Gated Sequencer destination list

Gated Sequencer destination list
« on: July 26, 2018, 05:00:46 AM »
Hi there, I just received my Prophet Rev-2. But I also own an OB-6, a Pro-One and a DrumTraks.
So hello !  :)

I am trying to route a Gated Seq track to the amplifier envelope's Attack. So I select "Env VCA" as destination. I can't hear any effect. "VCA Att" produces no effect either. Is this a bug, can someone confirm please ?

BTW, I find some of the destination names confusing. Anywhere to find their signification ?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 05:07:16 AM by chapelier fou »

panic

Re: Gated Sequencer destination list
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 06:09:22 AM »
I actually never tried the sequencer to modulate the amp attack, but normally the destination should be "vca att".
Then, enter your sequence steps: high values for steps with slow attack, low values for steps with quick attack.

2 things to take into acount:
- all modulation sources "add up" and "can't exceed 100%". Meaning, if you already had the vca attack programmed to high value (slow attack), the sequencer will not have a lot of effect to add (can only make it slower up to the max value)
- if your program has a slow release (high value for VCA release), the vca does not have the time to close substantially after each step. And because it retriggers from the value it is at, you will not hear a lot of change.

So to hear the full effect: program you patch with amp attack at zero and amp release at zero, then program your sequence

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2018, 12:59:35 PM »
Thanks for the reply.
Actually, I think this is really a bug. It doesn't make any effect, or worse, it produces the opposite effect.
Take a sound, with 0 Attack and 0 Release.
Select "VCA Att" as destination for the sequencer track. Enter a high value for step one. Select a very slow clock. You'll hear it has no effect.
But worse : then, manually change the Attack to a big value. Now when the sequencer reaches step one, it should produce a very long (maximum) attack. Result is the opposite. For this step, Attack will sound as 0.
Is there any changelogs for the firmware updates ?

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018, 01:07:53 PM »
Thanks for the reply.
Actually, I think this is really a bug. It doesn't make any effect, or worse, it produces the opposite effect.
Take a sound, with 0 Attack and 0 Release.
Select "VCA Att" as destination for the sequencer track. Enter a high value for step one. Select a very slow clock. You'll hear it has no effect.
But worse : then, manually change the Attack to a big value. Now when the sequencer reaches step one, it should produce a very long (maximum) attack. Result is the opposite. For this step, Attack will sound as 0.
Is there any changelogs for the firmware updates ?

I've tried it. The higher the value in the step the faster the attack.

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2018, 01:55:21 PM »
So it would be inverted, isn't it ? I guess you're right. If in the contrary I set my Amp Attck to the full value, I can make it shorter with the sequencer.
It seems that it subtracts the value to the knob value instead of the contrary. So, according to me, this is a bug. It should be the other way, shouldn't it ?

panic

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2018, 12:36:45 AM »
Tried it last night on my mopho (don't have a rev 2 (yet)), and indeed, same inverted behavior as you describe. So at least it is not a new bug, I run an old OS on my mopho keyboard.
At least you know the solution now, and if it really bothers you, you can always invert the sequencer which makes it work the way you want (but of course sacrificing a mod slot).
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 12:59:06 AM by panic »

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2018, 12:40:08 AM »
I don't know whether it is a bug. The behavior is not listed in the manual so it may be by design.

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2018, 03:58:38 AM »
Tried it last night on my mopho (don't have a rev 2 (yet)), and indeed, same inverted behavior as you describe. So at least it is not a new bug, I run an old OS on my mopho keyboard.
At least you know the solution now, and if it really bothers you, you can always invert the sequencer which makes it work the way you want (but of course sacrificing a mod slot).
ha ! use a Mod to invert the sequencer output, that's a clever idea !