpeggio on the Rev2. I do it all the time. On my Sub37 I can only latch the arpeggios but on the Rev2 I can hold more than that.

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2018, 04:09:01 PM »
I've had a bit more of a play and now tried the Rev 2 with several other controllers and it is something strange with the controller keyboard I was using.

I was intending (and hoping) to use my Kawai K4 partly as it has after-touch and is currently sitting below the Rev 2. I wonder if there is something strange/antiquated with the MIDI implementation?

The hold button works as I would have expected with the Sub 37 and a Triton I have also tried as controllers.

I was starting to think something was wrong with the Rev 2!

Thanks again for your replies.

Best wishes,

Steve

jg666

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2018, 12:40:40 AM »
You're welcome :)

It's also worth making sure that you're running the latest firmware and that it has been calibrated.

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2018, 12:51:29 PM »
Thanks. firmware up to date and calibrated.

making a start on learning my way around as a part of the process of testing it.

Any more suggestions on things to test to identify any possible issue would be greatly appreciated.

thanks again.

Steve

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2018, 02:37:12 PM »
Also in my original post I queried the 13A fuse. Are there any UK users who could comment in this/check their plug?

thanks

Steve